“Dated but had everything we needed”

Quality Inn Coralville
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We had a couple of hectic weeks at work and just needed some time to ourselves so we got the King suite with whirlpool. The photos on their website are very accurate - the furniture is dated but we had every amenity we needed. The room was clean for the most part - we experienced the same mold issue in the shower like other people who placed reviews. However, the exhaust fan in the bathroom wasn't full of dust (like we've experience at other places) and the bathroom drains ran very fast (dirty fans and slow drains are a pet peeve of mine as I think these are noticeable and easy fixes). My husband slept very well but my back started aching around 3:00 a.m. - mattress was too soft for me. The whirpool was big enough for two people and very relaxing - I thought it was hard to get in and out of, however, as you had to step up into it. They made it one "narrow" step and I think two would have been better. Although our room was outside the pool/whirpool area, it was very quiet - course, the hotel wasn't sold out. The hallway outside our door smelled like cigarette smoke, although, all the rooms were non-smoking. Obviously, an air vent close to where everyone stands outside smoking. The breakfast had a lot of variety.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bountiful-IA

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Just completed a several nights stay here and was over all pleased. This was a good value hotel and I have only a few problems. When I arrived the gent at the counter was helpful and nice, check in was very speedy. The room was more-or-less up to date with a nice Micro and fridge. There did happen to be some mold starting on the shower wall at the top but it was otherwise clean. When I requested a more fiber pillows, because there was only one in my two queen room, the night guy went to check and somehow was only able to come up with one more in the entire building. I am allergic to feathers so this was an issue to me and I requested no feather pillows before my arrival. Also the last night of my stay a third person was added unexpectedly, when I ask for a roll-a-way bed the clerk (with three grown men standing in front of him) stated he was out but did have play pens, yeah that will work. Breakfast I think didn’t look bad but did start at 0600, that to me is kinda late.

Room Tip: Cross hall smoking makes the entire floor stink. Good value easy location
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We had 11 families stay here for a baseball tournament for 12 year old boys. That being said, the staff was very patient with us trying to get checked in and making everyone behave. They let us use part of the parking lot to tailgate, which kept most the chaos outside. The rooms were updated and clean. The breakfast had a solid variety and they kept the fresh items coming. Hotel is right across the street from several restaurants, the mall and coffee shops. Will absolutely stay there again next year if we are in the area for another tournament. The manager who did our RFP and created the reservation was quick and friendy as well.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms seemed just fine
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We have been staying here on and off for the past 4 years... We find the place convenient right off of Interstate 80. The prices here are reasonable if you stay away from football weekends...
They serve a decent breakfast. Just recently they added Scrambled Eggs Sausage/Gravy and Biscuits besides hard boiled eggs, make your own waffles and cereal. They need to spend a bit more time on upkeep IE housekeeping and maintenance. Last visit my Bathroom toilet was not cleaned properly.. someone didnt use the brush at all...missing hook behind the door. and the beginnings of mold above the shower where there must have been a past leak that wasn't properly cared for. They still have the old bedspreads etc but the room itself was fine and had been cleaned properly.. The lobby ceiling needs a good cleaning above the fans which have caused dirt to stick. An easily fixed issue. The staff here has always been extremely friendly and helpful. When I mentioned the issues I noticed on my recent issue I was given the stay free. Would I return... absolutely...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The condition of this hotel at the price they wanted was ridiculous. They wanted over $127 for the first night of our stay, granted it was a Saturday with an Iowa football home game, but we weren't there for the game.

For that price you would expect the hotel to at least be clean and have things in working order, but that was not the case. It's funny that someone said in a review from 2009 that the hot tub was broken, because it was broken again during our stay (which was Labor Day weekend, you would think they would be ready for the travelers). The hot tub was down the first night and by the second night the hot tub and pool were both down.

The hallways and common areas were very dirty and never appeared to be vacuumed while we were there. Housekeeping also never did come to change our room; we had to call down for more towels since we threw them on the floor expecting the room to be cleaned. When we first got to our room the peephole was missing and wadded up paper was just stuck inside.

Also, we stayed on the second floor and there is no elevator. This was okay for me and my husband, but my mom is handicapped. She wasn't with us on this trip, but I could see how that would be a problem going forward if you arrive and they don't have any more rooms on the first floor. I always request a handicapped room with we travel, but they don't always read the requests, so I would be careful about that if you are traveling with and need handicapped access.

Also, the breakfast was very plain, some of the Comfort Inns will have bacon or eggs, and this was just your very basic breakfast with only waffles for a hot option.

Overall, I didn't feel unsafe or anything, but the hotel was just very dumpy and dirty. With the added problem of the broken hot tub I would just stay elsewhere on my next trip to the area. They are plenty of hotels in Iowa City/Coralville to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

The shower was the best part of our stay here. It was like taking a shower with a fire hose; lots of pressure. The room was nice with microwave and fridge. Small pool and even smaller hot tub. No fitness room and close to the interstate. The breakfast was pathetic and bland. Staff was great and friendly. Good place to stay, but skip the breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed here after a long road trip. The rates are extremely reasonable for clean, comfortable beds, a room with a fridge, free continental breakfast and free wi-fi. This hotel looks brand new and has a great staff. A great place to stay after a day of shopping or a long drive. Convenient location.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple