“Great meal”

American Pancake House
Ranked #32 of 303 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 23 August 2017

This restaurant was well known for its apple pancake in the past but the pancake seemed to suffer a bit after new owners took over. On a whim, my family and I stopped in while on a weekend trip and we were pleasantly surprised to find the pancake had become more like the one of old. It is big enough that my wife and son could not finish theirs in one sitting (I struggled to finish mine).
The restaurant is clean. It can become quite busy at times but there is almost always enough staff on duty to keep up with demand.
Our waitress was Sandra and she was more than capable. Sandra returned to our booth several times to make sure we had everything we needed but did it in a manner that was not pushy.
The wait for the food was not bad but considering the moderate crowd at the time, I thought it could have been a bit faster.
All in all I recommend giving them a try.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

First, they understand the term 'soft scrambled' when describing eggs. Food was well prepared, plentiful and inexpensive. Service prompt and friendly. Lots of local color in the clientele.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

1.0 star rating 7/6/2017
I've been here twice. Both times it was not as clean as I would like. The food is the standard greasy breakfast diner food. Nothing bad, nothing great. The atmosphere and cleanliness kill it for me.

The second time I decided to give it a try was the final straw. We waited 20mins for a table. Then we were seated in the big room. It was filled with large groups. We were brought a slimey looking bowl of melon and some water by someone. Immediately we were turned off by the potential "quality" of food. If what they bring you before you order looks that unappetizing it doesn't instill confidence in their food.

We waited 5mins or so and the waitress brought us a pop and coffee. The coffee cup she brought had food residue on it. Not sure why she didn't use the clean one on the table. When she zoomed back by we asked for a different one. She apologized and brought a new. Still no straw.

We wait 15mins more. She had told us she was busy and would take our order after she ran some food. She ran multiple tables of food and never came back. The whole time my wife and I can't speak to each other without yelling because of all the noise. The room had an unappealing aroma. We just couldn't stand it anymore. We ended up leaving.

Between the dirty cup, the dirty menu, the overall cleanliness of the whole place, the inability to have a conversation, the lack of service...we won't be back.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

After all the great reviews, I expected more. It was okay. The building is older, but clean. The staff was friendly and the service was quick, so it was a good choice for a quick breakfast. My bacon was cooked nice and crisp, but seemed like it had been sitting there for a while before I got it. The bathrooms were clean and somewhat updated.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

WARNING, when your 12-ur-old orders the chocolate pancakes, don't let him order anything else, because he won't be able to finish....the cakes are Huge and Delicious. I also recommend the star spangled banner omelet-4 eggs. The service is fast and very fruendly. And the menu choices are AMAZING. HUGE MENU!!! LOVED IT