“Will never stay at a HI Express again because of this experience.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64

BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Will never stay at a HI Express again because of this experience.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

My family and I stayed here in an overnight stay. After changing rooms, because we asked for a higher floor before we checked in and were not given one, we noticed that every vacant room on our floor had a door open. We thought that was strange and asked the clerk why that was so, and we were told by the clerk that the staff just does that for their own reasons. In one of the rooms, the TV was still on.

At night, and this is the reason why I'll never stay at a HI Express again, I heard a large banging at the door. I awoke to find another family trying to get into our room. It seems as when my room was changed, the card to open the door did not block out any other cards. If I didn't put a lock on the door, this other family would have walked right in. When I called security, because the other family refused to believe that I had the room, I was questioned as to why I was in the room. It wasn't until I went downstairs (and treated as if I was a criminal) that the mistake was realized. I was given $10 off my stay. I should have been given a free night.

The next morning, the family who tried to get into my room thought it was hilarious that my family was awoken in the middle of the night. It also turns out that other guests had the same experience. One guest walked into a room with a woman already sleeping in it.

Not safe, not professional. The pool was also dirty with cigarette butts in the table holes for the umbrellas. The towel area was dirty. The breakfast area was also pretty shoddy. We couldn't wait to leave.

I had been a Holiday Inn customer for twenty years. I will never go back after this experience.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank discod43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

When we checked in, the clerk asked us three or four times to donate to a kid's camp that they are raising money to support. Once was more than enough. She just kept asking. There were no luggage carts for either check-in or check-out. The manager told us that people hide them in their rooms. The elevator by our room malfunctioned and the doors kept banging open and closed. We called the front desk and they said they didn't have anyone who could fix it. We listened to the doors banging for what seemed forever. The breakfast was OK. The pancake machine was making quarter sized pancakes. The staff member who was working the breakfast room just kept saying there was nothing wrong with it. Finally, a guest figured out how to fix it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank annie13128
GHSsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
I would like to thank you for your recent review of our property. If not for your honest opinion of our services, we would not be able to correct issues for future stays for yourself or other guests. Although we are proud of the efforts our staff has put forth to raise money for Give Kids the World, we have asked that they make themselves more aware of their enthusiasm, and make sure they are not pushy. We appreciate your informing us on the issues you had at Breakfast. We have reviewed the training manual with all new team members so they know how to properly operate the Pancake Maker, the newest addition to our complimentary hot breakfast bar. We apologize for the response you received regarding our elevator. Although we have had no further complaints, we have had both elevators serviced and have made sure all team members know the proper protocal when addressing such issues.
Again, thank you for taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

If you are visiting Louisville and don't mind staying about 10 minutes away from downtown, this is a good choice. It's right off the I-64 after you cross the Ohio River into Indiana. I stayed here 3 nights and really liked it.

Even though it's no more than 100 meters from the Interstate, the hotel was quiet. The hotel seemed newly remodeled. The room was first class and everything worked. Free wi-fi too. The breakfast room is fairly large and I had no trouble finding a table even though the hotel was pretty full.

There is a Subway sandwich shop in the hotel that's open until 9 or 10 PM if you just want something quick for dinner. Also Waffle House is across the street.

There is a HUGE indoor swimming pool!! If you like swimming, this is for you :D

The price was much better than similar hotels in Louisville (I paid about $100/night inclusive of taxes). New Albany is worth a look too, the downtown area has a historic district.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MichaelMorrison
GHSsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Thank you for your kind words reviewing the newly renovated Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW located in New Albany IN. We are working hard to provide an excellent product and exceptional guest service, creating the best value for your money!
Thank you for acknowledging our efforts =C)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

My son and his soccer team recently stayed here for a tournament weekend. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast area/lobby were very nice. The location of the hotel is right off the highway, which makes it convenient and is about a 10 minute drive to downtown Louisville. While there weren't many restuarants by the hotel, there is a Subway Restaurant attached, which was also convenient.

The one thing that stood out about this hotel is the staff. The staff that I encountered at the front desk were extremely nice and accommodating. We had a group of about seventeen 16-year old boys (parents included) and even some of the parents commented on the nice staff. We appreciated their patience with our large group of kids and also appreciated the hotel's willingness to work with us on late check-outs. Customer service goes a long way and the staff made us feel extemely welcomed.

• Stayed April 2011
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

We were hesitant to stay here after reading past reviews, but had a pleasant stay. It isn't a new construction Holida Inn Express, but a remodeled 5 story. It appears all remodeling was done for our visit and the rooms and lobby looked like HI standard. Bathroom had the good shower head and arched shower curtain. Bed and bedding were standard, including the different pillows. Flat screen TV with cable. Fridge and microwave.

Breakfast area is large and was well "stocked" when we ate. Pool is indoors and area looked neat n clean...didn't take a dip.

The neighborhood is downtown New Albany. It has many charming old buildings and appears the area is being revitalized. Waffle House next door and cafeteria style place down the street. Not too many restaurants in the area, but right next to interstate. Nice river park a few blocks away.

• Stayed April 2011
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

Not a typical holiday inn, nice setup at the breakfast area and lobby. Manager special with some local wine and food. Great pool. All staff member were very friendly. I will come back. Jens wagner

• Stayed March 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

I was in charge of finding and booking hotel accomadations for an event with a large group. From my first meeting with the Director of Sales to the last day of our stay,our every need was met. This was no easy task for the staff ,since the Hotel was undergoing complete renovation,from new tile,wallpapering and guest room updating. I felt that I had to write a review,because despite all that was going on the entire staff went out of their way to see that we were comfortable.We used one of the banquet rooms for 3 nights,and every day it was cleaned and in impecable condition,as were our guest rooms. I have never seen a housekeeping service take such pride in their work.
Another great suprise was the morning breakfast! It was well beyond the normal with eggs,bacon,sausage etc.etc.
I would not hesitate to use this hotel in the future for personal lesiure or large events.

• Stayed September 2010
#26 of 95 in Louisville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,640 reviews
25.9 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Louisville East

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64? Share your experiences!