“Food is getting better”
Review of Denny's

Denny's
Ranked #49 of 66 Restaurants in Shelbyville
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Tried a new item on the menu and it was great. Others in the party seemed pleased with the food. Everything overall was average, nothing stood out as bad.

Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

My family and I, total of 11 people, stopped in here on our drive back from vacation at the beach. We spent a long day driving and thought we could rely on Denny's good food and service to end our day. Sooooooooooo not so! It took approximately 16 minutes for the waitress to recognize we were waiting to be seated (only 2 other tables had people sitting at them). We ordered a variety of different items. My wife's fish looked like it had been dropped on the floor. None of the toppings were on it, and waitress on two separate occasions said she would bring out he garlic bread and never did. My steak was ok but not to Dennys standards. It took 45 minutes for the food to get to us and waitress blamed the cook staff for the long time.
This place sucks. The Dennys in Sneads Ferry North Carolina was SOOOO much better.

1  Thank Derek T
Reviewed March 9, 2017 via mobile

Stopped for breakfast while on the road. The food was exactly what I expected, but I had to flag down a waitress to get a refill on my coffee, and had to do it again to ask for a glass of water. There was a party of two in the booth next to me who almost got up and left before anyone asked if they wanted anything to drink. No one asked if I needed anything else, just dropped the check off on the table. There was lots of staff on duty, because I could see and hear them laughing joking in the kitchen. Then when I paid the check, prompts for the tip started at 18% and went up. This is not a stop I will make in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2016 via mobile

We thought our waitress was having a bad night but then we realized the other two were making the same mistakes. Nothing major but just forgetting drinks, silverware and our dipping sauces for ten minutes after we asked wasn't the best (obviously). The hostess saw we were waiting on something and finished the job for our waitress. She acted like it was normal for her to do so. It took quite a while but once the food arrived to the table it was very delicious. I would avoid this Denny's if it is crowded at all, you might spend an hour and a half inside.

Reviewed June 28, 2016 via mobile

Wouldn't recommend going here. I must have been unlucky but literally everything went wrong and everything just agitated me throughout my attempt at a lunch.

So decided to go here for lunch because I wanted breakfast. I haven't been to A Denny's in years so my expectations weren't high, but I wanted some sunny side up eggs, hash browns and bacon. I was greeted and seated quickly, and that was the end of the good service.

I sat and waited for quite a while before anyone showed up to take my order. I went ahead and ordered coffee with cream with my breakfast thinking it would be out quickly. It was not. I could hear the somewhat surly young lady who took my order telling them in the back that she had to clock out because her shift was over and tell someone else to key in my order (I knew it was mine because I wound up getting the red white and blue slam because the pancakes looked good).

Still no coffee.

The lady that came in behind me was seated at a booth and sat for quite a while as well. She won the award for the day because it made her mad enough that she was not waited on that she got up and left. 3 waitresses walked past her and never said a word. She didn't either, but I get why she got up and left.

My food came out fairly quickly. The odd thing was that most of it was cold, which surprised me. Bacon was cold, hash browns cold, eggs were lukewarm. Pancakes were hot, so guess that was ok. I ate it all anyway because that's what I wanted.

Still no coffee, so I asked the different waitress who brought the food out if I could get a cup of coffee and a water maybe and she apologized and said sure.

The booth next to me had ordered before I got there, their meal came out well after mine and apparently was butchered pretty badly. The lady at the table spoke up and asked for several corrections which were handled and brought up, but I could here them speaking to each other in frustration because they had to ask again for all the things they asked for when their order was placed.

Coffee showed up about halfway into the meal, no cream. Not the end of the world, the pancakes were so sweet I just left the coffee black. Bad move, coffee was dreadful, tasted like it had been brewed in a burnt pot and had been sitting for hours. I had 2 sips and then tried a bunch of sugar. No help. Thankfully had a water to wash everything down.

With coffee you'd expect the waitress to come back often to warm the cup but no such luck. She didn't show back up until my plates were clean and I had started typing this review on my phone. She saw I didn't need a coffee refill since I had barely touched it but still left the bill with the coffee on it. I should have asked for it to be removed but given how badly everything else had gone I just wanted to leave. $2.09 for two sips of bad coffee.

Kevin Price (the general manager) was kind enough to ring me up at the register. I started to tell him about my experience but he was very short and not terribly friendly (not rude, but very perfunctory) so I just stuck to paying and leaving.

The food was ok for being cold. But I won't be back. Just disappointing all the way around since I like a decent breakfast for lunch or dinner every now and then. Guess I'll stick to the Bob Evans down the road.