“OK, though not inspiring”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yamato Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi
Ranked #30 of 116 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Reviewed October 11, 2017

This place is in a strip mall next to Richmond's Krogers. But it is also almost the only sit-down restaurant on that side of the city. The menu is pretty extensive, and pretty much original and comprehensive for an American-Japanese restaurant. I ordered the oyster katsu and a rainbow roll. The oysters were surprisingly fresh, and not at all bad. The rainbow roll was poorly assembled and a bit loose, but the ingredients were pretty fresh. The presentation of both was "midwestern," shall we say ... the oysters on iceberg lettuce, and the roll cut unattractively. In sum, both for taste and for presentation, this place is OK, but no better than that. The food quality is better, but not spectacular.

Reviewed April 20, 2017

I did take out here and using the website was efficient and accurate. I was not impressed with the sushi. The fish was on the small side but what bothered me most was the rice did not seem completely cooked. I would not go here again.

Reviewed December 2, 2016 via mobile

Quick and to the point:

The server was good: friendly, accommodating, checked on us regularly, and supplied what we requested.

Why a 2? My vegetarian husband and I ordered vegetable hibachi, his with tofu. They charged us an additional $2 for tofu, and held back in the vegetables. Let's talk about the vegetables. In a handful of onions, I had two slices of carrot, some broccoli, mushroom and zucchini. Emphasis on the onions. So my husband paid $13 for a bowl of rice, shredded lettuce (salad), tofu, and onion encumbered stir fry. The soup however was delicious.

Let's talk about the other reason for the 2. Up on a tv, and posted in the lobby area, were photos of I'm assuming a birthday tradition. The tradition involves wearing a stereotypical Asian mask. Could you imagine going to a hamburger joint in, I don't know, Africa, where, to celebrate a birthday, you wear the mask of a white cowboy? Classy Yamato.

Reviewed November 5, 2016 via mobile

First time try this restaurant and we really liked the food, location, and the staff. You need to try if you have never been to a Japanese restaurant.

Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

We have been to Yamato numerous times since it opened and the food is always really good.
The last time we went there the restaurant was starting to get dirty. Not to the point of being afraid to eat there it just needs a good thorough cleaning. Not what you would expect with their prices.