“Terrible, uneducated staff”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Rockport, Indiana
“Terrible, uneducated staff”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Husband and son stayed for work. In one week had 3 different authorizations on debit card. When he questioned the staff about is and the amounts, they insisted they were only authorizations and we would not be charged. They couldn't even explain why there were so many and for 3 different amounts. Guess what-2 of them went through and "as a courtesy" they are refunding one of them. Stay away or pay cash!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Paducah, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 July 2011

A family member booked a room for us for a (3 night) visit. We were not told what hotel until hours before checking in, and upon hearing Super 8 were a little wary. (We generally stay at higher star/rated hotels). The room was booked and paid for, though, and it was late at night so we reluctantly accepted our accommodations. Painting throughout the hotel looked sloppy (going on to baseboards, etc.), carpet looked like it could use a good cleaning, and the coin laundry machines sitting right in the hallway just seemed very odd, if not inconvenient were there to be passing traffic while someone was laundering. Our room appeared clean (carpet still iffy, bedspread worn) and the air conditioning, refrigerator, and microwave worked well (despite the air conditioning appearing old). Our hair dryer did not work, our discolored smoke alarm beeped intermittently, often at 2 in the morning waking me up on two of the three nights (my husband disconnected it the last night), and our room had an indescribable smell that you got used to after awhile but that nevertheless hit you upon entry ever time. The toilet had some discoloration, but the shower worked well and appeared rather clean in comparison to the hotel as a whole. Also, where many hotels will have four fluffy pillows at your disposal, this hotel had two incredibly flat, rather small pillows (not even standard I would venture to guess). If you're looking for a good price, and a room with the "extras" for not a lot extra (refrigerator, microwave, free wireless...which I loved), and don't care whether your room is outdated or smells a bit musty (moldy?), then give Super 8 a try. As for us, we'll try and make our own reservations at a different location next time. (I cannot comment on the cleaning of the room because we did not have them clean over the 3 nights. We were really only there to sleep and shower.)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2011

It was way cheaper than all the rest and clean, quiet, good a/c. Nothing too special, but great value.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The staff was not friendly. I asked where I could find a paper, and the guy behind the desk said across the way, not in a nice tone, so we walked over to the hotel where he pointed and no paper! We came back to find a paper rack in the Super 8. The halls stunk. Overall, I don't plan on staying here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank baronsfan9

Travellers are raving about these Terre Haute hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed at Super 8 in Terre Haute, IN for one night when I was driving to the Indy 500.
I got a bargain prepaid price from Expedia. My room was excellent. Front desk staff were courteous and helpful. Their free morning breakfast was just fine. All parking is free. It is an easy access to get off the freeway and get back on. For one night, at a bargain price, it was very good. The photos posted on Trip Advisor are perfectly accurate.

Room Tip: Book online in advance
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Asked for non-smoking room. It reeked. Should have demanded a refund and left. But we were tired and just wanted a nights sleep. The card on the bed was crumpled and soda stained but I ignored that. Cigarette burns on the toilet seat and discolored smoke alarm should have been the motivation to leave but we didn't. Slept ok but woke hen next morning to a dog yapping in the next room. Then the worst. I tried to take a shower and the tub spout was so corroded that I couldn't get the shower to work. I had to take a splash shower. Looked up at the shower head and it was just as bad. We didn't eat at the "free" breakfast for fear of it's cleanliness. BEWARE!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Timbuktom
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Super 8 Terre Haute, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
Thank you for choosing Super 8. We appreciate hearing from our guests and I would like to give you my personal apologies for this issue you encountered. I do want you to know that we did take this very seriously and took immediate action once reported to correct all issues. If ever you have questions during your stay, please ask to speak to the manager on duty so we can work to fix the issue right away. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve your lodging needs.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Upon pulling into the parking lot there were 5-8 men and women in the parking lot in front of the hotel drinking and being very loud. I went into the lobby to check in and found more of the same characters inside. As a husband and a Dad I thought I would check out the rest of the hotel before we checked in. As I walked down the hall I could hear music "thudding" out of several rooms along with the stench of smoke in a non-smoking hallway. Having only been there a few minutes I already felt the need for a shower. At the front desk I canceled our reservation and told the clerk we were moving on. She responded "I totally understand sir". Funny how she didn't ask me why or try to convince me to stay. Out in the parking lot my wife had the doors locked and she was ducked down in the seat hiding. She was ever so pleased when I told her we were moving on.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank afwxguy2002
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Super 8 Terre Haute, responded to this review, 16 July 2010
I’m concerned about the experiences you had at our hotel during your recent visit. I am writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn that you’re unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology.

Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There’s no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. That’s our goal.