“Staff are nice, but our room was old and dingy...”

Holiday Inn Express Portage
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Portage
Cleveland, Ohio
“Staff are nice, but our room was old and dingy...”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Cashed in some PC points for this room. This property needed to do some convincing to win me over, but they certainly did. I was quite disappointed with our room (309). It was below the standard I expect from HIX. Yes, they have a new bed, so that is good. But the rest of the room has very cheap furniture intermixed with very old stuff that probably has stuck around since this place was a HI property. Also, the carpet is pretty dirty. The room looks bare and sort of institutional, as do the bathrooms. I read some reviews saying they have renovated rooms and I just can't seem to figure out if this room is renovated. Newish furniture and bed, but oldish looking carpet? Still, overall, the place comes off as sub-par for HIX.

But the sleep and the service won me over. They are very friendly and when we showed up a little late for breakfast, there was not much left. So they made us some extra meat and eggs, even though they would not be ready until breakfast was officially over. So, overall, they get a recommendation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alwayssummer82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Joanie was really great to us the whole time we were there. Definitely the sort of friendliness and helpfulness that I've come to expect from HIE. We really liked the pool toys being available, and my son thought the pancake machine was especially fun. The overall experience was good until the very end where they fell short by hurrying us out the door (we had requested late checkout, one of the perqs of the hotel club, and had been given the okay and then told that morning that they were not permitting late checkouts that day) and then not calling us as they said they would to follow up on the matter detailed below.

The last night we were there, the water coming from the tap was salty. We contacted the front desk who got maintenance right away. From my vantage point in the pool, I was able to see him scurrying about working hard to get the problem fixed. What I didn't appreciate was the following morning and next day the manager and other staff acting like we has imagined the whole thing -- saying things like "We tasted the water and it was fine." Yeah, it was fixed by then. No one went into the room (my husband was there the whole time) to taste the water at the time. It seemed from what I observed that he knew what was causing the problem and fixed it. I then had to deal with my husband pestering me about what was wrong with the water, despite the fact that my guess was that it was a simple malfunction with the water softener, but couldn't get it from the horse's mouth to satisfy him. Then to have to deal with the staff acting like we were crazy, and not calling us as they said they would after they talked to the maintenance man. Even if they just called to say "We don't know," we would have felt like they were trying to follow-through instead of dodge the question. They also never came to fix the electrical outlet, which still had metal sticking out of it when we left, and I reported that the first morning. I got quite a shock from that thing when I unplugged the blowdryer provided in the room from that hidden surprise.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 1 April 2011

The Pros:
Near the turnpike, near Chicago, great beds, affordable, generally a clean place, nice family friendly pool area, nice breakfast, free cookies in the lobby, and not far from many places to eat.

The Cons:
When we arrived the staff were absent and there were trash bags in the front lobby and nearby hallway. when the staff did finally greet us the staff were friendly. In our room the shower was dirty with empty and used shampoo bottles.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank OhioTea
NYC
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Chose this place mostly because of my Priority Club membership and needed a place close to work. Outside of property isn't terribly inviting and doesn't give a good first impression. But inside lobby is nicer. Front desk staff professional and friendly, meeting basic expectations. PROS: great wifi sig, nice strong shower pressure, walls aren't too thin, close to restaurants. CONS: seems like refurb property but reasonably clean and appears to be well maintained, finishings a little old.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Stayed here for a weekend away. Staff was friendly and seemed to care about my stay. The bar/grill is pretty good next door. Would stay here again. You folks rock.

• Stayed December 2010
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed for 2 days while in a road trip. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great! We enjoyed the pool and fitness room. The beds were very comfortable and would stay here again. 5 star service for a 2 star price!

• Stayed November 2010
Monterey, California
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We stayed here one night while on a road trip cross country. We payed a little over $100 for a night. It was right next to the I80 ramps. The beds were so comfortable and the room was very quiet. All of us slept great...better than we had in nights! It was clean and comfortable. When we checked in popcorn and cookies were available. They had a great morning breakfast with a variety of coffees, cinnimon buns, sausage, eggs, biscuits, gravy and bagels. Free wifi was also available. The Bass Pro is nearby. Would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
2.5 km away
0.2 km away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 10 in Portage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portage? Share your experiences!