All reviewsstate parkdining roomthe pubget awaynew ownershidden gemafter a long daynight capstaff was very friendlyantique furniturewonderful experiencesmall townbrunchbasementcavessundayrenovation
Reviewed September 28, 2017

Me and my husband stayed the night at the Decker Hotel for an anniversary trip. It is very impressive they are maintaining such a beautiful building along with historic pieces of furniture and items specific to the location.

The service was good and they had a restaurant attached which we had dinner at. We both ordered a steak which was in a strange rosemary garlic sauce we both did not like. My husbands steak was supposed to be well done and it was rare or medium rare. They were very gracious and when asked how we liked the food we were polite but honest. Both of our steaks were taken away and they cooked us a new steak and new sides since our sides would be cold. So outstanding service and consideration for patrons! Thank you!

Back to the hotel stay; being a historic building I understand it is a step back into history but there are a couple changes I would expect any location to have. Any hotel needs to be handicap friendly and this one has not addressed this issue yet. They really need to include a small fridge in each room, even the smallest possible would suffice. Also, the coffeemaker is becoming somewhat outdated. I would do away with it or put in a Keurig if one is to bother at all with that sort of thing.

Another issue is the bathroom in our room felt more like a cupboard. Way to small. The toilet was so close to the sink there was hardly any room to stand up or sit down without bumping into the sink.

I know changes can be costly but if they would like to maintain the hotel in the future I think some of these things should be addressed.

Room Tip: Historic, Romantic Location
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Kendra1875, Guest Relations Manager at Decker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2017

LoLoRaner,

Thank you for taking the time to review and comment on your stay at the Decker Hotel. Thank you for your feedback regarding the design of the room in which you stayed. We will keep this in mind for possible future renovations.
We are very glad you included the Decker in your anniversary celebration! Please visit again soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2017

My parents, my wife, and I stayed at the Decker Hotel this past weekend. My parents stayed in a separate room. Upon checking in, the desk clerk gladly shared some of the hotel's history with us. The decor and furnishings of the hotel remain in the era in which it was built with original woodwork. The hotel is very well maintained for its age. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly entertain the idea of staying again if ever back in Maquoketa. The staff was very pleasant and courteous during our two night stay.
A complaint I would have is how close the toilet is located to the sink in the bathroom. The bathroom was modern and clean, but the toilet is located in a position to where your leg has to be up against the sink in order to use it.
They lock the front door during the later evening and overnight hours when no one is at the front desk. Each patron has a key to the front door, but the wood door jam behind the strike plate is missing. Someone without a key could very easily use a screwdriver or another pointed instrument to push the slip lock back into the door to gain access to the lobby. This creates a false sense of security and defeats the purpose of locking the front door.
The hotel has an elevator if one cannot climb the stairs. However, on the second floor the elevator stops on the stair landing about 6 steps short of the second floor.
All in all, the Decker Hotel is a very nostalgic and pleasant hotel that is unlike any modern hotel chain. The hotel is very old, but is well maintained and very charming.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

jroagreenwood,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Decker. We are aware of the absence of a part on our front lobby door and have addressed that with management, so thank you for sharing your concern with us.

Please visit us again soon; thanks again!

Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here was for a family wedding. If I could have moved to a different hotel, I would have done so. I received a wedding discount, but even that was costly for what was offered: no ice machine; no room frig; no one at the desk on potentially busy times; front door locked by 9:00 pm (weird even for a weekend night); not handicap friendly; elevator reaches 2nd floor but have to walk up steps to reach room level; mattress needed flipping; lacking furniture and bath cabinet (no desk nor reading lamp); tiny antique-type tables are cute but impractical; no one at desk when checking out on a Monday morning; no TV instructions nor schedule. Way overpriced for what I got. Toilet and sink too close together, too. I'm short, so can't imagine what a taller person would have done when I bumped my knee on the sink pedestal and by,odd my rm in the sink itself. Poor design and poor lighting. Will not recommend. Not sure how it reached a "national building rating" unless it's just for keeping an old building from being torn down.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2017

The Decker Hotel is a hidden gem! I was so ecstatic to find a pet friendly hotel that was quiet and clean. Staff was very welcoming and accommodating while planning our stay and during the stay itself. Cool vintage/antique atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Kendra1875, Guest Relations Manager at Decker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2017

Chelsea, thank you for taking the time to review the Decker Hotel! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay as well as your furry friend. We hope to see you again in the future! Thanks again.

Reviewed August 14, 2017

Very quaint hotel. Historic building. Preserved. Plenty of free parking. I flew to Dubuque for a job in Rock Island, IL. This was a perfect place to rest for the night. A gem in the middle of nowhere Iowa. Gorgeous exterior. High ceiling interiors. Creaking floorboards, likely to have ghosts within the perfectly wallpapered walls. The restaurant is the best in town with perfectly prepared comfort foods at perfectly fair prices. Wish they had more vegetarian options. 90% of their menu features chicken and I don't each chicken because my chihuahua is about the size of a small chicken. So, i choose not to eat something that reminds me of my dog. But their tuna melt was one of the best I've had (get it on rye bread)! The sweet potato fries are crunchy and fresh, served up with a pickle on the side. Great vibe and friendly customer service. Although beautiful and cutesy, it was hard to sleep with all the lights out. A tad bit creepy and a ghostly air. I slept with the television on for companionship. Speaking of television: an abundance of great channels to choose from. And although this place is old, the wifi still works at modern speed. I would definitely recommend the Decker. It also has a very creative vibe so it's a nice stop to lay your head and maybe write a novel, or a poem, or a blog, or maybe just a Tripadvisor review.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business

Hey Gabriela, thanks for reviewing the Decker! We are hoping for our restaurant to be open again in a few more weeks. If you return in the future, definitely give our portobello burger a try as well as our hummus platter and veggie wraps (I am vegetarian myself!). Speaking of ghosts - we had a paranormal team come visit the Decker this past year and although they found some activity, rest assured any spirits who are here are friendly and willing to share their home with you! We would love to see you in the future. Thanks so much!