“Great stay”

Clarion Inn University Plaza
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Cedar Falls
Reviewed 12 January 2015

My wife & I stayed here for just one night recently, and we were very happy with our accommodations. I have to admit that we were a bit nervous because there was a wedding reception taking place in the building, and that can often lead to noisy surroundings and a sleepless night. However, we asked the desk if there was a quiet area away from the wedding party, and she found us a perfect spot. Our room was a little bit on the small side, but it wasn't a huge concern. I didn't have any issues with maintenance in our room or elsewhere.

They have a late check-out time (noon), which is always a nice option. The breakfast was above-average: bacon, eggs, hash browns, french toast, cereal, milk, juice, and other odds & ends were all available. Everything we tried was good, and the staff did a great job of keeping everything stocked.

We didn't try the indoor pool, but it seemed to be quite popular. There was also a small "game" area with pool tables and a few arcade games/pinball machine. If you need a family-friendly hotel in CF, I'd guess this is one of the better options.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Sarah E, General Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2015

Thank you for staying with us a for taking the time to review our hotel. It was our pleasure to accommodate you! We strive to offer the best in customer service and appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Cedar Falls!

Reviewed 29 November 2014 via mobile

Great stay at the Clarion..Location next to restaurants and shopping..Very nice complimentary breakfast. No hot tub which was disappointing but "Morgan" was able to find us a room with a large tub.This was very appreciated and the kind of customer service that will assure I return..We had no issues with noise like others had noted...

If the pool area was revamped it would really add to the overall experience..

Thanks again Morgan( on 2nd shift) for the great customer service.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stacie A
Sarah E, General Manager at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2015

It was our pleasure to accommodate you during your visit to Cedar Falls; I will be sure to pass your kind words to Morgan. Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 6 November 2014 via mobile

After my last review about the Clarion Inn a few months ago, I received a email from one of the upper management members apologizing about the issues with the musty rooms and the poor maintenance of the property.
Due to the work I do this has been the place I've stayed, and not once have I seen a improvement on the property, I've seen numerous staff members come and go.
When ordering food from the menu you will need to ask if they even have the food to cook even though the menu says they have it because on a daily basis they don't have want you want off the menu.
The point of this review is for the manager slash owner that replied to my first review. I gave it months before this update to give you the benefit of the doubt and hoped to see improvements to the property and when I say months it's not just one or two months.
Honestly people you can find a better ran motel to stay at and better restaurants elsewhere! stay at your own risk!!!!
Update while sitting here at the bar waiting for my food, another couple just tried to order food and was told we don't have it.
It's simple!! Change your menus and stop advertising accommodations that you don't have that's false advertisement.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jjnamwoc

I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. I will share your feedback with my entire team and move to improve the quality of service. Your satisfaction is important to us; thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 October 2014

Wish my extended family didn't keep planning events here... The first time we stayed, we had a toilet that wasn't securely mounted to the floor. This time, we had to jiggle the handle to stop it from running. Carpet worn outside of room, dirty inside. A piece of it was actually totally loose, I pushed it back into place with my foot, as I didn't want to touch it with my hand. Bench upholstery also dirty. Shower had some mildew on grout. Coffee pot had a moldy tea bag as one of two tea options. Asked housekeeping to come back later, they never returned. When I went to the front desk that night at five, they assured me they'd report it. By then, I just wanted some fresh hand towels, I had to wait until someone was back from driving the shuttle.
It was so bad, I took pictures. I'm on a mobile device, and am tired of typing.

Bedding and towels clean. Beds comfy.

Room Tip: Stay away from any room that is on an inner wall of the building. It was like a prison riot with pe...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Tony C, Regional Director of Operations at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2014

Thank you for the review. I am personally very sorry to hear about your stay. Clearly there was not a lot that went right. I will work with our entire staff to ensure we solve these issues. We also are planning a room renovation and public area in the near future.

I again am very sorry about your stay. If you ever stay in Cedar Falls again please let me know how I can help. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 1 October 2014

I wanted to write a letter of recommendation for the Clarion Inn University Plaza because of the incredible experience I had with them. Maria and her staff provided the highest quality of service. They were on time, with great attention to every small detail. Her staff did a phenomenal job communicating with me before and during the trip. Every aspect of our stay at the Clarion Inn exceeded expectations. I wish we traveled to Cedar Falls as a group more often because I would know exactly where to stay and that I would receive tremendous service.

Our top executive rarely comments on the experience at a hotel. But multiple times during, and after the trip, he commented on what great service we were receiving and what a great job I did selecting this hotel. Maria and her friendly, accommodating staff were available 24/7 and provided me with information and solutions at a moment’s notice. I cannot thank Maria, Sue O’Leary, Sarah Everett and the rest of the staff enough for our great experience in Iowa.
Let this review serve as a glowing recommendation and let it put you at ease that you have a great establishment to stay every time your group comes to Cedar Falls, Iowa.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Tony C, Regional Director of Operations at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

Reviewed 22 September 2014

Total filth outside the hotel. spider webs all over steps and stair cases full of bugs from a extended amount of time. Just take a broom to them, wow. Cigarette containers completely packed and all over steps and grounds as well. Would be very easy to clean up. Laziness. Also, trash and rocks from the landscaping all over the grounds and parking lot.
But worst of all was the hospitality from one woman... very rude at the front desk on Saturday. We had a block of rooms for a local event and were told we had access to a shuttle service that night until 11 p.m. As soon as we had a couple drinks in the bar, and talked to the bartender and shuttle driver, everything was confirmed as to the shuttle use until 11 p.m. Shortly we went to the front desk to set up a time and were told "rudely" (with the driver standing right there) NO SHUTTLE SERVICE TONIGHT unless you are going to the airport. We had said that is why we chose this hotel and she just said We are too shortstaffed. No apologies just rudeness....and the shuttle driver didn't say a word. My guess is that he probably would have been fired. Needless to say we were sure not to spend another cent in this hotel and didn't bother checking out anymore of their services during our stay. Didn't even order room service for breakfast. Thanks to the change of shuttle service we all had to skip our event and just stick around where we knew the roads. We won't be reserving another block of rooms at this hotel ever. Oh, also had to clean up hair all over the bathroom floor and the back of the door before we used it. Nice...Really glad we drove 200 miles to stay here!!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dlens

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. I have shared your feedback with my entire staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently moving forward.

Reviewed 21 September 2014

Recently, I decided to have a weekend away and to go to a hotel where I could swim and then do some shopping and have places to eat close. When I came to the hotel I was greeted by Ben at the front desk and he was very kind to point out all that there was to offer in the area. Next, the room was very nice and spacious and also was clean. This all led to a great weekend away from home that I will remember for a long time. I WILL be back again since the hotel was nice and the staff very kind.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Tony C, Regional Director of Operations at Clarion Inn University Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

We are so glad you decided to choose us for your weekend away. We hope your weekend left you refreshed and ready for the week to come. Thank you for your kind words and your business. See you soon!