“Birthday Dinner”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 2,479 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed November 20, 2017 via mobile

I made a Wednesday night reservation here for my husband's birthday about one week in advance. The day of our reservation I called a little past noon to push the time back half an hour and they were able to accommodate. The woman I spoke to on the phone was very friendly. She verified the pronunciation of our last name and that we were celebrating a birthday, then asked whose it was.
On arriving the front doors were opened for us by a valet. We were warmly greeted at the front desk and offered coat check. We were promptly seated. The ambience in the restaurant is classy yet cozy- comfortable and romantic. There is a business casual dress code here.
We sat at a large corner booth that could have seated 4 people easily. We were given standard menus as well as a digital (tablet) drink menu. Our waitress introduced herself and was very good to us all evening. She always referred to us as Mr/Mrs [last name] and made sure our drinks never got too low. She went over the menu and came by frequently l, as did the manager, to make sure everything was to our satisfaction.
I did my best not to fill up on toasty, fresh-out-the-oven bread and butter.
My husband ordered a bone-in NY strip and I chose the barbecued shrimp entree. We also split a side order of potatoes au gratin. As our server explained, the sides are large enough to be easily shared by two or three people.
My husband loved the steak. It arrives on a 500 degree plate with butter sizzling away around it. My sauteed shrimp was perfectly cooked and tasted delicious. The au gratin had good flavor but was lacking in presentation and cool in the middle. I found it rather chewy, so I would say that it was not done in the middle at all.
After the meal was cleared away my husband was presented with a little apple dessert cake with vanilla bean ice cream. When she saw me get out my phone for a photo the server kindly offered to take it for me. She took one of just my husband with his dessert and several of us together.
Overall the service here is exceptional- best I've experienced anywhere. The entrees and dessert were delicious. The side dish was not properly cooked. Normally we have special dinners at Bynum's Steakhouse and this time we wanted to try someplace new. If it's up to me in the future I would go Bynum's as the portions there are a better value. Personally I want more of my money to show up on my plate than in the service I receive.

Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Ruth’s Chris is always a mainstay for us in Indy. It is pricy but you can share large portions and split if you are portion conscious like us. Valet is a plus! Nice to drive up and go in!

Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes casserole and porterhouse for 2 is great!!

Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

Had a large group dinner here. The cheese trays were good but, the crackers were cheap - like Ritz and saltines. Very odd. The salad dressing was bitter. The steak was very good and cooked well. Members of my group were also very pleased with the salmon.

Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

Dinner was great as usual. And as usual, too pricey. The bone-in filet was as tasty as I have ever had. My co-workers had the ribeye and said it was very good as well. But just wished it wasn’t so expensive. I could eat there more often.

Reviewed October 14, 2017

Visited Indy for a Garth Brooks concert. I never dined at Ruth Chris because it's expensive.Glad I did. The brunch was definitely worth it. The buffet had anything you would want.