See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 24, 2009

This hotel use to be a great place to stay and was always very clean. It is under new owners and the property is not well kept. We have stayed here for at least the past 5 years and under the new owners, this hotel is getting poor reviews. The first thing I noticed was the inability to understand the person on the phone taking the reservations. I had booked an extra room and when I called back a few weeks later, she did not have the room down for us. The rooms smelled of smoke and they were suppose to be non-smoking rooms. We went out and bought cleaning supplies to disinfect our rooms. I cleaned the air conditioner, replaced a bulb in the bathroom so that we could see, dusted and disinfected everything, noticed that the vacuum is run up to the wall, but not cleaned right up against the wall, and were short on towels in the room (only two bath towels, hand towels and washclothes in each room). The other five parties in our group had the same issues. We were also told that we could use the family room, but learned that help stays in there and that we were putting them out so that we could all be together and play cards. The sign on the door states that the room is availble for use from 7am-1am, but at midnight we received a call asking when we would be out. The food at the breakfast was not replenished and some were only able to have toast. Upon checking out, the person just spoke to us from the back room and never came out to take our keys, thank us for staying or any of the normal nice things that are usually said from hotel owners. I am afraid that if this new owner doesn't improve on their cleaning and hospitality, that they will end up going out of business. I hope they read these reviews and make improvements for their next guests. We are currently looking for a better hotel to stay at next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TouristMN
Reviewed July 23, 2009

rooms are not clean , outdated , hotel has been neglegted for a long time .i would not go back, heard of alot of complants .

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2008

My Son and I stayed at this hotel, because they had a room available at the time we needed it.

We found the room to be very outdated (1970's) and very unconfortable including the beds (like sleeping on wood doors), the pillows were very thin, I needed three to support my head. My son who can sleep almost anywhere had trouble sleeping on his bed.

We both couldn't wait to check out the very next morning (early) and check into another hotel.

On the plus side the clerk was polite.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I have stayed at the Shamrock inn many times in the past. I have never had a bad experience there. The odor( that was reported in another reveiw) comes from the building across the street. It is the Berkely factory they are manufacuring fishing lures there. It is not that bad. The people at the Shamrock have always been very pleasant. If you are on a fishing trip to the Okoboji/Spirit Lake area they often reduce the price if it on the off season. O highly recommend the Shamrock Inn.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank stebrichs