“Absoltely Amazing!!”
Review of Brown Street Inn

Brown Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I had been looking for a place to stay and have our wedding when I came across the Brown Street Inn. And let me say, WOW, it is a very beautiful B7B that is very warm and welcoming!! Mark, the owner is just amazing and helped us with everything and anything that we needed. His breakfast is wonderful and the cookies he makes and leves out..well..mmmmmmm!!! I could just go on and on about this plave and i still couldn't say enough for this place. Like you I read reviews and I am so glad it influenced me to go here. If your going to Iowa City, it is a must stay place and amazing for a wedding!!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are beautiful so you will be happy with any choice you make
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 December 2011

The B & B I used to go to closed. Brown Street Inn was truly a great replacement and I would stay there every time I was in Iowa City. Great location, I felt so at home there, and Mark was so great and loving. Wonderful breakfast, small refrigerator in room, cookies at night, stocked water, soda, tea and coffee! I was so am still am sad about the retirement of my old B & B but this one is excellent and truly made me feel at home. I spent time downstairs in the living room, etc. when I got home from work and I just felt so comfortable walking around, being near the fireplace and looking at Mark and Bob's wonderful home. It is truly a great experience! In three months I will return there for work. Natalie

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This is one of the best Beds & Breakfasts my wife and I have stayed in and we have stayed in many. The house is charming and beautifully decorated. The hosts are charming and very accommodating. We stayed in the Red Room; it was large, very comfortable. The breakfasts were first rate. The neighborhood is charming (right next to the house where Kurt Vonnegut once lived.) Iowa City is a pleasant Midwestern town. There is no reason not to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank amishlaw
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I highly recommend this charming B&B in a historic neighborhood in Iowa City. I stayed at the Brown Street Inn while visiting my daughter who lived down the street. She knew I would love it by the front porch and she was right. Very cozy, homey - the fireplace burning in the library with plenty of easy chairs to relax in. The rooms were period decorated, beds comfortable, pillows great. Water & tea on a chest in the hallway. Breakfast was a treat of homemade bakery goods from nearby with fresh butter & local jams.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I stayed for three nights at the Brown Street Inn while moving my freshman into the university. The Inn is the utmost in comfort. I was in the Red Room which is very large and beautifully decorated. Mark did a fabulous job of making my stay comfortable and relaxing. The large front porch is a great place for reading and I imagine a winters day by the fireplace in the livingroom would be lovely. It is in a quiet neighborhood, close to the university, but away from the crowds. I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Everything all the other reviewers say is accurate, I cannot compound it more. Mark is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met in a B&B. Better hosts do not exist. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MitchSonora_CA
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed at the Brown Street Inn for two nights on a visit to Iowa City to see my Freshman. On previous trips to IC we stayed in the hotelVitro and the Sheraton. (Also stayed at the Iowa House Hotel, but that is such a bad property it doesn't even merit inclusion in the dialog). The price point for the BSI is about the same as the other two properties, but when you throw in a fantastic weekend morning breakfast and free (outdoor) parking, it is a better value and compares favorably to these other properties.

My reviews of the hotelVItro and Sheraton are more or less neutral. You get a fantastic central location right on the pedestrian mall -- health club and swimming pool, too -- but the rooms are kind of blah (both times we looked out over a rooftop air conditioning unit), the service a bit impersonal. Breakfast in the lobby was the same stuff you'd get at an airport Marriott or Holiday Inn. Not bad just nothing to write home about.

On this trip we decided to mix things up and stay at the BSI (largely based on TA reviews). It is a bit further from downtown, but it is an easy walk from BSI to Berge dormitory, to downtown and in general to most of what is going on in Iowa City. It was about a mile to the pedestrian walkway. I have to say, with peak autumn colors, wide tree-lined streets, 75 degree weather (slight breeze and spectacular sunshine) and cool brisk moonlit evenings: the BSI was a showplace. The whole weekend was like a recruiting poster.

We arrived late (about 8 pm) and met LJ at the front door. Mark welcomed us and immediately showed us to our room, and provided information on evening dinner options in IC. Quite a difference from pulling up into a big hotel. Mark has been doing this for a while and you can tell he has perfected being "accommodative" without being intrusive. He was congenial and engaging. Parking is available on site (for no fee).

We stayed in the 3rd floor suite which was spacious. Comfortable bed, sitting couch, small desk, with a roll-away provided for my daughter. Everything in the room worked, was spotless and quaint. Believe it or not we needed to use the a/c. King-sized bed was fantastic. Still lots of room to spread out and unpack. Bathroom was quite large. Loads of towels. I'm 6'6" and the shower easily accommodated my height. (The suite is on the third floor, so expect some stairs). Mini fridge in room was great (microwave in room too). Wi Fi available.

The communal living space was tastefully decorated and comfortable looking. Lots of easy chairs and sofas. We spent nearly every free minute at the B&B sitting outdoors on rocking chairs on the large front porch. LJ immediately warmed up to my wife. Fantastic. Relaxing. Private. Not sure if I would have been quite so impressed with it during February, but October is a great month to sit out and enjoy the evening in a quiet neighborhood.

The Sat and Sun morning breakfasts were outstanding. Stuffed blueberry french toast, vegetarian quiche, ham, sausage. Very hearty and delicious. They even hosted my son who welcomed the change from his customary dorm food.

Overall, I highly recommend the Brown Street Inn. I plan to stay there again. Not sure if I will ever experience the type of weather again, but the welcoming Brown Street Inn is a winner.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor suite easily accommodates three people if one is willing to sleep on a roll-away.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
1.3 km away
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
1.2 km away
2.6 km away
Travelodge Iowa City
Travelodge Iowa City
#5 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!