Baymont Inn & Suites Portage
Comfort Inn(Portage)
  • Breakfast included
Rodeway Inn(Portage)
View Hotel
All reviewshi expresspet feeroom was cleantoll roadupon checkeasy accessexercise roomwould definitely stay here againdesk clerkcollettefreewaymichiganmicrowavegame
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Joanie was really great to us the whole time we were there. Definitely the sort of friendliness and helpfulness that I've come to expect from HIE. We really liked the pool toys being available, and my son thought the pancake machine was especially fun. The overall experience was good until the very end where they fell short by hurrying us out the door (we had requested late checkout, one of the perqs of the hotel club, and had been given the okay and then told that morning that they were not permitting late checkouts that day) and then not calling us as they said they would to follow up on the matter detailed below.

The last night we were there, the water coming from the tap was salty. We contacted the front desk who got maintenance right away. From my vantage point in the pool, I was able to see him scurrying about working hard to get the problem fixed. What I didn't appreciate was the following morning and next day the manager and other staff acting like we has imagined the whole thing -- saying things like "We tasted the water and it was fine." Yeah, it was fixed by then. No one went into the room (my husband was there the whole time) to taste the water at the time. It seemed from what I observed that he knew what was causing the problem and fixed it. I then had to deal with my husband pestering me about what was wrong with the water, despite the fact that my guess was that it was a simple malfunction with the water softener, but couldn't get it from the horse's mouth to satisfy him. Then to have to deal with the staff acting like we were crazy, and not calling us as they said they would after they talked to the maintenance man. Even if they just called to say "We don't know," we would have felt like they were trying to follow-through instead of dodge the question. They also never came to fix the electrical outlet, which still had metal sticking out of it when we left, and I reported that the first morning. I got quite a shock from that thing when I unplugged the blowdryer provided in the room from that hidden surprise.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2011

The Pros:
Near the turnpike, near Chicago, great beds, affordable, generally a clean place, nice family friendly pool area, nice breakfast, free cookies in the lobby, and not far from many places to eat.

The Cons:
When we arrived the staff were absent and there were trash bags in the front lobby and nearby hallway. when the staff did finally greet us the staff were friendly. In our room the shower was dirty with empty and used shampoo bottles.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank OhioTea
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Chose this place mostly because of my Priority Club membership and needed a place close to work. Outside of property isn't terribly inviting and doesn't give a good first impression. But inside lobby is nicer. Front desk staff professional and friendly, meeting basic expectations. PROS: great wifi sig, nice strong shower pressure, walls aren't too thin, close to restaurants. CONS: seems like refurb property but reasonably clean and appears to be well maintained, finishings a little old.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Stayed here for a weekend away. Staff was friendly and seemed to care about my stay. The bar/grill is pretty good next door. Would stay here again. You folks rock.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed for 2 days while in a road trip. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great! We enjoyed the pool and fitness room. The beds were very comfortable and would stay here again. 5 star service for a 2 star price!

• Stayed: November 2010