“Great Option In Urbandale”

Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Minneapolis
“Great Option In Urbandale”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I'm originally from Urbandale and so I have to go back now and then to visit family. The Hilton has become the hotel of choice for me and my boyfriend when we come to the area. I like the location - when we get off the highway it's right there, and despite being near I80, it's quite tranquil.
It's a family hotel, so getting alone time at the pool is nigh impossible. There's also sadly no one around to enforce the rules of "no screaming" and "no jumping" in the pool area. But if you're lucky to catch a time when there are no kids, it's small but pretty nice.
Rooms are just fine - I question the effectiveness of the 'adjustable' beds, because every night I'm there I try a different setting and I don't think it actually changes. Regardless, the beds are fine and the rooms are quite spacious - with mini fridges, coffee makers, and microwaves included.
The people at the desk are a bit impersonal. No eye-contact when you check in, and not really much for conversation. I understand this is not a hotel geared towards personal service however so for efficiency's sake the check-ins/outs are quick and easy.
Generally, I'd call it a nice hotel, and I'll keep going back if I keep finding decent rates online.

Room Tip: I like upper floor facing the highway, but it's merely a personal preference. I'm sure all o...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Husband and I stayed here during a three-day conference in October. Hotel staff was mostly friendly, except for one front desk person who seemed aloof and uninterested. The room was quite large, as was the bathroom. Our room had a little "kitchen" area, with a sink, little refrigerator, and microwave. The desk setup was nice, with access to plug-ins for computer, cell phone, etc. King-sized bed was very comfortable, and the linens were nice and fresh. We found the room to be very quiet, even though the hotel sits very close to I-80. We didn't use the fitness room or the indoor pool, but they looked very nice.

One odd thing about this hotel is their "cafe" right off the front lobby. There is an island, of sorts, that has muffins and fruit sitting on it. If you look closely, there is a small sign that says you can purchase breakfast, either a hot breakfast buffet, or a cooked to order breakfast, or a "Continental" with just pastries, fruit, juice, etc. When my husband went down to the lobby on our first morning, he missed seeing the sign and thought it was a complimentary Continental breakfast, like you'd find at Holiday Inn Express and other hotels like that. Nobody was tending the breakfast area, so he grabbed a cup of (substandard) coffee and a couple of mini muffins, thinking they were free with the room. Whoops!! No one confronted him about it, but when I went down to the lobby later, I walked up to the breakfast "island," walked around it and saw the sign. I felt the price for the Continental breakfast was too high for what you were getting, so I left and went across the street for a latte at Starbucks. Yeah, Starbucks is expensive, too, but I felt I got a better product for my money there. In any case, the rooms at this hotel are expensive enough that you should expect to receive at least a free Continental breakfast with the room. The little pastries, fruit, and coffee aren't great, so charging so much for these things seemed like pocket gouging to me.

Bottom line, yes, the room was nice. Very expensive, however, so I don't think we would have stayed there if we hadn't come for a conference on the company's dime.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We stayed here for one night while passing through the area. The room was very nice (though the sink was very clogged!), quiet and comfortable. The exercise room was very good - fresh towels, purified water, and some of the same exercise machines as our gym at home. We didn't swim in the indoor pool, but it looked well maintained. There is a shopping center nearby, including a grocery stores, big movie theater, and several restaurants. Some of the nearby restaurants (e.g., Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks) are walkable. I'd stay here again if we're in the area again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper-floor room for a nice view of the area.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Champlin, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The hotel was good overall. Clean rooms, sheets, bathrooms. The wifi was spotty in the rooms which was disappointing. There was a good size pool and whirlpool. The exercise room has personal TVs for every machine. Breakfast isn't free though. Good hotel overall.

• Stayed October 2011
Groveland, California
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This hotel was best accommodations on our two week driving trip. The front desk, and in particular Taylor, made our stay memorable. She recommended dining places and went above and beyond. Rooms were clean, spacious, and comfortable. The bed was comfortable, linens lush and breakfast was good with reasonable prices. It is just off the interstate, with no noise and very convenient for traveling. Don't hesitate; stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for three nights for a wedding. The hotel is in a convenient location, just off the interstate. However, despite being on the second floor, we didn't hear any traffic noise during our stay. It's a pretty short drive to downtown from the hotel, but if you want to be close to downtown, I would suggest staying elsewhere.

The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful when we checked in! That was much-appreciated after a long day of traveling. We were somewhat disappointed to receive a second floor room after requesting a room on a high floor, but it really did nothing to diminish the quality of our stay. The room itself was very clean. The furnishings were pretty standard for a Hilton Garden Inn.

We received coupons for a complimentary breakfast. All of the hot and cold food that we tried was very good. We particularly enjoyed the made-to-order omeletes.

The fitness center was small, but it was adequate for a quick workout. There was a bike, a treadmill, and an elliptical. We didn't use the indoor pool or whirlpool, but they both looked very inviting.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
hiawatha, ia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed here in July 2011. Clean comfortable and accomodating to our large group (11) families.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
0.3 km away
TownePlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale
0.6 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Des Moines/Urbandale

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale? Share your experiences!