US$166
US$152
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$178/night.

US$183
QualityInn
US$127
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$159
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
Free cancellation until 28/07
Travelocity
US$151
US$134
galahotels.com
All reviewshi expresscollege tourroom was cleanfirst floorfree breakfastwould stay here againnice breakfastnice sizelobby areastate fairoatmealcampushiemarsdowntowningersollcomputers
Reviewed May 28, 2017

We arrived 4.30pm to be told that our room was not ready and would take 15 mins or so to sort. Not a great problem, but when you have been travelling for hours this was disappointing. The front desk staff were apologetic and polite.
We were upgraded which was nice. Room was fine. The towels were old and grey, not white fluffy ones, which we usually experience.
The breakfast area was small and window less, which wasn't pleasant to sit in. I had to wipe our table both mornings to get rid of crumbs before seating.
Breakfast was fine though.
The location to see the Capitol building was close by.The price of this hotel was good and parking area was fine.
In nice area close to Drake University.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2017

We truly appreciate your stay with us. Thank you for your honest feedback as the minor issues you experienced are taken by us very seriously and must be corrected immediately.

We strive to make certain that every facet of our guest's stay is enjoyable. We apologize that we did not achieve this with your stay. You can trust that the issues you encountered will be promptly addressed. Thus any and all future guests will not experience these same issues.

Thank you again and safe travels to your next destination.

Reviewed April 28, 2017

I booked here because there were no rooms available due to the World Food Prize influx of visitors. I took taxis into the center and it took about 5 minutes or so. As a result of being mainly in the downtown and working, I didn't spend anytime exploring the hotel area and university campus, but it looks nice. The hotel room was good -- just about everything you need, except no safe box, which was odd in this day in age. I found that slightly annoying. The staff seemed a bit remote -- somehow more interested in being and staying behind the reception counter, but they were civil. The drinks machine with water was broken, the recptionists sold water. I ordered take out food several evenings because there is no restaurant in the hotel. Do not order the Chinese food recommended in a list of restaurants in the hotel room. It was disgusting. The other options are unfortunately chain junk food restaurants. I guess it's what university students like, which is sad. They have a cool help yourself breakfast nook with coffee, tea, muffins and bagels. I took a couple of bagels with me each day, which was very convenient. That was great. There are printers and computer terminals in the foyer. The printing is free of charge, so that is great. Basically, it was quiet and serviceable, but lots lacking in terms of options and experience. The rooms face into an inner square -- that's the kind I was in. It was fine but I would have preferred a view of the world instead. I guess it could be noisy or a bit public if people were sitting at the tables outside. but a nice feature in good weather to be able to sit out. I put that the location is average, but if you want to be at the university it's a fantastic location. If you want to be downtown, don't stay unless you don't mind the travel or everything is booked.

Room Tip: The rooms face into an inner square -- that's the kind I was in. It was fine but I would have preferred a view of the world instead.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
ExpressDrake, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2017

Thank you for your stay and feedback. It seems that overall your stay with us went well, however the few issues you did encounter will be corrected immediately. We appreciate thorough feedback such as yours so we can use it to improve the stays of future guests. Safe travels to your next destination.

Reviewed March 21, 2017

My daughter and I stayed at this property for one night in advance of her tour of Drake University. The front desk clerk, Vincente, was polite, professional and very helpful. The rate was competitive and the property generally well maintained. This is somewhat of a non-traditional Holiday Inn Express in what was likely a hotel owned by another company, set near an older commercial and residential neighborhood. It is very conveniently located to Drake University, one or two blocks from the campus. Use their parking lot while you tour the school.

There is no pool or hot tub. I used the workout facility which consisted of a treadmill, eliptical machine, stationary bike, incline bench and a series of dumbells. The water jug was empty in the machine, and they were out of towels in what was a pretty hot room.

Breakfast was the typical Holiday Inn Express fare with pre-made omelets, pancakes, oatmeal, cereal, toast, muffins (they didn't look too good) and hot cinnamon rolls. Not bad overall.

I would stay here again if I were visiting the campus, which I suspect fills up quickly when there is a major event going on at Drake.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 207 with a view of a small courtyard (nice) but also looks directly across the courtyard to rooms on the other side.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
ExpressDrake, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2017

Thank you for your stay with us. We are thrilled that you found our location ideal for you and your daughter. We apologize for the fitness room issues you encountered this will be addressed immediately. We truly look forward to your next with us.

Reviewed January 28, 2017

We made a reservation for a single king room, only to get a single queen -- only two single king rooms in the whole building; feels like this used to be a dormatory that they took over and got HI to sponsor. Only positive was that it is walking distance to campus/eateries.

Stayed: September 2016
1  Thank DSVance
ExpressDrake, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We do try and accommodate all room requests best we can but unfortunately can't always due to availability. I understand your frustration in not receiving what you had requested. It should have been made clear at time of booking that we can't guarantee a king room as there are a limited number at this property, and I sincerely apologize if this was not the case. All others rooms do have two queen beds with the same amenities as the king rooms. Safe travels to your next destination.

Reviewed January 1, 2017

I usually find Holiday Inn Express to be a reliable name. At the very least, I will get a clean bed and a bath. We checked in very late at night, after an all-day drive. The room was run down, but seemed clean and acceptable. Unfortunately, the whole family was on day 4 of a long road trip, and we had carefully worked out a schedule for us all to get a bath before sleeping. I say unfortunately because, as my wife attempted to move the sketchy, Dollar Store bathmat, she noticed the... crud? I'm not sure what to cal it! Yellowish brownish crust between the tup and bathmat. The kind of thing someone ignores at the beginning of a horror movie. We contemplated the effort involved in changing rooms, and decided that we would bathe in Cleveland the next night. If this were the last hotel in Des Moines, I would drive to Omaha!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2017

We appreciate the feedback Honest J. We want to sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. We have a few tubs which are designed with an attached bath mat. We have replaced most of these tubs due to the fact as the tub ages the bath mat does begin to become unattached around the edges. Underneath the attached bath mats is adhesive which is what you encountered.

Nevertheless this is not something any guest should have to encounter and this tub will replaced immediately. Once again our sincerest apologies and we hope the rest of your family trip goes well for you.