“Excellent Cuisine in Iowa”
Review of One Twenty Six

One Twenty Six
Reserve with OpenTable
One Twenty Six is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 289 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$14 - US$24
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

A sophisticated and warm space multi levels. Very young vibrant college-age staff. Absolutely delicious mixed drinks. Very sophisticated cuisine with a surprise on every dish. Lots of Israeli couscous alongside or underneath entrées. I had the Scottish salmon which was prepared perfectly and absolutely tender and delicious. Phylo wrapped squash was delectable and unusual. Varief menu but quite satisfying if you’re a vegetarian as well.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Outstanding service, which is really the key point of going out for dinner (at least for me). The staff here are friendly, attentive and actually quite personable. Indeed, they made a great evening of it for us. That said, the menu could use some upgrading -- perhaps the issue is late-winter freshness of vegetables, which I must admit is a real challenge in the Midwest. But the menu did seem a bit dated and not in keeping with key developments in French cooking over the past decade. Yes, not fair, afterall this is Iowa City. But I guess that's my point -- Iowa City is a classy place if you let it be -- and the talented, hard working staff deserve a menu that matches their excellence. I look forward to my next visit to 126 in IC, but will approach with a bit of skepticism.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed February 5, 2018

Always great service. I enjoy the menu choices. Just a little hard to have a conversation due to high ceilings. This place has wonderful character.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed June 25, 2017

My wife and I ate here before seeing a concert. I was a little concerned when we walked in. There was only one other couple there at the time. Not to worry. The food was good and so was the service.

I had the osso bucco. I felt it was slightly over done but had great flavor and was still pretty moist. The polenta was very good. My wife had the skirt steak. She really liked hers. It was done to order and had good flavor.

Our waitress was very attentive without being overbearing. She kept my water glass filled, a very difficult task!.

We both had wines by the glass. Mine was very good. It was from southern Rhone. I do not remember exactly which one it was. I wish I could have ordered a bottle. The selection seems quite good.

We ate at this restaurant because it was right down the street from the Englert Theatre. This is a beautiful area of Iowa City. Come eat at One Twenty Six and take in the sights of the area. You will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed February 22, 2017

I love to eat lunch hear. The beet salad is among my favorite meals: good presentation and great beets and cheese. The owner is friendly and charming and efficient. The staff is attentive but not smarmy.

Date of visit: February 2017