“Best gluten free sandwiches anywhere!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama's Deli and Catering
Ranked #98 of 288 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed November 8, 2017

Due to severe gluten allergies, finding a location to have gluten free sandwiches is a blessing. It is even more special when the sandwiches are wonderful. The selection, quantity and quality are unmatched.

Reviewed May 11, 2017 via mobile

I had lunch here for the first time and had a buffalo chicken wrap. I was hoping for fried chicken but it was boneless, skinless chicken breast. There was no flavor to the buffalo sauce, which in itself is strange. I asked for blue cheese dressing instead of ranch, but either they left it off entirely, or they hardly put any on, because I could not taste it. There was also supposed to be cheddar cheese, but if there was any, it escaped my notice. I also had a cup of kale potato soup that was nothing special. There are way too many good restaurants in Iowa City to bother with one that is less than great. While the service was fine, as was the price and the quantity, it just wasn't anything more than average.

Reviewed September 18, 2016

We were starving when we found this place to eat, plus it was rated good on Trip Advisor. I ordered the meatloaf dinner which came with two huge pieces of meat, potatoes and green beans, it was delicious. The other person with me order the pork tenderloin sandwich which is suppose to be the best. Once she got to the middle of the sandwich it was raw, which was a big turnoff. They didn't charge us for it, but it was a big disappointment since they are know for these sandwiches. I would give them another try, but I would cut into it before I started eating it, next time.

Reviewed August 2, 2016

Due to street construction, had to park 2 blocks away and walk...but was worth the effort. I had the grilled cheese, on wonderful gluten free bread, and the Iowa vegetable soup. My table also had the chicken salad, the Reuben and Wisconsin cheese soup. Everything was delicious and fresh. The grilled cheese was hot, melted and had this garlicy sauce...an awesome surprise...with bacon, tomato and melted cheese. The soup tasted very good having a variety of cooked vegetables. Can't say enough about the staff...fast service and clean. Met the owner/cook staff when I inquired about the gluten free bread. I purchased a loaf. The best GF bread I have ever had..totally homemade! What a treat!

Reviewed March 16, 2016

The place is cute, the food ordinary, and your clothes will assume all the cooking smells of the place, in only 30 minutes. I like these small local places but this place is just too small.