See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 12, 2016 via mobile

Wow! What a great find! My husband and I were on a road trip down memory lane in NE Iowa and stumbled across this adorable B&B. The castle is located right on the road by the mighty Mississippi River. The accommodations are clean, tidy, and comfortable . We stayed in the room with the king which overlooked the river. Wifi is available for those of you who can't live without it! Sharon the owner, is welcoming and very helpful! Take a early morning stroll while the mist is still on the river. You will not be disappointed. Thanks, Sharon for your hospitality. We will be back!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MsSnicker
Reviewed September 1, 2015

The location on the bank of the Mississippi River affords a front row seat for the parade of barge and boat traffic. Sharon, the manager, prepared delicious breakfasts, regaled us with local lore, and keeps the Castle in great repair and immaculately clean. The house is large allowing people to spread out for quiet time, or stick around for interesting chats with the other guests. We stayed in the King room which is LARGE, comfortable, and a offers a perfect view of sunrises over the River on lazy lying-in mornings. When you need to reach out to the real world, the WiFi worked well and full access cable TV reminded us why we were glad we were on vacation.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank MaeMc
Reviewed August 7, 2015

This spacious beautiful comfortable home provided excellent accommodation in Iowa’s only Island City. Our rooms were clean and generously sized with picture postcard views across the Mississippi. Our host, Sharon was very welcoming and immediately made us feel at home.

Breakfast exceeded expectations with lashings of bacon and French toast and fruit parfait! And all beautifully presented.

Free wifi was available, and worked well.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul_K_Gray
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I LOVE staying in B&Bs. I enjoy it so much better than motel rooms. We also got lucky & enjoyed the other guests. We had plans to visit friends in Clinton. Checked the internet & found The Castle. Sharon was great . Never found a place & owner more trusting & casual. I didn't realize it was a shared bathroom situation but Sharon had very nice robes in our room. One thing I like about B&B is the variety in the places we had stayed. Definitely not the fanciest place we'd stayed but it was very friendly & unique. Breakfast wasn't elaborate, just great Iowa breakfast. GO Hawkeyes! :)

Room Tip: Rooms are very affordable. Invest the extra $10 & stay in the King room. The view of the Mississippi is incredible!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darla T
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Looking through our list of Iowa B&B's we found Castle Bed and Breakfast in Sabula, Iowa. We looked on our Iowa map to find where Sabula was located. It was on the Mississippi River which is just what we were looking for. I made a call to see if we could get a room for one night and was glad I called. Sharon is the hostess at this Bed and Breakfast located on an island.

We arrived to find It is more than just booking a room; you can enjoy the den for watching TV or reading, or checking your email, as she offers free wi-fi. We were welcome to help ourself to a soda or a bottle of water from the frig. My first concern as she showed me around, was that each room did not have it's own bathroom. I needn't have worried, as we were the only guests, for the night we stayed.
Did I mention breakfast? We were seated at a table looking right out at the Mississippi River where we enjoyed a hearty breakfast. This home is well maintained and if you are looking for a place to take the family, rent the whole house. Enjoyed staying this close to the river, watching the barge traffic. Big screened in porch where you could spend at least a month just relaxing.

Room Tip: I gave the location and rooms a Very Good, as the B&B is not convenient to a City, but if you are looking to stay along the Mississippi River it is perfect and quiet. If each room had it's own bathroom, it would have been Excellent. We prefer ensuite bathrooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple