“Best Brisket ever!”

Ranked #6 of 638 Restaurants in Des Moines
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

This small neighborhood eatery is tucked into an old residential area in Des Moines on 46th and Hickman Rd. Upon entering one has to pass the grilling area and welcoming cooks. Tables are placed close together yet it never feels crowded. It's noisy, though, so if you're looking for a quiet place to dine this isn't it. Opening at 5:00 Tuesday thru Saturday, reservations are recommended but not absolutely necessary, except on Friday and Saturday.
I always order the Jenny Salad. It comes with spring greens lightly dressed, peanuts scattered within and a generous portion of WONDERFUL SUCCULENT SMOKED BRISKET on top. A side of corn bread with honey butter completes this meal. There is a Creol vib here with to die for dishes such as chicken creole, jambalaya and wonderful sides to include red beans and rice, potato and veggie of the day plus more! Also in the meat choices are pork chop and ribs etc. I always order the same thing so check out their online menu. But the brisket!! Oh my!! Heavenly. Mike, the owner, is always on site. Friendly and sincere in his willingness to please his guests he succeeds 100%. Prices are very reasonable and portions are generous. I ALWAYS take home leftovers. There is dessert offered but I'm usually too full to indulge. This place is the BEST. Mike must never retire because I can't imagine where else we could ever get our brisket fix except at the Flying Mango. GO!. Eat. Enjoy. You will love it!!

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Rhonda P

Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

Two of us called ahead on a Friday night and were seated immediately upon arrival. I ordered a small house salad (delicious!) and the pick 3 with jalapeño grits and cornbread and my daughter had the chicken pasta with mango salsa. The brisket and grits were amazing as was my daughters’ pasta. The ribs were decent and the cornbread was dry. We haven’t tried the chicken yet as it was too much food to eat. Service was great! By the time we left, the place was full with people waiting to be seated. Very good experience!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

I had my second trip with fly mango on the 28th of August 2018, the service was awesome compared to my first trip with them in 2014. Keep up the good work

Date of visit: August 2018
Thank nhlanhla leonar... B
Reviewed September 14, 2018

We were in town for our anniversary in September and tried this based upon the ratings. Wow, were we disappointed! The brisket was very fatty - hardly any meat and very little flavor. The cornbread and coleslaw were equally bland. The service was mediocre at best - no sincerity but perkier towards tip time. Maybe it was an off-night, but we won't be back to try it again.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 21, 2018

The Des Moines area has a huge variety of good restaurants.
Flying Mango is possibly not for everyone, but if you love intimate, smells one could charge for, good service and unusual, but fantastic BBQ (including seafood) this place is worth many visits. I am not a vegetable person, but this place makes brussells sprouts taste almost as good as the brisket.

Date of visit: August 2018