“A definite return trip planned”
Review of Super 8 Portage

Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Portage
Terre Haute, Indiana
“A definite return trip planned”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We were meeting ou grandchildren and their mom to stay a couple days. We wanted access to a fishing spot so my husband could take his grandsons fishing for the first time. Never being up that way to stay I had no clue what we would be getting, but cost was a big factor. We got to the hotel and I was impressed. The staff was soooo friendly, it was an older hotel but very clean. Plus, there had been updates in places. Alot of truck drivers use it since it is close to Chicago and even they were friendly with conversations. It was only 10 minutes to Lake Michigan and a wonderful fishing pier. We had a great time. No pool at the hotel but we didn't need it. We will go back again. Not much for breakfast but there was a Dennys across the street. Great place for the money..............

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I have stayed at a few Super 8's, but never stayed at one this bad. We had a smoking room. Which for a smoking room didn't smell bad, but the floor was black. I never took my shoes off. Box springs were old and stained. If it was a $20 dollar room it would have been fine, but we paid $63. There are many hotels in this area, wish we stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Portage hotels

Brookfield
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Even in a snow storm - don't go!!! Smoking room, OK, I travel and have been in smoking rooms before. This place sucked - we did not get into the room until around 10:30PM (prior commitment). Stunk - carpeting full of cigarette holes and stains - lamp shades ready to fall apart and stained, flimsy at best - dusty, furniture nicked and sliver-ready. The bathroom is equal to a low quality gas station. No fillers in the cracked tile floors, dirt and who knows what in the corners built up to over 1/2" hgh. The sealer around the bath tub was yellow and the toliet was cracked. What a mess. I got a non-refundable rate, but am pursuing a refun anyway. Keep all children OUT. I should have burned my money instead. Health Department should visit

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed here on a vacation and I loved the price but I am willing to pay a little more next time for a nicer hotel. It may be time for an update here. The bed was very uncomfortable and we skipped on the free basic breakfast and went to Denny's. The walls were super thin and I didn't want to take my shoes off or sleep in the bed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2009

My wife, our dog, and I stayed there on August 9th, 2009. The staff loved our dog, which pleased us. But overall we felt it was an average facility.

The hotel seemed clean, but its frayed appearance made for an unpleasant atmosphere. There was a free breakfast but we decided to skip it, and instead went to the Denny's down the road, next to the Days Inn. This facility caters to truckers, all of whom were nice. But my wife said she would have felt uncomfortable had she been traveling alone.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband, dog, and I spent four days at the Super 8 in Portage, IN. We were very pleased with this dog-friendly place. Our room was clean and well kept. We were in room 326, a king suite. It was one large room, with a sitting area. It had a fridge and a microwave. There was plenty of grass around the parking lot to walk the dog. The employees were friendly. Breakfast was simple: juice, cereal, muffins, but enough to put something in your stomach. We'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
WESTERN PA
Reviewed 3 August 2008

stayed 2 nights w/ son doing college visit in the area and visiting family in chicago. would have been difficult to find off I80/90 without GPS, but very easy on and off I94 (close to ramps - 1/4 mile?). had problems checking in - person in front of me had no reservations and clerk thought she had one room left. her computer froze three times while she was trying to search. i almost interupted and asked that i be taken care of because i had reservations, had just driven 9 hrs, and it was 12:30 am eastern time (i live on eastern time). finally that person was taken care of and we were able to get to our room. 2 dbl room was large enough for the two of us - we were only there to sleep.
wireless internet access was easy and we had no problems.
elevator was broken, so we had to go up three flights of stairs - not a problem for us, but may have been for other travellers.
we were on third floor (non-smoking), but had to pass 2nd floor (smoking floor) - held breath as we climbed the steps. our room was clean, beds were comfy (and we got an extra hr of sleep d/t being in midwest). bkfst was ALL starch - bagels, muffins, but coffee was pretty good - provided a good start until we could hit a quick fast food bkfst.

would stay again if just myself and son, but not wife and whole family.

• Liked — price,coffee
  • Disliked — difficulty during check in
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
0.7 km away
1.7 km away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 12 in Portage

Been to Super 8 Portage? Share your experiences!