La Quinta Inn Merrillville
US$89
US$140
US$126
TripAdvisor
All reviewshard boiled eggsroom was cleanproteinpetshighwayinns
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I rated it average, because it is, but nothing 'wrong' really, just not unusual or great. It is a good value-- better rate than anywhere else nearby that exit. We have stayed there twice now; had good experinece both times. Free, hot breakfast (waffles!). We go through Merrillville once or twice a year on the way home to visit; this will be the place we stay from now on.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We were in town to attend a wedding and this was the hotel that the bride recommended. When we pulled up to this hotel my first thought was "What did we get ourselves into?" The outside of the building REALLY needs some work. The parking lot has several pot holes and the paint on the outside of the building is chipped in some places. Since we were only staying one night we said we would just deal with it and went to check in. We got to our room and we were pleasantly surprised! The room was immaculate! The furniture was a little old but the room was very clean and neat...The staff was very friendly and helpful with anything we needed and the free breakfast in the morning was a nice added touch.

The hotel could definitely use some updating but don't let the outside appearance run you away because inside it's nice and clean.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

With just 10 days notice in peak summer traveling season we easily reserved rooms here for a Sat. night stay - we needed two of them, were traveling with 2 dogs, so had been worried. We were told we’d get rooms next to one another and on the 1st fl. That didn’t happen. When we arrived the place was jammed, and our daughter, her child, and their dog had to stay on the 2nd fl. in a totally different wing. Not convenient for a variety of reasons. Anyway, I guess the lesson learned is, don’t trust the reservation clerk at the 800# - you won’t necessarily get what you want.
Our room was “ok.” The dead-bolt lock didn’t work, but we were too tired to complain. The towels were thin. There was a cricket in bathroom. No big deal, we survived! The outdoor pool was small and very crowded, but our granddaughter enjoyed it nonetheless. Wifi very unstable (I had no connectivity the next morning when trying to check our route on line).
The staff were very nice. The king-size bed had a pillow top, which I appreciated. They do accept pets, but La Quinta policy (which I actually agree with) is not to allow pets left unattended or in public areas. The hotel is located next to a large mall and lots of other motels, and so there were plenty of grassy areas to walk them.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

had a horrible experience with their personnel putting my life in jeopardy and when i told them about it, they said they would investigate and get back to me. I guess they didn't care because I never heard from them. I would walk 10 miles in the dark to avoid this woman.i would never go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is truly one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. We only stayed because my son's baseball team was there and they didn't want to be separated.
The hotel is in a very run down area. The parking lot and front entrance are very confusing and when you pull up it looks like a motel with the doors on the outside. We knew it was trouble when there are signs posted "not responsible for loss of vehicle or contents" When first walking in the first thing that hit us was the odor. Obviously it was treated with some kind of air freshener to cover up a different smell. The breakfast area was small and cramped - maybe only 4 tables. Check in was easy and front desk staff very nice. The rooms were cleaner then the halls and "lobby" (breakfast area). There is no lobby or gathering area to speak of. When first checked in the room was acceptable and beds and pillows very comfortable. When we woke up first morning there were several "roly-poly" bugs on bathroom floor. Some still crawling. We ignored them and made sure all of our items were off the floor. Not convenient! After being out for several hours and returning at night after a long, hot day watching/playing baseball we returned to an unmade room. When I caledl the front desk, they asked if we had the DND sign in the door. I said yes but only until 11 am and when we left we took it out. I was told by front desk attendent that house keeping was gone for the night and they only check at 8 am for the DND signs and if its in the door at that time they skip over the room and do not recheck that day. I asked for fresh towels and was brought some. Bugs were still on the floor. The next day we again had the DND sign on door until 10 and removed it. Before leaving for the day, I called and asked to have room cleaned and told them about the bugs. They said it would be taken care of. Upon returning, beds were made, fresh towels were left and that was it. Bugs still there and comfortors still crumpled in the corner. The next day we walked the long walk to the front desk and asked personally asked to have the room 100% cleaned. Upon arrival back (all baseball was rained out that day) to hotel, beds were made and fresh towels, but bugs were still there!! I stopped a house keeper in the hall and asked if they were done with our room. She said yes and I proceeded to tell her about the bugs on the floor for 3 days. She said she called maintenance and they have to come in and spray. I asked her if she would sweep them up and she said she could but they would just come back anyway so I should wait for maintenance. I told her dead bugs won't come back so I needed them swept up. She proceeded to clean them up and I sat down to write this review. We are still here and the team all agreed to tough it out just because it's easier to do that then move an entire team of 12 year old, parents and families with varying budget and ride restrictions. In addition, other hotels in area not available with 12-14 rooms for our group due to several tournaments in the area. Other members of the group have had similar issues with the rooms. Just a horrible place to be. In addition, we had to spend additional money to eat out at breakfast because it was too crowded and wouldn't dare bring food back to the room due to bug issues. Never again!!!

Room Tip: Only 1st floor is non-smoking.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family