“No atmosphere, not very welcoming”

Black Lion Restaurant
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2017 via mobile

This place looks good lovely inside and out, but the good news ends there, it's neither a pub nor a restaurant although it looks like a pub there is no bar action and although the price of the food implies restaurant quality restaurant quality it ain't. I had mushroom starter which was tepid and writes tasting (I think it had Chinese 5 spice in it) followed by muscles, all my muscles had grit and were small and over cooked, my hubby had burger which was not home made. I'd say give this place a miss as there are plenty of friendly nice places nearby.

3  Thank stanwally

Reviewed September 26, 2017 via mobile

Very old 18th century exterior with 21st century decor inside. Fantastic food and service. Main and desert with a couple of drinks each was approx £65 so not cheap but very good quality.

4  Thank Karen F
Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

Visited here with my family of four adults plus an infant and the dog. Staff were friendly. The menu has a good selection. Service was timely. The meals served were gorgeous! Tasty and well cooked, succulent chicken, veg not over done. Our entire table commented on how good their meal was. I would very much like to eat here again!

4  Thank Gemma I
Reviewed September 14, 2017

Called in on a Thursday teatime. Had the special of chicken and mushroom pie with chips - the best I've ever tasted! My husband had the roast lamb which again was beautiful. Staff very pleasant and attentive. Would definitely recommend.

4  Thank cookieannabella
Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely beef dinner , nice relaxed atmosphere with lovely bi lingual staff , we can't comment on the puddings as we had no room

3  Thank seahippy