“Brilliant both times. ”

The Green Dragon
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Brook
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Green Dragon dates from the 15th century. It was originally premises for a wheelwright and a coffin maker, then became a beer house some 200 years ago. Set in a delightful rural setting, the pub overlooks a stream which is spanned by a humped-backed bridge. During the summer months ponies and donkeys can be seen shading on the forecourt of the Inn. The Pub displays a number of 'bends' of leather, which bear imprints of hot iron brands. These brands represent owners of animals who have commoners rights to allow their livestock to graze on New Forest Land. To the rear of the pub is a small patio area that leads to our garden, which is a wonderful place to sit and relax in the summer. Why not come in and enjoy a pint of one of our four cask ales? These ales change all the time so keep an eye out for your favourites. We are a dog friendly pub although we do ask that you keep them on leads at all times. We do not allow dogs in the restaurant, this keeps one part of the pub a dog free area.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

I ate here twice in March getting to experience two different menus as they introduced a new menu at the end of the month.
First time I had a gorgeous chicken dish with perfectly cooked veg and saute potatoes. And my friend thoroughly enjoyed his sausage and mash.
The 2nd time my friend opted for the chicken dish as he had food envy from our previous visit. Although it wasn't the same as mine, however he was not dissapointed. My other friend had the Sea Trout and loved it and I chose the wild boar burger from the specials.
The service from the Management couple was lovely. They were both attentive and welcoming without being over baring.
On our 2nd visit we all had puddings and again all enjoyed them, my only advice would be to ask when you order how your dessert will be plated (or not as the case may be) as I had the brownie which come on a slate. My teeth are so sensitive I couldn't bare the spoon scraping on the slate, so I asked for a bowl Which was no problem.
Overall, great food and great service.

Date of visit: March 2018
GreenDragonBrook, General Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Thank you so much for you lovely review of our pub.
Our new menu is indeed now in place and has had a great deal of fantastic feed back.
We will pass on your praises to our chefs and front of house team members, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Keep an eye out for our events and promotions. Including our right royal knees up, royal wedding celebrations and our gin festival.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Inedible, slushy over sweetened tomato sauce on soggy pasta with a tiny portion of tasteless breadcrumbed sea trout, £16 and had to ask for the accompanying asparagus for both our meals, 2 spears each! My wife ordered the ‘superfood’ salad with grilled chicken, also £16, consisting of a few spinach leaves with a miniscule amount of broad beans thrown in and an unseasoned small piece of chicken breast. Seemed like a tourist rip off. Very surprised that this pub has such high reviews, maybe we caught it on an off day, but we won’t be trying it again.

Date of visit: April 2018

We are extremely disappointed that we didn't live up to our usual high standards during your visit.
If you would like to contact us at the pub or by email through our website, we would very much like to rectify the situation.

Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

A group of us arrived separately here for a brief stopover and a bite to eat. The atmosphere was convivial and we found a menu with lots of choice for all appetites. Some had the delicious soup, others the great value light bite cod and chips @£7.50 and others the full mains. All were happy with their choices and we will call again en route home

Date of visit: March 2018
GreenDragonBrook, Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2018

Thank you for your review.
Our light bites are very popular and we are happy that you and your party all enjoyed your experience with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Keep an eye on our website and facebook page for upcoming events and promotions, including ' the right royal knees up' & gin festival

Reviewed March 18, 2018

Cozy pub, smart staff and quick to offer service, menu offers good variety including options for vegetarians etc, and specials menu,...
Reasonably priced, and tasted really lovely.
I had calves liver and deep fried pancetta with potatoes and red cabbage, the liver was cooked perfect and both meals for us came out very hot and at the same time.
The restaurant was tidy and there was a few board games tucked away should you be travelling in the new forest with children/family and want a game while you wait for your food. There was plenty of outside area for eating and drinking, with beautiful views of the countryside. The garden had a toadstool type of table and chairs made of wood for children and a little wooden train, horses in the field beyond the pub garden. I would imagine this place is busy in the summer,...I would recommend here for eating and drinking for sure.

1  Thank Torie D

Thank you so much for your great review of our pub.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

This review is based on my experience on the day, and could be different for you but I doubt it very much.

Ok, a mate does you a big favour and in return you offer to take him out for lunch and he chooses the venue.

He chose the The Green Dragon. I am glad he did. We both live close to this pub/restaurant but I did not know it existed he obviously did ! D’oh!

Greeted by two attractive ladies, more than just waitress’s I would say who said to Peruse the menu’s (2 l, standard and specials) and told we would be seated in a minute. And true to their word we were.

Located in a beautiful area, just added to the enjoyment.

Having made my decision almost immediately when I first looked at both menus my mate chose his. I chose a starter of sticky pork belly served with a side salad. Oh my god!! This was worth the drive alone- compliments to the chef for this, it was gorgeous, to the point of melting or falling apart ( in the best possible way) in my mouth and tasted so good to boot. My mate chose olives. He said they were very nice to.

We both went for the burger, but me being my usual nightmare changed my mind and added bacon and cheese to it. Worth the additional small outlay fur both these items. Burgers came with larger onion rings, and large cut chips.

All was downed by diet Coke and coffee afterwards.

One thing I would like to compliment both the girls on was, they were only told once what each of us wanted with add ons, and there was no computer, hand held tablet, pad or pen just in there memory and no mistakes made, and good service to boot. Does it get any better.

All I am going to say to you is... you have to try this pub/restaurant. It really is that good...I will be back...

Date of visit: March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind review of our pub.
Your comments and praise have been passed on to our team members.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.