“Dated rooms, disgruntled employees, poor management”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Kansas City, Missouri
“Dated rooms, disgruntled employees, poor management”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

While staying at this Country Inn & Suites I was only not disappointed in a few factors. Number 1 being the friendly and welcoming front desk staff. Both of whom I spoke with were very inviting and intelligent. The manager on the other hand was cold and uncaring . The second floor (of which I stayed on) halls was hot and humid. My family members stayed on the third floor of the building an their halls were cool. Thankfully our air conditioners worked to satisfaction. The rooms are dated and when we turned off the AC we started getting an odd, moldy smell in the room.
The second pleasant enjoyable encounter I had was with one housekeeper who worked on the second floor, I believe her name tag said Leah, I asked her for certain extra items for my wife and I's stay, she helped me for directions to the closest shopping center, she was extremely hard working and enjoyable to speak with. She went above and beyond her normal everyday duties to make sure we were comfortable even letting us know when their was fresh cookies in the lobby. When we requested an early check in, she made sure to check on us to see if the room was satisfactory and comfortable. She even brought us an extra pillow when I told her I had a sore back. She is an absolute gem in this hotel's staff. On the second day of my visit here I ran into two housekeepers on the third floor...
They are not like my housekeeper at all or what I would have expected from the staff here. They were disgruntled, grumpy, and all in all RUDE. My daughter and son-in-law's room was not serviced on our second day of stay. When they checked in there was very minimal cleaning and wasn't serviced like my room on floor 2

Room Tip: Second floor is much more enjoyable to be on even without the running AC
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We apologize for your the behavior of our employees that you said were rude to you. We are currently looking into this situation for you. This behavior is not allowed at our. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. All of your comments will be passed on to our management and staff. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thanks again for your concern. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I made a reservation to stay based on Trip Advisor’s favorable rating of this property. But due to family issues I needed to cancel 5 minutes after the cancellation deadline. Given the fact that I had just missed the cut-off time, it was the night before a home Hawkeye football game, my family situation which I explained and my assumption that I would receive good customer service, I thought this would be a simple phone call and cancellation. Even though it was Friday night and the property was apparently full, no one in the hotel was authorized to vary from their strict protocol charging for the room after the cancelation cut-off time. The best they offered was that they would try to rent the room. I was polite but insistent they contact someone capable of making a decision. After 3 phone calls and over an hour on the phone, I was told directly by the desk manager that they would cancel my reservation and I quote”we don’t want you to stay with us”. I asked her to repeat what I thought I heard, she confirmed. The best part of my story is that during the time I was on hold, their recording kept telling my about their good old country hospitality. This Country Inn has a long ways to go before they are offering country hospitality.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
After investigation of this matter. We found that this guest in fact not charged for the room. Also was not charged a cancellation charge. We did in fact go against our company policy and did not charge for this room, even after the room was canceled after our cancellation deadline. We are very surprised that we received this bad review about this matter, even after we went above and beyond our company policy. Our guests are, and continue to be our number one priority.
Illinois
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We like to stay at Country Inn & suites. After reading reviews we choose to stay.
This location just needs some help and tender loving care. The staff was nice, but the room.....well let's say that housekeeping needs to be doing a better job. Our tub faucet would not turn off . We could have filled two tubs of water! The long mirror has not seen any Windex with all the finger prints. The sheets, carpet, chipped bathcounter, and dated furniture are all saying "help me." Also when you see a wounded bloody wrapped dog walking around and in the breakfast room, this doesn't exactly make a meal appetizing. I would not want to be the next guest to stay in that room!
I went to work out and only one TV station works -and it was infomercials, and I had a difficult time getting the treadmills to work.
Possibly this is an older property, but please this is a poor reflection on the company and owner of this property.

Room Tip: Ask if animals have stayed previously in the room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 13 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are currently reviewing all of your concerns. We thank you for bringing these to our attention. These comments will help us improve our service for you and future guests to our hotel. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We hope that you will consider us again on future visits to the area.

Thanks again for your time. We hope to see you again.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Nice place to stay in the area. Clean, friendly (with cookies), nice bedding package, air conditioning worked and was not noisey.

Room Tip: Nice place and a good bargain in the area.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. They always like to hear when they are doing a good job.

Thanks again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again, on future visits to the area.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Reasonably priced for the area. Rooms were larger, however the decor was dated. Clean facility. Breakfast selection was pretty good and included in rate. A little farther than most hotels from the university, but commute was negligible. Nearby shopping mall and restaurants. Convenient to I80.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 23 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will be passed on to our staff. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place for all of our guests to stay.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope that you will come stay with us again, on future visits to the area.
Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We come here because we have a child at the University of Iowa. We've stayed many times at many locations, and now this is our first go-to place. We were extremely disappointed with the Fairfield Inn after 2 stays. The Iowa House is so-so but always booked. The Marriott is lovely but too expensive for the short time we stay in the room when visiting.

The Country Inn is just right! We always encounter a friendly desk worker, the room is clean and comfortable, and the food is adequate for what we'd expect--saves us from having to go to a restaurant. The value is perfect, we like not having to have 2 night stay on football weekends, and the location is an easy drive over to campus. Parking is readily available, and shopping is very convenient for those campus move-in days.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank value_quality
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
We really appreciate your comments about our hotel. We are very happy that we could accommodate you on your many visits to the area. Our guests are our number one priority! We strive to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay for all of our guests. Your comments will be passed on to our staff.

Our prime location near the University of Iowa Oakdale Campus, just off I-80/I-380, is ideal for both business and leisure travelers. Whatever your travel itinerary, the Country Inn & Suites is the perfect choice among hotels in Coralville, Iowa.

Thanks again for your time!!! We hope to see you again, on your next visit to the area!!!
Follansbee, West Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Clean, comfortable overnight lodging. Located in a shopping center area. A little pricey for the location, but it is right off I-80. Decent breakfast (standard free motel fare)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments. We strive to provide a safe, comfortable, and clean place to stay.

The Country Inn & Suites Hotel's Coralville location provide guests with convenient access to local attractions, the University of Iowa, the Coral Ridge Mall, Downtown Iowa City and much more. Our Iowa City area hotel is also convenient to golf courses, Iowa State Parks and more, and is an ideal home base for exploring the area.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to see you again in Coralville.