All reviewsbasketball courtseparate buildingsthe penthousefull kitchennotre damemain buildingpros and consenjoyed my staybusiness tripyogurtgreat roomfree breakfastfireplaceprivacycampusrefrigerator
Reviewed August 4, 2017

We've always had positive experiences at the Residence Inn but this was not the case in South Bend. Housekeeping was horrible (that's worse terrible). This is what we found when we opened the door to our room: dusty furniture, smears on the windows and mirror, full trash can in the kitchen, empty wine bottles, popcorn all over the soiled carpet. When I called the front desk, the housekeeping supervisor said that sometimes the vacuum cleaner "backfires".
She did not vacuum but picked up each kernel, one by one! Everyday I had to ask for things...clean towels, dishwasher detergent, toilet paper, coffee...etc. Housekeeping is a joke!

Room Tip: All rooms are around the pool and the basketball court so expect noise during the day...it's quiet after nine when they are closed.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank miklaseneca
Eileen H, Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. As a Marriott property, we hold ourselves to the highest of standards. Your experience with us not only failed your expectations, but ours as well. We appreciate you informing us of the condition of your room and have addressed this with our housekeeping department to ensure this is an isolated incident that will not be repeated. We hope to have the opportunity to provide a different experience the next time your travels bring you to South Bend.
Thank you.

Reviewed July 28, 2017

Room was filthy. Spilled food in microwave, debris on floor looked like no vacuum. All surfaces looked like they had been wiped with a dirty rag. Smear marks. Mildew and something I can't even describe in bathroom floor/shower. If I had booked more than just a single night I would have been flipping out. Internet wouldn't work with my phone or iPad which is the first time that's happened to me in two years of business travel across the midwest. Manager wasn't much help. They did knock $100 off the rate of 229 but still unacceptable. Spent an hour on phone with Platinum Elite guest services and they weren't able to do much. Nearest property I could have moved to was 45 minutes away.
Social hour attendant was bordering on rude. Saw someone come in 15 minutes or so before they were done and he was told they were out of Coke when he asked for one. She told me that they had already gone through three bags of nachos for their nacho bar (30 minutes-ish before close) so she wasn't sure they had more. Ridiculous. Outside of buildings covered in spider webs/debris. Looked like not powerwashed or cleaned in years. Also note that I was told this was one of the first Residence Inn's in the US. All separate buildings they called houses and requires walking up a couple of flights of stairs if you're on 2nd floor. No elevators. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank b52thomas
Eileen H, Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Sir,
Please know that we pay close attention to our guest feedback and take reports of unsatisfactory experiences very seriously. As a Marriott property, we pride ourselves on being held to a higher standard and regret that we have failed to reach that during your stay. I have spoken with each department to be sure the rooms and grounds are addressed appropriately to be sure this is not a recurring incident.
We do appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum Elite member. I hope the next time your travels bring you to South Bend we have the opportunity to show you we are working hard to make sure these concerns are not repeated.
Thank you.

Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

We were greeted with a big smile by Joe at the desk, who was very knowledgeable about the property and local area. Joe made us feel instantly welcome! The hotel is a little tired on the outside, and the first room we were given was not the cleanest. A thick layer of dust on top of the fridge, smears on the mirror, fingerprints and drink marks on table and a distinct aroma of cat pee in the room. However, this was all overshadowed by Joe's warm willingness to move us to a cleaner room, which was better. The rooms are large and beds are comfortable and the hotel is close to the park and downtown. The other honorable mention goes to Janet, who served breakfast, and what a fabulous breakfast it is! By far the best we have experienced at all Residence Inns and TownePlace Suites. Janet served a full house alone! Approximately 30 guests, /2 of them arriving at 8.50am and there was Janet, serving everyone with grace and a welcoming smile! Meanwhile, front desk and 2 housekeeping staff proceeded to watch Janet and chat amongst themselves instead of lending a hand. This is also a great hotel for dog owners as there is a large dog park right across the road! Overall, a nice experience and we would stay again, purely for the great service provided by Janet and Joe who both have an obvious passion for service!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2017 via mobile

I was here for a baseball tournament at Notre Dame, we stayed in the penthouse suite very roomy, downstairs has couch, chair, TV king size bed, bathroom, kitchen and plenty of closet space. Upstairs has a queen size loft, with bathroom and TV The only downfall with this room has no privacy I was with my inlaws but it was managable I would stay again.

Easy parking near the rooms we were right next to the pool, and you didn't hear anything.

The breakfast was good, they serve eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, and more

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2017

Words fail to describe just how wonderful our stay was. The suites are roomy, and in a beautiful, peaceful setting. This was worth every penny of the very reasonable price. I would gladly get another suite, and hope t do so soon.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel