This hotel fit our needs for a visit to family in Des Moines and the State Fair. The rate was a bit cheaper than hotels in downtown. Our room was clean and we were able to park without issue. The Drake Diner shares the parking lot and there is the Mars Cafe just down the street and around the corner which is a great coffee shop. It’s a very easy walk to Drake University, and it’s not far to drive to restaurants downtown or on Ingersoll.
The hotel was quiet and clean, and the staff were cheerful and helpful. The building looks like it might be a former academic building that had been converted, however, it was built specifically as a hotel. In that aspect the architecture is great as it blends in with the university nearby.
The neighborhood around is a little run down, and when we first arrived there were people loitering at on a park bench just outside the front door of the hotel drinking alcohol out of a bottle in a paper bag. The loitering people did not cause any trouble for us.
For our tastes we’re thinking we’ll pay the higher rates to stay downtown the next time we want to stay in Des Moines.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa, home of the Drake Bulldogs and Drake Relays. Holiday Inn Express at Drake is at the heart of this city's renaissance neighborhood and ideally located right on campus. Seconds away are the Knapp Center, and Drake Stadium. Dining is available next door at the retro-themed favorite, Drake Diner. Follow your meal with an independent film a jaunt away at the Varsity Movie Theatre. Come visit the campus, the community, and us; we'll make you feel at home.Plenty of entertainment awaits off campus as well. Attractions include Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Amusement Park, Iowa State Fairgrounds, Principal Park, and Blank Park Zoo. Also nearby are the Civic Center, Convention Complex, Veterans Auditorium, Hy-Vee Hall and Wells Fargo Arena. We are moments from the Historical Building of Iowa, the State Capital, Living History Farms, Terrace Hill, Salisbury Mansion and Hoyt Sherman Place. Centrally situated among all of the Metro's retail districts --- four major malls, many boutiques and antique shops. Seasonal attractions are plentiful and near. Other areas of interest include The East Village, Historic Valley Junction and Downtown Court Avenue District, where nightlife is at its best. Free Wireless Internet available in all guest rooms and public areas. Whether it is business or pleasure that brings you our way, our team is ready to serve you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Iowa