“Too many rooms/guests and not enough amenities.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown
Ranked #101 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed over easter weekend, and there was a basketball game, so i am sure it was more packed than usual. Tiny pool was always super crowded and out of control. Breakfast was good, but always out of stuff and had to wait, and again too many guests for the area offered. Room was ok. Check In/ out awkward due to hotel design, not enough room for cars coming and going. It was ok but would try another hotel if we went again. Staff was all very friendly and good.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank cornbuzzard

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was recommended this hotel by the Hilton phone reservations when my choice hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn (which I highly recommend) was booked. I needed a suite type room for my family with 2 small kids.

The atrium and entrance is typical very nice Embassy. The rooms are nice, nothing that says luxury - but nice. The pull out bed for our 6 y/o was terrible. You could only feel springs, no cushion/cover over them. She woke up 3 times in the night being poked. The main bedroom king mattress was only slightly better. The decor and other things were nice enough.

The on-site breakfast while initially attractive was a mess, not enough staff, food poorly made (oatmeal was soup at best), not to even mention the highly pitched omelet/made to order breakfast station was never staffed in our 40 minute visit. It included your typical hotel breakfast buffet, eggs, meats, juices, toast, cereal. Other food quality was ok.

On a positive note, the connection to the mall, indoor walk to the Rhythm Discovery Ctr and more was incredibly convenient and nice to have. The hotel is awkwardly positioned in town, but don't let that stop you. It works to its advantage as well.

Service was generally ok. I encountered 1 bellman who was great and 2 who were lousy. Same for the front desk folks. The main entrance/bellman stand was completely understaffed. I was told I couldn't use a cart myself (after waiting a while). The Mgr ended up being called to assist.

All in all, it was a very average hotel with unfortunately not so great of an experience for us. I was expecting and "sold" a nicer than the Hilton Garden and was extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: I understand now (after reading this site) there may have been renovated rooms - ASK!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ali M
Reviewed 28 March 2012

OK. I have read a lot of reviews that warned me about the parking garage, so I was expecting the absolute worst. It was not hard to find if you come in on Washington. If you are driving north on I-65 and taking EXIT 111, you will be turning left on E. Washington. You will see a large glass area above the street called ArtsGarden. As soon as you drive under that, watch your street names. You will pass Illinois Street, and the Embassy Suite parking garage is the only parking garage ramp between Illinois Street and Capitol Street on the right hand side. It is immediately before a theatre on the right. You can't miss it. I am staying there now, and so far it is a typical Embassy Suites.. which is good to me.

I did bring my two and five year old, and one of the men (bellhop/concierge) at the entrance to the garage was very helpful and told me to just return when I was ready to unload my car. He went with me to my car in the garage, and we quickly unloaded everything on a cart which he brought to the room. So far, the service has been very good.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This hotel is a good hotel, but very difficult to park and get into and out of. The elevator to the lobby level is the size of a phone booth that is more like a dumb waiter to go up in with bags and luggage. The escalator is also small and narrow. Parking is an adventure with very tight parking stalls and tight turns into and out of. It would be a much better entrance if it wasn't up at least one level, (closer to two) and then often crowded with cars, which makes it difficult to walk to the parking garage or into the entrance.
There are good points at this hotel from the breakfast in the morning and snacks at early evening time, which is the Embassy Suites way. The downside is this hotel seems to have been ‘force-fitted’ into the Indianapolis downtown.
Embassy Suites is a good hotel brand, but this location just doesn’t say ‘come back’ because of the above to us. This property is good once inside, but its the coming and going that just makes things uncomfortable. Compare to their properties in other cities, like Covington, KY (Cincinnati), or Omaha and they do say ‘Come Back’ and they are right.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cbMoline
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Great location, awkward entrance though. Room was nice, liked breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This hotel was expensive but is in a good location if you are going to Banker's Life Fieldhouse. Their biggest problem is they advertise free made to order breakfast but do not have enough staff for the breakfast crowd. We were there for 4 nights and each morning the lines were long for the made to order breakfast because they had at the most 2 of the 3 stations open. I went through the buffet line. Every morning they were out of items. Items like, eggs, sausage, forks,coffee or other items. It appeared the management did not know the hotel was full.
The wifi is $ 11.95 for 24 hours. I logged on and charged it to my room the first night and then couldn't get on the next morning. They wanted to bring a booster unit to the room and I decided I didn't want to be bothered. They did take the $11.95 off my bill. If you stay at this hotel don't bother to pay for wifi.
The rooms need to be updated. Carpets are old and worn as are the furnishings.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
ESManagementTeam, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

We are very happy you selected our hotel and visited our city for the Big 10 tournament!! I was obviously very disappointed to hear that our breakfast experience was not what you expected as we do pride ourselves in providing a high quality breakfast regardless of demands. I will look into this immediately as this is truly not typical of how we handle high demand during our breakfast service.

in regards to the updating of our guest suites, we have recently completed renovations on 9 of our 12 standard guest floors and apologize that you were on one of the 3 that were not. Although we feel that these floors are well maintained and clean, it is true that they are not recently renovated. In addition, we are less than 3 weeks away from increasing our high speed service to a level that will be as quickly to navigate as to that of a key stroke. Please let me know when you are back in Indianapolis as I would be happy to ensure you are in one of our renovated suites and that you have a superior experience.

Kind regards,

Mark Brown
Assistant General Manger
(317)236-1906

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Pleasant 2 night stay here recently - the room was very nice, staff were excellent, and breakfast was decent. But the entrance is just bizarre: a dark, unkempt, twisting alley shared with an entrance to a parking ramp, about 40 stair steps, and an unmanned entrance into a dark well of escalators. I've never stayed in a hotel that didn't have a main floor street entrance. We were very uncomfortable walking through here after a late game, and won't stay here again. If you have a stroller, wheelchair, or any sort of infirmity, you'll never get inside. It's too bad, because otherwise it's a good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends