“Good for variety”

Christos New City Grill
Ranked #23 of 239 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

We went to City Grill after moving a student into Purdue. We found the menu to be quite extensive, a large variety of foods, including breakfast. We stopped there at an odd hour, between 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon. Our table ordered the BBQ pulled pork, the BBQ bacon hamburger, and a meal-type salad. The BBQ sauce is sweet and tasty. The hamburger was huge. The pork BBQ was so big you couldn't pick it up. Waffle fries were good and plentiful. Salad was fresh. Our server was attentive, even though she was the only one working the 4 or 5 tables of customers at the time. The artifacts sitting around as decorations are interesting. Nothing is shiny, bright and new at this place, but if you want large servings at a reasonable price, this is the ticket.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

This was a Perkins level kind of place...but they do have a full service bar. Go figure. We came for late lunch but some of us ate breakfast. The portions are crazy huge and the food is decent. Our waitress was very nice and helpful.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

The menu has a wide variety of options so it is easy for everyone in your group to find something g they like. Clean and a friendly staff.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

You must go to this restaurant -- they have this amazing chicken and waffles dish with fresh warm apples -- It was absolutely delicious. Not to mention their apple pie...it was very yummy. A must place to eat.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

I've been to Christos twice in the last couple of weeks with my Grandparents and other family members. For whatever reason, it had actually been a couple of years since my last visit, so I was curious to see how (or if) things had changed. While I wouldn't describe my two recent experiences as poor, I definitely can't say they were great either. Overall, I felt like both visits were very ordinary and commonplace, hence the title of my review.

First, I'll start with the positives:
1) Large menu with a wide variety
2) Plenty of space

Acceptable/As Expected:
1) Prices. There aren't any "great values" or "specials" on the menu, but the prices aren't exorbitant either. They are exactly what you'd expect for this type of restaurant.
2) Food Temperature/Quality. On my first visit, I had the Pulled Pork Sandwich with Fries. The Sandwich was good but certainly not the best I'd ever had. The waffle fries were decent. Honestly, they tasted just like the ones at Chick Fil A. On my second visit, I ordered the Pork Tenderloin sandwich. This was quite tasty. I've eaten many of these in my life, and while I wouldn't give it a 10/10, it was easily an 8/10. The Mashed Potatoes were subpar. They appeared to have been sitting for a while as the top had that hard "film" on them you sometimes see. The flavor really wasn't that good and they were quite runny underneath the film. My sister ordered the Pot Roast stack and was very underwhelmed. I tried it and would definitely agree. My mom ordered the Cheeseburger, so I tried that as well. She ordered it Medium Well, but it was cooked much closer to Well Done for our liking. The flavor was far from exceptional compared to some other local burgers (Spurlock's).

Negatives:
1) Wait Staff. On both visits, I was given ZERO drink refills unless I specifically asked for one. Both times, I tried to give the waiter the benefit of the doubt since we had 5-8 people at our table, but neither waiter ever noticed. Honestly, the second waiter struggled a bit in general in regards to touching base with us and communicating. Basically, he took our order and brought the food. We had to help him along and ask for everything else. He never offered us dinner rolls either, despite the fact that many in our party had ordered dinners. The previous waiter took forever to bring us dinner rolls too, but he did eventually bring them. I'm wondering if there is a policy to try and avoid giving guests rolls to save money? That definitely is what it seemed like.

Although I probably won't choose Christos myself in the future, I will inevitably return with friends or family. I'll probably order breakfast next time to see how that compares to other breakfast options in town. I'm hoping for a more positive experience.