“Good lunch”
Review of Bandana's BBQ - CLOSED

Bandana's BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Part of a chain of BBQ restaurants.
Reviewed 4 August 2016

The food was very good, not a lot BBQ flavor that seems to overpower everything at some places. Portions were just right for lunch.

Host was friendly and nice. Almost too sickeningly sweet and nice. If you have ever been seated or served by this type of person you know what I mean. The manager stopped by and asked how things were and that was a nice touch. Our server stopped by at the bare minimum and it wasn't that busy.

On about half of the bottles of BBQ sauce at the table the labels were mostly unreadable. -1 dot for this. Need to get new bottles that are legible.

Visited the Bandana's in Ankeny several years ago and that location and the servers had much more personality/character. This placed proved it was obviously a chain restaurant.

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Good BBQ. I recommend the ribs and the chicken. Lots of choices for sauce. Side dishes were excellent. Mediocre service.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

The food was edible but bad barbq. Tough, no flavour but smoke, the place was empty. Perhaps it gets better when the college is in session??

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

My husband & I were passing through Coralville on our way home to Michigan and stopped to relax & have a bite of bbq. We were greeted very nicely and seated (around 12:10 pm) and waited, and waited, and waited. Two different young gentlemen waiters appeared in our area to wait/serve on others and not once were we looked at or acknowledged! With that, we got
up & left. Sorry we didn't get the chance to try the bbq!

Reviewed 22 July 2016

Went here because I love BBQ and hadn't tried it yet. My wife and I went here for lunch and we tried a little bit of everything. Started out with the Brunswick Stew. I guess it's just different than the stew I've had in Georgia. This is thick with lots of sliced potatoes, corn of course, chicken and other vegetables. Had decent flavor (little heavy on the BBQ sauce in it) but too thick for my liking. My wife had the beef and pork plate with okra and coleslaw. She said the pork was very good as were the okra and coleslaw. I had the beef and chicken plate with fries and bbq beans. Beans and fries were good and actually the chicken was good. The beef was OK. I first wanted to clarify if the beef was brisket. It is NOT brisket it is beef shoulder. I was told it was more tender? Not sure who's driving this train but beef shoulder? The portion was very small ~ 2 oz, cut into cubes and dry. It really wasn't tender and the flavor definitely wasn't nearly as good as brisket. All in all everything was good I would just steer clear of the beef if you are used to good brisket.