Open today: 4:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Review Highlights
Nice tribute to Julien Dubuque

Narrow road off Route 52 which is approximately 4 miles long. Go all the way (past several parking... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Beth Brown L
via mobile
Gorgeous spot to see the Mississippi River!

We saw a sign for this park and decided to check it out before heading back to our hotel for the... read more

Reviewed August 23, 2018
JARtraveler29
Plymouth, Michigan

All reviews julien dubuque interpretive center nature center hiking trails great hiking great place to hike catfish mississippi river eagle scout state recreation area beautiful area french canadian up hill interesting history great view horseshoe monument
Reviewed August 14, 2018

This is a beautiful, well-signed, and well-maintained park. It's worth a stop if you only have an hour. The horseshoe trail has beautiful views and is appropriate for children. I walked it with my 6 and 9 year old niece and nephew. Stop at the Julien Dubuque Monument. The river views are gorgeous!

1  Thank megehen
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

My kids and I hiked the horseshoe trail - 3 levels with stairs and amazing views of the river, Dubuque and the bluffs. I believe it was less than a mile. This was our favorite trail due to the views.

We also hiked the catfish creek trail. Lots of inclines (stairs for the steeper areas) which is a bit difficult for myself and my 5 year old. Beautiful but lots and lots of mosquitoes.

We were going to hike up to the Julien Dubuque monument but the youngest was too tired. Instead to drove to the upper parking lot to view the monument. It looks like a castle tower and it’s the gravesite of Julien Dubuque. You can see the monument in the distance from the top level of the horseshoe trail.

We had planned to grill for lunch but couldn’t find any grills at the picnic areas near the trails we hiked.

Also, the interpretive center is closed on Wednesdays.

Reviewed July 23, 2018

We were amazed at the number of trails and how beautiful they were. We had a great time exploring and would go back in an instant. The trails are accessed by rode, no entrance fee to the park at all.

Reviewed July 21, 2018

Just south of Dubuque, Iowa, the Mines of Spain State Recreation Area covers 1437 acres filled with diverse wildlife and resources detailing the history of the Meskwaki (Mesquakie) Indians (later subsumed by the Fox), their lives with the first permanent French-Canadian fur trader, Julien Dubuque, and lead mines. The area played an important role in America's history of trade, immigration, farming and westward expansion. Fifteen hiking trails pass through areas inhabited by the Meskwaki, Fox and Sauk along with other interesting historical sites. The E.B. Lyons Interpretive Center is beautifully done and the staff provide talks for youngsters and are very well versed on the history and sites in the region.

1  Thank patkaloger
Reviewed July 15, 2018

This park is huge, with lots of different parking lots. I had researched in advance trails to run on without realizing I also needed to know where to park, so it took a bit to get started. The trail was well-marked from the parking lot, but then never again - and there were many, many splits. We kept guessing where to go, and as a result wound up back at the parking lot before we had covered the distance we wanted, so had to run back out and back. So while the park was lovely, it was not practical for someone who doesn't already know it (at least the trails we went on, which I believe were the Prairie and Cedar Ridge Trails).

1  Thank Rooindie