“Favorite Restaurant in Town”
Review of Maza Mediterranean Italian - CLOSED

Maza Mediterranean Italian
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N Salisbury St
Description: We are an Italian and Mediterranean restaurant that aims to make honest food that is inspired by regional cooking throughout the Mediterranean. We"re always updating our menu and trying different approaches to our fare to bring something new and fresh to the area. We take our ingredients seriously. If it's on your plate, we chose it because it was the best we could get. Our cheeses are imported from Italy, France, and Spain or made at our favorite US creameries. We partner with local farms to bring you the freshest produce when it’s available. Our meat and fish without exception reflect our absolute desire to source the best. We also spend a huge amount of time refining our wine list, aiming to get a level of quality and value that matches that of the dishes.
Reviewed March 24, 2016

This is our go-to restaurant for a nice dinner out. The restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it is cozy and quiet. The menu changes often, sometimes it's better than others, but there is always something delicious on the menu. My husband loves the veal, which they didn't have last time, but I love the kebabs, which they just added back to the menu. The wait staff has always been courteous and friendly as well.

Reviewed March 6, 2016

I knew my daughter and I were off to a bad start when it was over 5 minutes to have staff acknowledge us standing there waiting for a reserved table, but it was downhill from there.

Maza is one of the slowest restaurants I've been to in several years; they had two servers working a total of like ten tables for Sunday brunch (served until 2, their dinner menu comes out after 5 PM). After finding out several items we wanted weren't even available, we both opted for omelets. Creative filling choices for sure, and they were well prepared, fried potatoes had a good Mediterranean flair.

However, having the waitress forget my drink then waiting 45 minutes for an OMLETTE just made me want to leave. Of course we couldn't since now down to all of three occupied tables in the restaurant our server disappeared for another then minutes. The owner poked his head out of the kitchen to check on...something, maybe he should have been cooking instead.

Sorry, I know several people posted here that they really like Maza, and my daughter very much enjoyed her meal (only reason I give them 3 stars), but the experience was lengthy, not leisurely, we were ill-attended, and I couldn't even order what I wanted. Good news is we didn't waste money on the attractive but pricey dinner menu. Wish Sorrento's was back there instead.

2  Thank Eric F
Reviewed January 30, 2016

This is one of my favourite places in the Lafayette area. Great range of Mediterranean dishes - we've never had a bad meal here. The simple Hummus is super fresh and tastes incredible. I've sampled the steak, the kefta burger, the kebabs and frutti di mare. My partner swears that the ratatouille lasagne is one of the best meals she's had in any restaurant which is high praise indeed. We would always be happy with a visit to Maza.

Reviewed January 26, 2016

Last evening was our first time to enjoy this very pleasant restaurant snuggled in West Lafayette. All of the other reviews have covered the culinary efforts very well. We came away thinking that this was indeed one of the finest meals we have ever enjoyed in the Lafayette area and would indeed return. However, we found the menu extremely difficult to read but our waitress was well schooled. Every question we had, she explained it quite easily. Never once did she stumble. Really, the only negative we had during the evening was the cleanliness of the rest rooms. We were the first diners there but the rest areas were very dirty. This caused you to get a rating of very good when it should have been an excellent!

1  Thank Norm B
Reviewed January 25, 2016

My husband and I stopped in unexpectedly and we were pleasantly surprised by the ambiance, service, and quality of the food. We have a sampler platter (spinach pies, sambousek (mediterranean fried empanadas), and grape leaves. We then had Pasta Adriatica (vegetarian pasta). The food was magnificent. We have found a new favorite place to dine.