“Don't Forget the Raid”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Clanton, Alabama
“Don't Forget the Raid”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I usually have had good luck with any Super 8 that I have stayed in, and have stayed in at least 30 of them in the past several years while working with my job in many different states. But this one, was not so "super".. After getting settled in somewhat, I was about to finally get some rest.. So, I pull back the corner of the bedding, and was greeted by a BED BUG!! As soon as the light hit it, of course it tried to scurry for the shadows, but I killed it before it got away because I wanted the hotel staff to see it.

I will say that the lady at the front desk was extremely nice, and very sorry for what had happened. It wasn't her fault. She gave me another room on the first floor, and told me to make sure it was ok, and if not then she would keep trying. In this room, the carpet was soaked, with a damp smell that filled the room. Apparently there is some sort of foundation problems here.. I started searching the bedding, and did not have to look for very long, and found bugs. It was not bed bugs this time, but tiny slender looking bugs by the hundreds, yes, hundreds. I assume they were here due to the moist enviroment. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the room was the epitome of just plain filth. It looked like someone had puked down the side of the mattress and box springs on one of the two beds in this room. There was crumbs and trash in the middle of the floor, not up close to the edge where the vacuum could not pick up, but in the middle. I could go on and on, but I think you get it. The maids obviously do not do their job, period. By this time, it was 2 in the morning, and the nice lady at the desk finally found a decent room back on the 2nd floor that I accepted. It was still dirty, but had no bugs and was definately the lesser of the evils. This hotel has major issues, and should be ashamed to rent a room out to anyone while it is in this condition. If you stay here, you will be disappointed, I know I was..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lj0472

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cherokee, Iowa
Reviewed 16 December 2010

We stayed here on our way to Iowa City Hospital. It's location is great, right near the interstates. The rooms were old and funiture had rips in them, kind of reminded me of an airport motel. It was single digit weather that evening and the air was leaking in so bad on the sides of the heating unit, that I had to take whatever papers I could find to block it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
US
Reviewed 14 June 2009

This hotel was extremely shabby. The night clerk was rude. Although we requested to have a non-smoking room and confirmed it in person before going up, we got a smoking room which REEKED of smoke. The room was dirty. My toddler found old food crumbs on the floor and bigger pieces of "garbage". The bathroom was not clean. The shower curtain was torn so part of it was not even hanging properly to close. The clerk claimed there were no more rooms available so we spent a very uncomfortable night in a reeking room.

In the morning, checking out took 20 minutes. The lobby has the "breakfast" area and the morning clerk was sitting there while we waited to check out. Several times she looked in our direction but did not come up to check us out until she was done taking her break.

I wrote a letter to complain about the service and received a poorly written apology.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank diabolka
TharaldsonCorporate, Hotel Management Company at Super 8 Waterloo, responded to this review, 11 September 2009
I would like to thank you for the feedback on our hotel. We value all feedback from our guests and utilize it to evaluate what we are doing right and what can be done to improve each stay for all our guests. We are always open to suggestions as we continuously look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences at our hotel. We desire to address any situation immediately in hopes that you will look to us again in the future when booking a room in Waterloo.
Michigan
Reviewed 13 June 2008

Stayed one night. Very typical Super 8. Thin walls/ceilings. Tiny breakfast area. No lobby PC. Located next to shopping district. Taco Bell shares parking lot, many other dining/shopping options nearby. No major issues.

• Liked — Cost
  • Disliked — Lack of ameneties
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
des moines
Reviewed 16 December 2007

ruby in des moines,ia. stayed at this hotel, because normally super 8 is a nice place, this was a let down, the chair in the room was tore up and had food under the cushion, the staff was helpful on directions, the key card didn't always work, they need to replace the furniture in the room, for the money it's not worth it. they also need to put microwaves in all rooms.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple