“Yum!”

Ranked #98 of 288 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed November 25, 2014

We stopped in because every place else was packed, glad we did. Staff was super nice and easy going. Sandwiches were large and filling. I ordered the Caesar Wrap, it was good, but I ended up eating the my brother's buffalo chicken sandwich, wishing I would've gotten that. I would recommend trying something out of your comfort zone! Reasonably priced.

1  Thank Brittani R

Reviewed November 22, 2014 via mobile

The staff was very welcoming and treated the customers like family. They offered good recommendations, including my new favorite side, the pesto pasta. My friend I went with said the sandwich was good, but the soup was just ok. The portions were huge, a typical half sandwich is the size of a typical full sandwich you would make at home!

Good on game day when all the bars are packed because the service is quick and the food is filling!

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in Iowa City on a road trip and had lunch at Mamas. The bread is whole grain and toasted and seriously so good. I would imagine any sandwich on this bread is great! We had the chicken salad and the chipotle chicken. Both were very yummy and filling. Get the smaller portion, it's still huge!! :)

Reviewed February 20, 2014

OK - I "used" to like this place but I was disappointed by a recent visit. I want to pose 2 questions to Mama's cooks: 1) How can you mess up a turkey sandwich? and 2) How can you mess up mac and cheese? It was a yucky experience. I won't be going there again. P.S. the decor is nice.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have frequented Mama's for the past 3-5 years. On my last visit, I was hoping the kitchen had run out of avacados and wasabi mayo for my turkey sandwich and recently learned that the soul of my favorite sandwich is gone. The delicious, golden toasted bread is the same but it is merely a shell for a sandwich that I used to crave. The rich avacados and wasabi flavor can not be substituted with a good slathering of regular mayo. Moreover, I had loved the variety of soups that had been amped up with some complex flavors to the ordinary base broths. On my last visit, eating a vacant lobster meat lobster bisque, it could have passed for tomato bisque. To me, the recipes that kept me coming back to eat have been messed with and I don't crave the food anymore. The food is still good and a good value (prices did increase slightly) but I would prefer to eat the superb food I once knew. It is sad management has made these decisions to cut/change what appeared to be a successful restaurant with the number of customers I had dined in the company of. In the past, I had told friends and coworkers of the good food at Mama's. I can only hope they experienced it prior to the changes and can discern the changes. Otherwise, I would be embarrassed for recommending a restaurant with good but average food. I am disappointed and have lowered my expectations of future visits.