See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 21, 2018

I'm rating this "very good" because my wife enjoyed it more, so I'm going with her impression. I can report the room was nice and clean and very quiet. My issues: the hotel made a point when reserving of asking for requests, and I'm a "Rewards" member, but neither request was satisfied (high floor/extra towels - and no reason why either couldn't have been). My wife liked the renovation better than I did. Our room was a strange mix of grays and black, but what stood out to me was the lack of attention to detail of whatever trades did the carpet installation, wallpaper in the bathroom, painting/fitting the closet door in the bathroom, etc. Just some things that stuck out and for all the work on a facelift, just didn't look like the work performed was up to the standard I recall for the Savery. Also, who buys new ceiling smoke alarms that have a green light that flashes every few seconds for a hotel room - kind of inconvenient at night, lol. Only one room, no idea what the others look like, but we had what was supposed to be a little larger, deluxe type room and just expected a little more with the new opening. The staff was friendly and courteous. Just a note, we got free wifi, but if not in their program it will cost you $9.95 (I assume plus tax) per night. That seemed excessive, but not an issue for us and I know that is probably a way to a way to recruit "Rewards" members.

Room tip: Be a Rewards member to get free wifi, otherwise it's spendy.
Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed September 14, 2016

My daughter used this hotel as the base for her wedding weekend. It was a great location with lots of nice restaurants and the farmers market close by. The staff was very accommodating and the bar area was wonderful. Would recommend this to anyone wanting downtown hotel.

Room tip: The rooms are a little different. Best to ask about layout options.
Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed July 18, 2016 via mobile

While the location and staff are excellent, the imminent renovation cannot be too soon. A recent visit ended with no hot water in the rooms. How can this happen? When I departed the problem had still not been resolved. Other than that one issue, the visit was a success. The banquet food was very good and the staff made every effort to accommodate the food needs of the attendees. The rooms are fine but the location is downtown, so expect some noise from outside. With the major hotel renovation happening very soon, my hope is that they address the bathroom size and lack of counter space. Parking is available at public parking lots all around the hotel and it is very reasonably priced.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2016

With the exception of the a/c going out on my last night, this is a very comfortable, relaxing hotel. The staff is extraordinary, especially the auto valets and Subbu in the BOS restaurant. I'm so impressed with the people here.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2016

I am being kind to this hotel because the public spaces and staff are lovely. The rooms, however, another story. We stayed on the Club floor. The room was just big enough for the king bed and basically nothing else. The bathroom had no space for toiletries (no vanity). The a/c was inadequate. As we were there for a wedding, I visited 6-8 other rooms on different floors. Some were nice, most were big but everyone, even the ones with 2 bathrooms, had tiny bathrooms. This was not an inexpensive hotel, $600+ for 3 nights. No refrigerator in the room; no safe in the entire hotel let alone the rooms.The Hyatt around the corner would have been a better choice.

Room tip: ask, the rooms are so random, you need to ask.
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
danhaymes, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2016

Hello Annarbeit,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on TripAdvisor. It seems that we have fallen short with your experience, specifically with our guest rooms. I have shared your feedback with our Chief Engineer and our Front Desk Manager to see that we resolve these issues.

As you might have noticed we are about to undergo a major renovation of the entire property. This is sure to improve the guest room look and quality.

If your travels do bring you back to Des Moines, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I can ensure your needs are met, and you will have nothing short of an exceptional experience.

Dan Haymes