“Convenient Restaurant, Great Pool, Spotty Service”

Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 14 November 2017

My daughter is considering one of the area universities, and I stayed at this hotel on a college visit. I experienced some highs and a one notable low.

The low - I had a very poor check-in experience at this hotel. To summarize, I arrived early, at 11AM. I didn't expect my room to be ready, but approached the front desk to ask. They suggested that I check back at about 2. They did not offer to phone or text me when the room was ready. They did not offer to hold my bags or let me use the pool area. I left the hotel, went to lunch, did some shopping. I phoned the hotel at 2. They told me that it would be about another 30-40 min. Again, no offer to phone or text when room was ready. I returned to the hotel 20 minutes later, at 2:30 and was told "another 40 minutes". No offer to phone or text when room was ready. I returned at 3:15 and the room was ready. If it had not been, I'd have been extremely disappointed.

I travel a lot. I arrive early to hotels a lot. I know that a person is lucky if a room is ready early. I also know that typically, staff offer to hold bags, use amenities, offers to phone/text when room is ready. I know that quite often, when a person arrives early, that guest's room prep is prioritized. Clearly, my room was not prioritized. What a bummer. If, at 11:00, I was told that there was no chance that my room would be ready until check-in time at 3:00 (actually later, at 3:15), I might have planned activities including visiting the museum at the riverfront or going to a movie at the theater nearby. Instead, I went to lunch, went to the mall, phoned, was given a 30 min timeframe, went to Pier 1, returned to the hotel, was sorry, another 40 min, and went to Target. Good thing there was plenty of shopping nearby. Absolute waste of a day. By 3:15 I was pretty salty about the over-promise and under-deliver situation.

Now, to the highs - room was very clean and quite roomy. Beds were comfortable. The pool area was exceptional. My younger daughter loved it. The pool is in a large atrium with rooms opening right to the pool, or to a hallway above the pool with access very quick, down a short flight of stairs. Included in the pool area is a large patio section with tables and chairs, ping pong, and pool tables. There is a small game room with air hocket. Very nice for families. Not very nice if you're looking for a place to nap in the afternoon, as the pool noise is unavoidable. But if you're looking at this hotel, you're probably not looking for a quiet out-of-the-way hotel. One very noticeable plus for me, is that neither the property nor the room reeked of chlorine - at all. Yes, some pool smell, but it's a huge room with a huge atrium. None of the horrid chlorine smell.

Champps sports bar/restaurant is attached to the hotel through the lobby. Even on a quite packed Saturday night with lots of big college football games, dinner service was quick and excellent. Breakfast was included with the stay, and a buffett was set up at Champps. Nice breakfast, with great variety from cereal and yogurt to biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, etc.

Location - the location can not be beat if you're visiting one of the area colleges. Very easy in-out, everything is close. Granted, there are some hotels nearby, but this one is very quick off and on the highway.

One very high high in regard to service, which will be the one thing that could keep me coming back after the poor check-in experience - I am an early riser. As such, I often sit around reading in hotel common areas until my family wakes up. I arrived in the lobby at 4:30AM. Coffee is not out at that hour - anywhere. After reading for a couple of minutes, I saw the front desk staff a man whose name I did not get. I asked him when coffee might be available. He said "I usually put it out at about 5, but I saw you come down, and I put a fresh pot on. It's almost ready." About 2 minutes later he called over to me to let me know that coffee was ready and he directed me to the coffee area. He could have waited until 5 to make the coffee as usual. He could have waited until I asked for coffee. But this man saw a service opportunity and took it -making coffee before I even asked for it. Congrats to the gentleman working early on the morning of Sunday Nov 12 - nice job and thank you!!!!

And so - I booked this hotel despite being a Hilton member (Hampton virtually next door) because of the pool and activity area as well as the attached sport bar/restaurant. At time of check in, I said I'd never book there again. After the great early-morning customer service experience, I changed my mind. I would book there again. And probably will, as my daughter is highly likely to be going to the college she visited.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Mike G, Front Desk Lead at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Susan,

We appreciate you taking time out of your day to complete a review, and what a great review it was, of the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center after your recent stay with us. Although your check-in experience was not all that efficient and not a great first impression at all, we are very happy to hear our staff and facilities were able to make a better impression on you during the remainder of your stay and that you would book again to stay with us. Please keep in mind we do offer discounts for parents visiting their children at the local college/universities, so be sure to ask when you book your next stay directly with us.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Passing thru on our way to California...needed a place to rest. Trip Advisor reviews were spot on. Excellent place to stay, if I could have I would have stayed longer. Indoor pool looked so inviting but no time to use it. Room very clean, beds comfy, we had our doggy with us and they were very accommodating. Complimentary breakfast was excellent as is the restaurant Champps for dinner. Not too pricey and wonderful service. If we are ever back this way this is our hotel of choice.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Mike G, Front Desk Lead at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

Cathy,

Thank you for taking time to complete a review after your stay with us at the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center. We greatly appreciate the 5 circle rating as well as the positive comments you made regarding the hotel and Champps Americana. Hopefully your travels have your passing through Dubuque, Iowa again in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

we had 3 families stay for the weekend, enjoyed the pool and the facility very much. Would stay here again. Our families had so much fun playing all the games and just enjoying the facility. We would recommend this place to stay at.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mike G, Front Desk Lead at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Thank you for the 5 circle review after your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center. We are happy to hear you and the other families enjoyed our facilities and are pleased to you would recommend us to others. Hopefully we will see all back again sometime.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We stayed here after attending the Galena Halloween parade. This was a great family hotel with a large pool and seating area. Good attached restaurant with good service a little pricy. Buffet breakfast included, could have used a few more options but the food quality was good. Room was clean and very comfortable. Staff is friendly and very helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We appreciate you taking time to complete a review of the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center after your recent visit with us. We area pleased to hear you enjoyed our facilities as well as on-site restaurants Champps Americana. Hopefully we will see again sometime.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Be prepared to be kept awake until the pool area clears out. The atrium is very neat while swimming, but loud when you return to your room, as it echoes. Pool water and area very cold. Good hot breakfast though!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking time to complete a review of the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center after your recent with us. For future reference the majority of our rooms are located away from the pool where you will find to be a lot quieter throughout the day/evening. Hopefully you will come back to visit us again sometime.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Our room was large and very clean. The king bed was comfortable. The breakfast was very good, food was hot and the coffee was good. They have a wonderful pool area, great for families with a nice seating area to socialize in.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We appreciate you taking time out of your day to complete a review of the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center after your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our facilities as well as the attached restaurant Champps Americana. Hopefully we will see back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

My family loves this BW! They have comfortable beds, great service, and make you feel welcome. Our daughter goes to College here and we stay at this BW for the past three years. Be sure not to reserve a pool view room as it can be somewhat noisey. If they would have offered bacon for breakfast they would have scored a 10 rating in my book.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mike G, Front Desk Lead at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Will,

Thank you for 5 star review after your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center. We are pleased to hear you love our hotel and that we are your hotel of choice when visiting your daughter in town.