“Not worth the cash”

Howard Johnson Burlington
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I booked my daughters birthday party there and chose to reserve two rooms way in advance of the date. Check in is not until three so when arriving right around 3:05pm; was greeted by a desk clerk who seemed to enjoy flirting with the owner more than checking us in. When I went to actually finally check in the rooms that had been reserved and actually placed on my card until I got there on the day to pay with cash, was NOT available. So, here I was with multiple kids in toe and more arriving (by the way that you have to pay extra for when they want to swim per child.)Lucky for this hotel it was too late to change the plans or I would have. Seems they had booked the room out months ago to a couple who was living there and had done for some time now. They were not willing to move to a different room (who the owner had said would the week before.) Needless to say I had to take two different room that were side by side and not joined as it was booked in the first place. So besides having to run back and forth all night with little girls; the pool was FREEZING and SMALL! The "SPA" was Luke warm at best. No fan or cooling possible in the room. Had to bring us a box fan because it was so warm in the room and freezing out in the common area of the hotel. POOR ownership! You would think with what they charge for the rooms they could afford to heat some areas and have away of setting your own temp in your room. Can't tell you much about the Tiki bar. I heard it was nice but never got the chance with running from room to room all night because of their HUGE MISTAKE!

Room Tip: Booked them but never received!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Brandi M
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Burlington

Reviewed 28 November 2011

The family and friends stayed here a couple of years ago, they were rehabbing then and are still in the process. Thought we would give them another try. Although we got a good price on a block of rooms, I certainly wouldn't pay more than $75 for a poolside room, $55 for anything else as the hotel now sits. The pool area is nice enough with a few old video games, pool tables, and a small putting area. They do have a small bar there as well. The free breakfast was OK and pretty standard fare. Waffle maker, biscuits and gravy, donuts, etc. The room had a small flat screen, had been repainted. and had a new shower/tub surround. Now for the bad. Apparently you either have A/C or Heat, not control of both. Upon arrival the room was very hot and got hotter as the night wore on. Could not turn the heat down or the A/C on. Fortunately Colie (the girl at the front desk) came to the rescue with a fan for the room. She sincerely apologized for the problem and did her best to help out. She is truly a bright spot at the tired old Howard Johnsons.

Would have rated average, but the hot room was the killer...

Room Tip: The poolside rooms are neat. 101-106 are near the pool but slightly quieter as they are slighty awa...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to write a response on your recent stay. We value all of our guests opinions. Yes, we are still undergoing renovations. We will probably be under renovations for at least another year. As you mentioned, we are an older facility, so there are some times when we are not able to provide some services, as the newer facilities. Our heating and air conditioning are one of those items. I am glad to hear that Colie was able to assit you with a fan. We welcome you and your family back to Howard Johnson-Burlington, IA.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

the bartenders, at this hotel is very nice and fun

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Tiki Bar. Soup is an awesome bartender. I will let them know they are doing a great job!!

Reviewed 19 October 2011

My husband and I stopped here looking for a relaxing swim after a long day on the road. My husband stayed in the hot tub while I showers. When he returned to the room, I noticed at once that the color of his suit had washed out. His royal blue suit looked tie dyed light blue. I spoke with the front desk, and they filed out an incident report and told me that the owner would call me. She finally did call a week later after I repeatedly called. She told me that she had researched this and the water in pool and hot tub had checked out as fine and we may have had a poor quality of suit. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This Hotel has been through many owners and has not had a very good reputation. I decided to give it a try for my daughters sweet 16 party due to my whole family coming from out of town, we wanted the rooms at the same place the party was. I worked with Katherine, the event coordinator for several months before the party. She was INCREDIBLE to work with. The room was awesome, she did everything she said she was going to do and more. The rooms were clean and prepared for us when my family arrived, and we were early. The employees from the front desk, to the bartender and housekeeping were so nice they were determined to make our stay perfect and they did. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone from the rooms to the party rooms as well. Even the maitence man was determined to do whatever it took to help us out. It was such a different place than before, Im hoping others give the new owners and their staff a chance becuase it is so very different than it has been. I am so happy we gave them a second chance!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Angie T
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

I appreciate you taking time to write a review for us. I am so glad that Katherine and the staff were able to make your stay and party a sucess. We look forward to working with you in the future.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Several years ago, this was the hotel of choice when it was a Ramada. Since changing owners and names, the inside has changed slightly, such as adding the bar, but the rooms are not any different. The bed, at least in the room we stayed in, was hard and lumpy, and the most uncomfortable bed. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly. The carpet was stained and smelled, and we stayed poolside. The bathroom was clean. The hotel itself was nice. Breakfast was okay. The worse thing is checkout is 11am, and the hotel poilicy is the pool and spa does not open until 10am, which gives very little time to enjoy your last bit of time before leaving. More than likely, this hotel will not be our first choice next time, however, the price is right.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Danielle H, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for giving the Howard Johnson - Burlington, IA a try. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy a clean room. I have relayed your concern over the bed and pool to the management group for a revision. We hope to be able to provide you with comfortable accommodations the next time you come to Burlington.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We had a great time!My daughter loved the pool and i enjoyed sitting at the tiki bar while watching her swimThe bartender "Soup"was friendly and had lots of useful information about Burlington and its many attractions.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kim828
aremtula, Manager at Howard Johnson Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thank you for taking time to post about your recent stay at our facility. We look forward to welcoming you back, for the third time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
0.1 km away
37.6 km away
Super 8 Mt Pleasant
Super 8 Mt Pleasant
#1 of 5 in Mount Pleasant

Been to Howard Johnson Burlington? Share your experiences!