“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #79 of 179 Hotels in Indianapolis
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

It's only a few months after the Super Bowl, so all downtown hotels should still be looking good after being polished up for the big event. That's the case for the Embassy. Check-in was quick, room looked updated and was comfortable, and breakfast wasn't the typical zoo and the made-to-order omlette was especially good. I really had nothing to complain about - but it was a quick one-night stay, so didn't do much to really test the property.

Indianapolis has suddenly become a good town for Hilton-affliliated properties, so this might not be the best choice for an HHonors members (note that status recognition was simply by-the-book). Obviously, the Conrad is a big cut above, the Hilton offers nice large room/suite opportunities, and the Garden Inn, Homewood, and Hampton are all in distinctive repurposed buildings. Happy with this choice, though - have good memories of the Embassy from years ago (this hotel has been part of the downtown scene for some time now) - didn't see the types of difficulties other reviewers reported.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
ESManagementTeam, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your kind words regarding our property. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your quick stay with us. We also know that you have many options when it comes to selecting your hotel of choice and appreciate your connection with our facility. We are very excited about the fact that we have renovated most of our suites and are very confident that you will continue to see improvements moving forward at the Embassy Suites Indianapolis Downtown.

Kind regards,

Mark Brown
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Harrisburg, Ohio
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I have stayed in many Embassy Suites, new, remodeled and dated. Have yet to have a bad experience. The things people complain about..... If you are looking for R&R, get a rental house with a pool and a kitchen and cook your own meals! If your spending time in the hotel, yea you might be dissapointed, but if you use it for what it is designed for, sleeping accommodations, sh__, shower and shave and hit the road! Enjoy all the shops and restaurants that Downtown Indy provides. I will continue to stay there every year for the SuperX event @ Lucas oil Stadium.
BTW, you can enter the hotel via the mall to avoid the cars unloading and entering and exiting the garage.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

I was in need of a room on short notice. .

The room-- awesome view of downtown, spacious and very tidy!

The food--- called for room service 5 minutes before closing. The runner was sweet despite having to work after hours to fulfill my order. Although pricey, the food was good. On the other hand, ffree breakfast buffet was great!! Made to order omelets, bacon, sausage etc. Yum!

The service-- booked through Hotwire and was happy to find out I would be staying at the hotel in downtown Indy. Prior to arrival I called to request a late check in and a late check out. I was allowed both. Front desk and food servers were fantastic.

Stayed April 2012
Southern Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed over easter weekend, and there was a basketball game, so i am sure it was more packed than usual. Tiny pool was always super crowded and out of control. Breakfast was good, but always out of stuff and had to wait, and again too many guests for the area offered. Room was ok. Check In/ out awkward due to hotel design, not enough room for cars coming and going. It was ok but would try another hotel if we went again. Staff was all very friendly and good.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank cornbuzzard
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was recommended this hotel by the Hilton phone reservations when my choice hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn (which I highly recommend) was booked. I needed a suite type room for my family with 2 small kids.

The atrium and entrance is typical very nice Embassy. The rooms are nice, nothing that says luxury - but nice. The pull out bed for our 6 y/o was terrible. You could only feel springs, no cushion/cover over them. She woke up 3 times in the night being poked. The main bedroom king mattress was only slightly better. The decor and other things were nice enough.

The on-site breakfast while initially attractive was a mess, not enough staff, food poorly made (oatmeal was soup at best), not to even mention the highly pitched omelet/made to order breakfast station was never staffed in our 40 minute visit. It included your typical hotel breakfast buffet, eggs, meats, juices, toast, cereal. Other food quality was ok.

On a positive note, the connection to the mall, indoor walk to the Rhythm Discovery Ctr and more was incredibly convenient and nice to have. The hotel is awkwardly positioned in town, but don't let that stop you. It works to its advantage as well.

Service was generally ok. I encountered 1 bellman who was great and 2 who were lousy. Same for the front desk folks. The main entrance/bellman stand was completely understaffed. I was told I couldn't use a cart myself (after waiting a while). The Mgr ended up being called to assist.

All in all, it was a very average hotel with unfortunately not so great of an experience for us. I was expecting and "sold" a nicer than the Hilton Garden and was extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: I understand now (after reading this site) there may have been renovated rooms - ASK!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ali M

Travellers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 March 2012

OK. I have read a lot of reviews that warned me about the parking garage, so I was expecting the absolute worst. It was not hard to find if you come in on Washington. If you are driving north on I-65 and taking EXIT 111, you will be turning left on E. Washington. You will see a large glass area above the street called ArtsGarden. As soon as you drive under that, watch your street names. You will pass Illinois Street, and the Embassy Suite parking garage is the only parking garage ramp between Illinois Street and Capitol Street on the right hand side. It is immediately before a theatre on the right. You can't miss it. I am staying there now, and so far it is a typical Embassy Suites.. which is good to me.

I did bring my two and five year old, and one of the men (bellhop/concierge) at the entrance to the garage was very helpful and told me to just return when I was ready to unload my car. He went with me to my car in the garage, and we quickly unloaded everything on a cart which he brought to the room. So far, the service has been very good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This hotel is a good hotel, but very difficult to park and get into and out of. The elevator to the lobby level is the size of a phone booth that is more like a dumb waiter to go up in with bags and luggage. The escalator is also small and narrow. Parking is an adventure with very tight parking stalls and tight turns into and out of. It would be a much better entrance if it wasn't up at least one level, (closer to two) and then often crowded with cars, which makes it difficult to walk to the parking garage or into the entrance.
There are good points at this hotel from the breakfast in the morning and snacks at early evening time, which is the Embassy Suites way. The downside is this hotel seems to have been ‘force-fitted’ into the Indianapolis downtown.
Embassy Suites is a good hotel brand, but this location just doesn’t say ‘come back’ because of the above to us. This property is good once inside, but its the coming and going that just makes things uncomfortable. Compare to their properties in other cities, like Covington, KY (Cincinnati), or Omaha and they do say ‘Come Back’ and they are right.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business