All reviews hi express pancake machine room was clean sliding door first floor nice courtyard would stay here again free breakfast staff was friendly and helpful nice breakfast nice size lobby area state fair exercise room front desk clerk campus hie
Reviewed August 25, 2017

This is an older Holiday Inn Express near Drake University, and I was surprised at the good condition of my room. The office area could use some updating, but the staff was helpful and accommodating during my stay. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
ExpressDrake, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2017

We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us and also the kind words about our staff.

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

The HIE at Drake has the interior (and exterior) feel of a converted dormitory. The facade looks much like the other buildings adjacent, there's an awkward staircase running down into the lobby, etc.

That's not a bad thing, necessarily, it's just, well, differed.

The good news is that the rooms are quiet, the beds comfortable, and parking is free. Nothing, in short, to dislike.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ExpressDrake, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2017

We thank for your stay and the feedback. We are thrilled you an enjoyable stay with us and we do hope to see you again. Take care and safe travels in the meantime.

Reviewed August 20, 2017

This hotel fit our needs for a visit to family in Des Moines and the State Fair. The rate was a bit cheaper than hotels in downtown. Our room was clean and we were able to park without issue. The Drake Diner shares the parking lot and there is the Mars Cafe just down the street and around the corner which is a great coffee shop. It’s a very easy walk to Drake University, and it’s not far to drive to restaurants downtown or on Ingersoll.

The hotel was quiet and clean, and the staff were cheerful and helpful. The building looks like it might be a former academic building that had been converted, however, it was built specifically as a hotel. In that aspect the architecture is great as it blends in with the university nearby.

The neighborhood around is a little run down, and when we first arrived there were people loitering at on a park bench just outside the front door of the hotel drinking alcohol out of a bottle in a paper bag. The loitering people did not cause any trouble for us.

For our tastes we’re thinking we’ll pay the higher rates to stay downtown the next time we want to stay in Des Moines.

Room tip: Room 219 is next to the workout room.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ExpressDrake, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2017

We truly appreciate your stay with us and are pleased that it was pleasant one for you.

Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

Very Clean and professional. Nice breakfast. Good shuttle service to State Fair bus area at capitol and back. and free parking. Coffee always available in the lobby area. It had a nice clean pool although I didn't use it. Rate way $107 plus taxes.

Trip type: Travelled with family
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

I am very pleased you had a pleasant stay. I do believe however it was at our sister location which is the Holiday Inn Downtown Mercy Campus. We do not have a shuttle nor do we have a pool at our property.

I will pass this review along to them.

Reviewed June 20, 2017

I have stayed many times at the Holiday Inn Express Des Moines Drake University, as have several notable friends. In the 25+ years since I first stayed there, my visits have been at least yearly, for business and pleasure. The hotel has an excellent location, with the well-known Drake Diner next door. The grounds were clean, rooms in good condition.

This is no longer the case, apparently with the new management. When I made the reservation this time, the attendant was curt and not helpful. The cost was higher than I would have expected. Awards club membership was not of any advantage.

When we checked in for a two-night stay for a conference. The grounds and entrance were messy, with scrap paper all around, a soiled and decrepit waste can leaning against the building.

The desk attendant was very pleasant and welcoming. Room was okay, but not as many towels and washcloths as HI Express usually have. Beds were comfy, as usual.

Upon returning tot he room the second day, about 2:30 in the afternoon, the room had been entered and towels removed, but bed was not made and there had been no cleaning. There were no towels. A while after we called the desk, two housekeepers came to the door; did not knock, simply shouted. I answered (the door was open already) and one of them curtly asked, "Are you leaving?" I said we were not leaving until the next day. She said, "Why did you call?" I said the room had not been cleaned and there were no towels. There was no offer made to clean the room or get towels; they left.

An hour later, my wife went to the desk to get towels. No apology was made. When we checked out the next morning, there was offer to reduce the charges (though I suggested a reduction would be appropriate) or make amends, only the statement, "I'll let the manager know." The manager was walking past at that moment; surely he could have been notified at that moment.

Grounds were just as messy as we left. Same large pieces of paper were in the entry way as when we checked in, same scraps about the grounds and parking lot. I never even received the usual request to review the hotel. I cannot imagine why not.

I doubt I will stay there again, in spite of years of pleasant experiences. My friends echoed my reaction, based upon their recent stays. Too bad.

Room tip: A good location: close to downtown and restaurants. Terrible service lately.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
ExpressDrake, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2017

Thank you your stay as well as the constructive feedback regarding your stay. Your experience with us fell well below the standards of our property. I do not have a good explanation for the many troubling issues you encountered. I offer my sincerest apologies and give you my word that each of these issues will be corrected immediately.

We truly appreciate your business throughout the years. I understand if you no longer choose to stay at our property, but hope you will give us another chance.

Thank you again for your business and I wish you a wonderful rest of your summer.