Hotel Ancon
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Club Amigo Costasur(Playa Ancon)
  • Pool
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
Hotel La Ronda(Trinidad)
  • Restaurant
Villa Guajimico(Trinidad)
  • Pool
1,012 results
All reviewsseafood restaurantgreat beachlobsterocean viewpublic relationscienfuegos airportfood was finesectioncatamaranclothinghutkilometerssalsajesussingercasildaanimation
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Another fun trip to Ancon and Trinidad. I've been all over Cuba and this is my favourite place to be. This time I traveled with Sunwing. The beach is still terrific and the reef still amazing. Sunwing is very good to travel with and their rep Mirelbis is a knowledgable advisor as well as a great amiga. She's always fun to talk to.

Hotel Ancon has an entertaining show in the evenings with talented dancers and great choreography. Just bring earplugs for the deafening volume the show is presented at.

I did not get the room I requested and ended up with a king size bed. I did get oceanfront but the bed should have been replaced decades ago. Because it was a king bed they were unable to change it since there was no replacement.

The location of this resort is why I return. It's at the end of the peninsula and beyond that is pure nature. At night there is no light pollution and the galaxy is another great show to see. When the new moon finally arrived about a week into my stay, I watched it set into the ocean. The sun sets into the ocean as well, right in front on the resort. For more action, there is always Trinidad with it's fabulous musicians and great little restaurants.

I was sorry to find that the Coco Bar at the end of the resort had been closed down. It was not part of the all inclusive package but I really enjoyed sipping wine and having some fresh seafood right on the beach. I was told by a number of people who work at Ancon that there are plans to reopen this or have a new alternative to it so I hope that's the case.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Sirena100
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The one star is for the beach location which is lovely, albeit too far from Trinidad (13km away). The hotel itself has nothing at all to recommend it. I would never have booked this hotel but we were moved here when our Trinidad outskirts hotel was overbooked. For the duration of our stay the lifts were broken (and you could be staying on the 6th floor) and there were no beach towels (delivery problems). It might be "all inclusive" but don't expect shampoo or a hairdryer in your room. Do expect dodgy electrics and plumbing, an aircon unit that sounds like a jet engine but does nothing to cool your room and to hear your neighbours' television through the walls. This is the sort of hotel where people rush out to "bag" beach loungers with their towels before 7am and leave their belongings there all day even though they are away for hours so making it hard to find anywhere to sit. Meal times in the small and badly laid out buffet restaurant are a frenzy of gluttony, shoving and elbowing all the more inexplicable because the food is truly appalling. Any half decent food is gone in seconds but mostly it's inedible and clearly rolled forward from meal to meal. Don't touch the grey, greasy "coffee" served in the breakfast buffet. Go to the bar instead and order coffee made on the espresso machine. 15 minutes after the evening buffet service opens you can be told to go away because the restaurant is full. Without a reservation made earlier in the day you can't go into the other restaurants. The queue for breakfast starts well before the 7.15am opening. A truly awful all round experience. Don't stay here unless you absolutely must.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LDB65
Reviewed February 20, 2012

It was NOT my choice to stay at the Hotel Ancon. I was with an Explore tour group that couldn't get us rooms in Trinidad as planned and sprung a 3-night stay at the Hotel Ancon as a nasty surprise. That rather sets the context for this review. It probably won't be of any use to anyone who is just looking for a cheap tropical holiday with unlimited free drinks and doesn't care about the quality of the food or rudeness of fellow guests. But if you're like me and tend to avoid all-inclusives, this place will epitomise everything you want to avoid -- if you've seen a deal for the Ancon somewhere and are thinking "what the hell, maybe I'll give one of these cheap resort deals a go", THINK AGAIN about going with this place. It was appalling. The food was atrocious, the rooms were shabby, and the guests were incredibly rude. The staff, by contrast, were quite nice and the stretch of beach the hotel was on rather lovely. Fortunately, Trinidad was an 8 CUC taxi ride away and there were always taxis waiting at the hotel.

In short, never again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank travelling_is_bliss
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We had spent 3 days at a 4 **** in Varadero and were not very impressed. With this fresh in our minds, we were a bit worried about the 3*** Ancon and were very pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable our stay was. We had an issue with our room (no hot water, inoperable mini fridge, non working bedside lamp....oh dear....this did not look good...) However, after a word with the front desk, all was taken care of and with great courtesy and effort, esp. by our floor maid, Lilian.
Lovely pool, (best pinas in Cuba...) gorgeous beach, lots of areas to sit and sip, relax, snack etc. Food was not fantastic, but much better than our 4**** trough at Varadero and the dining room had a better layout.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and farthest away from the nightly entertainment.....so it was very peaceful and quiet. However, you better like exercise....there was only one service elevator working for the whole hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pennymasae
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Travelled to Cuba November 2011 and stayed there for 4 nights.

It was wrong from the beginning when they gave us a twin room when we obviously a couple and booked a double room. Walked all the way down from the 6th floor (lift was broken at that time) for the receptionist to tell me that they actually got a double room but did not give us because she did not check properly!

If you are on all inclusive package, all 3 restaurants in the hotel which are included but receptionist will not tell you that two of them need to be booked in advance. The food is ok but had better food in Cuba!

The walls between the rooms are VERY thin, unfortunately they was a lady who was ill next door and could hear her coughing, talking, crying and even when the shower was on!

Overall enjoyed my stay in the hotel, clean and spacious rooms and lovely beach!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple