Open today: 4:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Review Highlights
"Great For Hiking"

Many different trails along with several parking areas give you the choice for a quick walk or one... read more

Reviewed October 28, 2018
jaylbay
Chicago, Illinois
Large recreation area south of Dubuque

This is an unexpectedly large recreation with many trails and roads to walk, run, and bike. It is... read more

Reviewed October 28, 2018
davidlI5106MM

All reviews julien dubuque interpretive center nature center hiking trails great trails great place to hike catfish mississippi river eagle scout french canadian worth a trip up hill beautiful park interesting history dubuque area horseshoe monument
Reviewed August 14, 2018

This is a beautiful, well-signed, and well-maintained park. It's worth a stop if you only have an hour. The horseshoe trail has beautiful views and is appropriate for children. I walked it with my 6 and 9 year old niece and nephew. Stop at the Julien Dubuque Monument. The river views are gorgeous!

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank megehen
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

My kids and I hiked the horseshoe trail - 3 levels with stairs and amazing views of the river, Dubuque and the bluffs. I believe it was less than a mile. This was our favorite trail due to the views.

We also hiked the catfish creek trail. Lots of inclines (stairs for the steeper areas) which is a bit difficult for myself and my 5 year old. Beautiful but lots and lots of mosquitoes.

We were going to hike up to the Julien Dubuque monument but the youngest was too tired. Instead to drove to the upper parking lot to view the monument. It looks like a castle tower and it’s the gravesite of Julien Dubuque. You can see the monument in the distance from the top level of the horseshoe trail.

We had planned to grill for lunch but couldn’t find any grills at the picnic areas near the trails we hiked.

Also, the interpretive center is closed on Wednesdays.

Reviewed July 23, 2018

We were amazed at the number of trails and how beautiful they were. We had a great time exploring and would go back in an instant. The trails are accessed by rode, no entrance fee to the park at all.

Reviewed July 21, 2018

Just south of Dubuque, Iowa, the Mines of Spain State Recreation Area covers 1437 acres filled with diverse wildlife and resources detailing the history of the Meskwaki (Mesquakie) Indians (later subsumed by the Fox), their lives with the first permanent French-Canadian fur trader, Julien Dubuque, and lead mines. The area played an important role in America's history of trade, immigration, farming and westward expansion. Fifteen hiking trails pass through areas inhabited by the Meskwaki, Fox and Sauk along with other interesting historical sites. The E.B. Lyons Interpretive Center is beautifully done and the staff provide talks for youngsters and are very well versed on the history and sites in the region.

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank patkaloger
Reviewed July 15, 2018

This park is huge, with lots of different parking lots. I had researched in advance trails to run on without realizing I also needed to know where to park, so it took a bit to get started. The trail was well-marked from the parking lot, but then never again - and there were many, many splits. We kept guessing where to go, and as a result wound up back at the parking lot before we had covered the distance we wanted, so had to run back out and back. So while the park was lovely, it was not practical for someone who doesn't already know it (at least the trails we went on, which I believe were the Prairie and Cedar Ridge Trails).

1  Thank Rooindie