Although average for its peers within the Holiday Inn Express franchise, the location near Drake University in the geographical middle of Des Moines is a feature in itself. Pluses beyond location include a super-friendly staff, quiet and comfortable rooms with excellent bedding, and an terrific free breakfast. Three of us over-nighted here before driving nearly a thousand miles north into Canada for an epic fishing adventure. The staff most willingly accommodated our request for a cot, extra room keys, etc. We stayed here again when we returned from Canada, arriving after midnight, and received the same warm hospitality.
On the flip side, the room rate was pricy for the size and quality of the property which showed signs of age and deferred maintenance. The bathroom had been updated, but the quality of the tile work was a bit crude, and there was evidence of water leaks around windows throughout the building. The toilet didn’t flush properly in the room we had the first night, and the printers with the computers in the lobby did not print output from the Internet. For folks in need of a room in central Des Moines, this hotel is a candidate as long as you can overlook little items such as those mentioned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa, home of the Drake Bulldogs and Drake Relays. Holiday Inn Express at Drake is at the heart of this city's renaissance neighborhood and ideally located right on campus. Seconds away are the Knapp Center, and Drake Stadium. Dining is available next door at the retro-themed favorite, Drake Diner. Follow your meal with an independent film a jaunt away at the Varsity Movie Theatre. Come visit the campus, the community, and us; we'll make you feel at home.Plenty of entertainment awaits off campus as well. Attractions include Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Amusement Park, Iowa State Fairgrounds, Principal Park, and Blank Park Zoo. Also nearby are the Civic Center, Convention Complex, Veterans Auditorium, Hy-Vee Hall and Wells Fargo Arena. We are moments from the Historical Building of Iowa, the State Capital, Living History Farms, Terrace Hill, Salisbury Mansion and Hoyt Sherman Place. Centrally situated among all of the Metro's retail districts --- four major malls, many boutiques and antique shops. Seasonal attractions are plentiful and near. Other areas of interest include The East Village, Historic Valley Junction and Downtown Court Avenue District, where nightlife is at its best. Free Wireless Internet available in all guest rooms and public areas. Whether it is business or pleasure that brings you our way, our team is ready to serve you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University Iowa