See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 8, 2014

We stayed here because we got Notre Dame tickets at the last minute which meant we had to find a hotel at the last minute - a tall order for a football weekend.
This was the only place in South Bend that we could find - and those are the only circumstances in which I would stay here.
The rooms were pretty disgusting. There are stains on the ceiling tiles, stains on the carpets, stains on the mattresses - you get the picture. The bathroom is particularly grungy. In fact, one of our group actually slept in the car rather than spend the night in the room.
The room was freezing - there was a quarter inch gap between the door and its frame (the door did lock properly).
The area around the hotel is run down, though there are a few fast food places close by.
It seemed like most of the guests were like us - just in for the game and needing a place to crash for the night. We shared a few laughs (and horror stories) about the condition of the rooms with them on the shuttle to campus (which runs hourly and is very convenient).
For what it's worth, the manager was friendly...

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank OscarHeycuff
Reviewed September 7, 2014

We chose this property due to availability and proximity to Notre Dame. We were there for the Michigan - Notre Dame game, 1 night, 2 rooms (another couple was with us). At check in the Manager was very nice and polite. Opened door of room 1, had a weird odor, room 2 had a different odor but still weird. We realized we likely would only be in the room post game for a few hours so no big deal. Right after check in we went to Campus. Arriving back around 1:00 am or so we see the Econo Lodge sign is turned off, and there is almost no exterior lighting (the surrounding area doesn't look to be the best by the way). We did not turn on the HVAC unit. Many surfaces had a tacky feel to them, making us want to wash our hands after touching anything (though the sink faucet sprayed water out the side when turned on). Much of the baseboard moulding had mold on them, and the grout in the shower area was disgusting. The tub base (I did take a morning shower) felt as if it was going to break under my weight (I'm not a big person). The room rate was not bad (full published rate at $145+ taxes given a big game weekend), but even at that price I expect general cleanliness. Not expecting a Peninsula Hotel experience. By the way we stayed in Room 1, our friends stayed in the neighboring room, though they said they slept in their clothes!

Room Tip: Try any other property in South Bend on Lincoln Way W, can't be worse than this one, however by looking at some of the exteriors of the similar category properties, many seem similar.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The free continental breakfast is available in the morning. The owners are very nice.
Rooms are spacious; the only thing the electric sockets loose for the small refrigerator so not sure that small fridge was on all the time. Also, the types of showers knobs are not my favorite to close all the way.
The place was clean but for safety, the electric plug should not be wiggly. This small fixing does give everybody the peace of mind.
It is close to the airport and easy to get to by car. From there, you can visit other attractions - South Bend Amish community 20-45 minutes away. You need to research on your own.
I would stay again. If you are on a budget, it is one of the choices in this growing area - noticed a great difference within a year how South Bend develops.

Room Tip: Continental breakfast in the morning. Very nice owners.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

At the price you pay for this place it's not that bad. This place isn't luxurious. It's old and the rooms have been beat down but I can tell you this ... for the money you pay especially on game day weekend - it's not too shaby.

The place isn't in the best neighborhood however I didn't feel that it was unsafe. There are four fast food choices right next to the place for a quick meal. The rooms also have a refridgerator in them which is very convenient that you won't get at other places. If you there to drink and get ready for the game these rooms are just fine. A shuttle taking you to the campus is comes and picks up here too as an added bonus!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank anonymousconnoisseur
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We got caught in a huge thunderstorm and needed a last minute place to stay. Due to a baton twirlers competition it was difficult to find an economy hotel booking.
When we arrived the pictures were NOTHING like the ones posted here. The parking lot had flooded due to the rains to the point where the water reached the bottom of the car door. I was afraid to park the car but the higher spaces were taken.
Upon opening the room door I knew it was going to be a long night. Each bed had noticeable dips(valleys) in the middle. The air conditioner was on arctic freeze and was so nasty I didn't want to touch it. When I turned on the heater in order to cut the chill, the fumes were so noxious and toxic I immediately turned it off. It was better to freeze rather than smell the fumes. The wall paper was peeling and the carpet looked to have once been green but was an indescribable color. We wore shoes at all times. In going to wash my hands at the sink I was again assaulted with noxious fumes from the water. Needless to say we used bottled water to brush our teeth. The breakfast selection was laughable and consisted of some dry bagels, danishes, cereal, orange drink and coffee. We tried to check out early to escape this horrendous experience but there was no one at the front desk. After 10 minutes of waiting we left leaving the key cards and a note at the desk. This should be the LAST place you seek shelter from a storm. I would have gotten better rest had I slept in my car. I'd like to leave at least one good point about this hotel but I honestly can't. It was truly SCARY AND UNACCEPTABLE.

Room Tip: Sleeping in your car would be better than staying here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family