“Beautiful escape into nature - amazing landscape and delicious wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wide River Winery

Wide River Winery
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Clinton
More attraction details
Owner description: Wide River Winery is located in Clinton IA on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River at its widest point. The tasting room offers up to 5 tastes of their locally made award winning wines. Beautiful expanded deck that can be enjoyed Spring, Summer, Fall and some mild Winter days too!
Chicago, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful escape into nature - amazing landscape and delicious wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

I love this winery. It has everything I could want in a weekend getaway from Chicago. The Mississippi River is at its widest point here, creating a beautiful backdrop. The people were warm, the animals were friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon hiking in the woods and learning about how this family owned farm makes its organic grapes. Also and most importantly, the wine was delicious!

1 Thank matthetraveler

crystal Lake, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent wine, delightful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I were camping at Mississippi Palisades State park near Savanna, Il and wanted to visit a winery. The review above was one that we had printed out concerning area wineries. We decided to try Wide River due the to "organic factor". What a treat! First, getting there is interesting on a little overgrown gravel road. Then, the fact that someone was there on a Tuesday afternoon, was another nice surprise. Beautiful setting. Jane had us taste the wines (with generous tastes, thank you). Also gave us a tour of the winery itself. The names of the wines cracked me up,especially after I learned that professions of the owners. Their label is a very nice portrait painting of their daughter, but each wine type has a subtly different picture of her. And, oh yes, we loved the wines! Came home with a case, as volume discounts apply. Great experience!

1 Thank snelson600
Naperville,IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wide River Winery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

I was on my way to visit relatives in central Iowa, when I decided to take a different route. I crossed the Mississippi at Clinton and discovered that just a few miles north was an organic winery. While I work for Trader Joes I am interested in things organic, so I stopped. What a treat! The Traders goal is to provide great wines and product at great prices, we constantly have tastings at our stores to provide our customers with knowledge. I was very impressed with the selections, especially the Felony Red. Ann, one of the owners daughters showed me around and gave me a little history behind the concept that the vineyard began as a hobby then morphed into a business. The prices were very resonable and I brought a mixed case to share with co-workers, to rave reviews!Another nice feature is the vinyards close proximity to Galena, Mississippi Eagle watching and many other attractions. Overall a wonderful spot to stop and relax. I will certainly return. Anna M. Healy

2 Thank McPompano