“Amazing pie!”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Called in on a Thursday teatime. Had the special of chicken and mushroom pie with chips - the best I've ever tasted! My husband had the roast lamb which again was beautiful. Staff very pleasant and attentive. Would definitely recommend.

4  Thank cookieannabella

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely beef dinner , nice relaxed atmosphere with lovely bi lingual staff , we can't comment on the puddings as we had no room

3  Thank seahippy
Reviewed 3 September 2017

I've been here before and it was good, so I was very glad to get a table at short notice last Saturday night. The place is bright and clean, with a good atmosphere and attentive staff, but something behind the scenes must have been 'wrong' on Saturday, because the place was relatively quiet for all the time we were there (right up until nearly 9.30pm) yet the lady behind the bar was turning away passing trade, saying they were 'full tonight'.

Then there was the beer - a local golden ale brew and Timothy Taylor, both on hand-pull. The temperature of the first I tried (the local brew) was right, but the pint was so obviously 'at the end of the barrel' (incredibly cloudy and reeking of yeast) that any barman worth his salt would have rejected it immediately. However, the bar staff didn't do that, so I had to do it for them - twice, when they bought me a second pint of exactly the same thing, even though I'd rejected the first pint and asked to have it replaced by a pint of Timothy Taylor. To be fair they didn't charge for either of the bad pints and I did eventually get a pint of Timothy Taylor. However, it wasn't in much better condition either, I'm afraid. And before you think this is just a matter of taste, I am old enough to have drunk Timothy Taylor the length and breadth of the country, from Cornwall to Durham and this was the very worst example of it I have ever tasted.

On to the food and it was OK, but nothing spectacular - which would be fine, except we ended up paying nearly £40 a head for two courses and a couple of drinks each. I'm afraid for that sort of money, I expect better.

I'd give the Black Lion another go if we visit the area again, because there is a chance we just experienced it on a bad day. If not, then I'm afraid I don't think it's going to survive, with excellent alternatives like the Black Seal at Trearddur now available.

Mari F, Owner at Black Lion Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Yet another reviewer, having been before, and had a good experience, and not bothering to leave a good review, but feels compelled to criticise publicly when there is something not to their liking !

We did not choose to be running to full capacity and turning tables on the night in question, however we were fully booked for the early part of the evening and then had a large party booked in for 8.30 pm for a special occasion and wanted to ensure that all went smoothly for their special meal so did not take any walk ins after 7.45pm. It has been an extremely busy August, and with a very busy Sunday lunchtime ahead, our staff deserved a quieter than usual Saturday evening service.

As for your comment on the beer, as a regular drinker, you will be aware that every barrel will eventually come to an end and sometimes those pints at the end of the barrel aren't at their best and that is exactly what happened to you. Now having heard that you were not happy with the local ale and to apologise that it maybe should not have been served to you as it was coming to an end of the barrel, I personally came to check that you'd received a fresh pint of Timothy Taylor and to ensure that you were happy with that, I recall asking how's the Timothy Taylor and your response was 'Fine' !!
We are regularly complimented on the quality of the real ale and larger that we keep here at the Black Lion. I find your comment about the Timothy Taylor hard to believe as the barrel was changed the day before your visit and our beer lines cleaned in their usual manner that week, we'd sold many pints of Timothy Taylor that day and were again complimented on the quality of the beer by other customers. If you were not happy with the Timothy Taylor and you would have mentioned this quietly to me at the time, I am old enough to deal with a situation of this kind and would have given you the Timothy Taylor free of charge. Instead, you chose to slate the Black Lion publicly on Tripadvisor !!

It is reviewers like yourself that will cause the demise of our business, not the prices we have to charge for our locally sourced food and drink, in order to make a living for ourselves, our staff and the many small food producers we support locally.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

The meal was delicious! Finely complimented by a local welsh ale bloudath or something. The waiter that looked after us was a charming young lad who was happy to help at all times. The staff member behind the bar was also extremely helpful when describing the selection of drinks! Would definitely recommend this welcomeing little restaurant. Only complaint I might have is that the price was a bit steep but what do you expect from home cooked food!

3  Thank _simonreece
Reviewed 31 August 2017

Booked for Sunday lunch but it wasn't that busy. Very welcoming staff. Comfortable and pleasant interior. Owner made a huge fuss of the dog which always helps, feeding her dog biscuits etc! Good roast dinner, plenty of veg, potatoes could've been crispy but that's just to my taste. Quite expensive but worth it for the surroundings and atmosphere.

3  Thank RosiePosie2014