“Awesome burgers, fries and craft beer - a bit on the small side”

Shorts Burger & Shine
Ranked #12 of 288 Restaurants in Iowa City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed August 3, 2018

I love shorts. It has everything I want. First, it's located right next to campus in the heart of all the action. The tiny store front along Clinton St makes it easy to miss. All you get is a faded burgundy awning with the words Short's Burger & Shine. It's easy to miss. Inside, the place is just as small as the store front indicates. There is a small row of two person tables along the right side and a row of four person booths on the left side. The bar and one single large table can be found in the back. It's tight, cozy and awesome atmosphere.

The food was great. We tried several of the burgers. The meat is cooked correctly and has wonderful seasoning. Once you add your style of toppings to make the burger you like, it's soo good. The fries were really well done. Short's also has a reasonable selection of craft beers, which makes me love this place even more.

I almost landed on four stars because of the service. In the end, I loved the food and atmosphere too much to ding it for the poor service. It's not a big place, but getting a server is rough going.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I stopped on Monday and chose to sit outside, which was nice. We come here frequently, it is always good for burgers and fries. I wish that they would offer lettuce instead of a bun. They had shredded but no leaf to wrap burger in. Fries are great, especially with the bbq sauce. Fun little place to eat downtown.

Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

In town on business so decided to go behind enemy (Big 10) lines and see how they live. Not too bad, I have to say. The service might’ve been a little slow, but the servers were extraordinarily charming and friendly. Being close to campus, I’ll also add that young men probably flock here just for the service ;)

Had the Dundee and it was outstanding. We also showed up (by chance) for the $6.99 burger special. WOW. The fries were some of the best I’ve had (and I’ve had a few), and the burger could only have been improved by the egg yolk being runny. Also the house sauce is great on the fries!

Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

Was in the area so we finally decided to stop and check it out! We each had a burger with homemade cut fries and very good and filling! Next time I’d split it with my husband. The place is small inside and burgers with fries $11.49

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

Good place, however small, to head to for burgers and beer. Not a huge burger fan, in general, but Shorts are better than many of the other local restaurants serving burgers. Will go back!

Date of visit: June 2018