“New hotel runs circles around old location.”

Holiday Inn Express Waterloo
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Oakbrook Terrace, IL
“New hotel runs circles around old location.”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My family stayed here for one night while attending a graduation in the area. I had stayed at the hotel four years earlier when it was located next door (now the Baymont Inn.) I am so very happy that the hotel was rebuilt as the former hotel was atrocious.

The hotel is weird looking from the outside; don't really care for the design. Inside is very nice. The hotel was clean, comfortable and amazingly quiet for being next to a highway. The staff was friendly, but there was only one person at the desk and I had to wait for them at one point as he was off doing something else.

We didn't use the pool or fitness center, but they looked decent and clean. The free continental breakfast was average.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 June 2011

There aren’t many hotel options in Waterloo. This is probably one of the best. It’s fairly new, close to shopping and easy access off of the main highway. The rooms were very nice. We had two rooms, one was a standard size the other one was on the end of the hall and was HUGE! If you need a lot of space request one of the rooms on the end. We didn’t really explore the area as it was just a stop on a very long road trip. You can’t go wrong with this hotel. It is nice, clean and quiet with a great breakfast in the morning. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Trevor, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I've spent time in a few Waterloo hotels and I always find my way back to the Holiday Inn Express. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are always clean. They always accommodate my special requests with a smile.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I went to this hotel first time with my colleagues, now this will be my "home away home", Priority Club reception was the best part I liked it, we were able to finish our project and enjoyed chilled beer, my colleagues were enjoying glass of wine. So far best valued hotel in town. Everything was clean, I could even smell new paint. Front office personnel were very friendly, now they even know likes and dislikes.
Keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Stayed here for two days on business. It was very close to the plant I visited, but is the next to last building on the road. Food choices in the area are pretty poor, unless you like burger chains.
The building is your standard 4 story AutoCAD box, but it is new, and the rooms are very nice. I got a king at the government rate, and for $78/night, it was a good value. The furnishings are nice, and the room has a fridge, and a big flat screen TV. The bed was the quality you expect at this sort of hotel, and the linens and pillows were nice, too. My room had a lovely view of a highway and a cement plant, and was pretty noisy at night from all the trucks. The bathroom was large, and very attractively furnished. You get a good selection of toiletries.
The pool is nice, but a little chilly, and there is a jacuzzi as well. The morning breakfast is pretty good, at least for something free, and there are a lot of choices.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank roadtripperMaryland
Iowa
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The hotel front desk staff did not know how to check people in.Once we got checked in, we were at opposite ends of the motel from people we were traveling with.(after being assured on phone we would be next to or close to each other) The rooms were very pricey for a small town in Iowa.We stayed on 3rd floor and it sounded like a herd of cows were on 4th floor.Checking out we encountered the same inept help at front desk. After 20 min. there was at least 5 people in line behind us, either checking in or out. What a joke. These people need to be trained better. I've found in the past to stick with Marriott's Residence Inn when traveling with others because they have 2 bedroom suites.Too bad Waterloo didn't have one.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Omaha, Ne
Reviewed 16 July 2009

What you would expect from a new H.I. Express

Nice clean room
Good breakfast
Friendly helpful staff

Only drawback is that you have to drive to dining or shopping - not far - but you must drive.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple