New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Impressive and large”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

After reading some of the more recent reviews on this hotel, we were skeptical about where we were staying but the hotel was booked for us as part of husband's interview with a company in the area. We were promptly greeted and welcomed when we checked in and were given complimentary sodas when we signed up for the free loyalty program the chain offers. We were impressed that the entire property is smoke free, as is almost all of Cedar Rapids!! We did not use the pool or spa but they both looked very nice and the lobby was modern and clean. Our room was huge as compared with comprable hotel chains which rent rooms for similar rates. It had a full kitchenette with mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker and sink. It also had a full-size sofa, upholestered chair, office chair and a comfortale desk.
We especially liked that the desk lamps (all 3 of them) had 2 outlets built into the base of them so we had plently of places to plug in our laptop, phone chargers, etc. The free internet was also very nice and was quite speedy, again compared to other hotel's internet. The office center in the lobby even had a free printer so we were able to print our return airline tickets before checkout.
The beds were nicely appointed and were not the most comfortable, but were average as far a hotel beds go. The bathroom and outer sink area were also very spacious and clean. We loved the full-size, double door closed opposite the sink and the closet doors were mirrored. Few hotel's have full-length mirrors these days and when you are dressing for a formal occasion or business meeting, it is necessary.
We highly recommend this hotel for families, business travelers and any other type of traveler who appreciates being able to stretch out in a hotel room. The breakfast was ample and nothing about it was exceptional (the yogurt was warm) but it did have some features we did not try, like the make your own waffles. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kelly R, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
JDandP –

We really appreciate that you took time to give such an amazing review of our property. We spend a lot of time trying to think of all the details that can take someone’s trip from ordinary to extraordinary. I am so happy that you appreciated that extra effort of ours.

Once again I truly appreciate your review and thank you for taking the time to share.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

FALSE ADVERTISING WARNING!!! - The pictures of guest rooms on the hotel's website show 2-room suites. However, 2-room suites are not available! So don't be misled - if you want a 2-room suite, go somewhere else. That said, the 1-room suite we ended up with was fine - just not what was advertised and paid for.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kelly R, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
DaBearsWISC –

I apologize for any miscommunication that we had on our website. I will personally go through our website and make sure that we don’t have any misleading facts, so that this will never happen again.

Thank you.
Bettendorf, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

Hotel is trying to be updated and trendy but after a closer look it's basically unclean & not taken care of. Grout is old and dirty. Tiles missing in the kitchenette. No screens on the window in my room. Cord fell out of the TV when I rotated it. And the lighting....Why is it so dark? So you can't see the dirt? Location is ok if you don't mind the loud hwy sound. Staff, however, was accommodating.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MissAmy4044
Avon, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites for 3 days in mid-February 2011. Overall, it's a nice quiet place, but there are some details that could use a fix. I'd stay here again, though.

Pros:
- Complimentary wi-fi Internet
- Complimentary continental breakfast (full range of hot and cold foods, fruits, drinks to choose from)
- Large, open rooms/suites
- Modern decor
- Helpful staff
- Indoor pool and hot tub
- Fitness center (although it only had aerobic equipment such as treadmills, stairclimbers, ellipticals - no weights of any sort)
- Convenient location

Cons:
- My room was warm, so I turned the A/C on - it proceeded to spew small dark chunks of something (mold?) out of the vet and onto the couch and floor nearby. I just didn't use that corner, but if I was staying longer, I would request a different room.
- The mattress was not very good - quite lumpy and I could feel the springs (I'm not a heavy guy, 170#)
- Some worn carpet areas in the room
- No in-room safe
- Some staining in the bathtub (but overall the bathtub was good)
- No toilet-seat lid - makes the potential for something dropping in there rise dramatically
- No flat-screen TV in my room, at least
- Faulty ice machines (only worked on the 1st and 3rd floors)

This hotel is great for a business traveler, with lots to recommend - from a leisure standpoint, I'd want a little more attention paid to details like stain removal and perhaps a few upgrades such as a flat-screen TV. For the price, not bad at all, though, and I'd definitely come back again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JB24003
Oestringen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

On one of my last business trips I book the above hotel as an alternative to my standard in this town.

Entering the room very tired at 1:00 am very tired from a long travel, I was very disappointed by the room. It did not have a wardrobe, but instead, there was a corner in the bathroom to hang clothes open.

During the night I also experienced a strong smell coming from the bathroom. I went to the reception next moring and found out that they asigned me a room for disabled persons, which also explained the wardrobe.

I asked for a room change, baut they were sold out. At least they could fix the strong smell.
Breakfast and night snack was good, staff friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Reedley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

We arrived at the hotel mid-afternoon. Parking lot was filty with trash, cigarette butts, and needing a good washing. Looks like no one takes pride in the place, The staff was basically lazy!! Employees sitting in the lobby is not a good sign. If we could have moved hotels we would have, but the area was full due to a big football game in Iowa City. Next visit to Cedar Rapids we will not stay there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I am an active duty military traveler and generally stay with another brand, who during my week long stay in Cedar Rapids was not available. The Hawthorn was suggested to me by a coworker.

I found the front desk personnel very friendly and knowledgable of the surrounding area. I also liked that I was able to buy beer right at the front desk for my small refrigerator in the room. Very nice touch for the traveler who just spent the better part of the day getting to Cedar Rapids. Breakfasts and the dinners were well done, but on par with typical hotel food that is done for free at various extended stay types of hotels.

If I had a complaint with my room , it was the mysterious cigarette smell that came from my bathroom during the evening hours that drove me crazy. I placed a couple calls to the front desk to complain and we diagnosed it to the bathroom fan/vent. Somewhere someone was sneaking a cigarette (non-smoking hotel) during the evenings using their bathroom fan/vent to exhaust their smoke. The culprit was never found. My solution? Close the bathroom door and run my fan to push the smoke out.

The wireless internet in the hotel was ok, but not great. They have several hubs to wirelessly connect to, but I found that they were all just weak enough to give me headaches with staying connected. When it worked, it worked well.

To close, I would also say the beds were fantastic and I slept very soundly each night of my stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business