“Love the sushi and lunch specials”

Mr. Cao Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #69 of 125 Restaurants in Hutchinson
Reviewed 6 October 2016

My family really enjoys eating at Mr. Cao's. We like the sushi choices and really like the hibachi shrimp meal. We frequently go at lunch time as it is less expensive.

Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

I called to ask a couple of questions and get a reservation. I was treated very poorly. She refused to accept a reservation for a party of 4. And she was very rude in her approach. I never even got to me last question because I didn't want her to treat me like she was treating me. My other 2 questions she acted as if I should simply just know the answer I'm from out of town and I do not know what type of restaurant they are so I had some simple questions to ask. We took our business somewhere else .

Reviewed 16 July 2016

One is always a bit leery of sushi in a rural town. This is in central Kansas so just about as far away as you can get from the ocean.

The decor was bright and clean and fairly simple. We were seated in the bar area with a view of the kitchen and the Sushi bar.

Staff were friendly and as the restaurant was almost emply, we had our choice of seats.

The menu has a LOT of options with the two main areas being Sashimi/rolls and Tappenyaki. We started off with Tuna Tataki to sample while having a drink. It was delicious. The Tuna was fresh and very tender and the sauce was sweet/salty and a nice balance to the fish.

I ordered the "Kiss Roll" a lovely composition of Tuna and celery rolled in a thin layer of rice topped off with avacado and a mound of shredded crab. It was most excellent. The flavors and textures blended nicely and there was not the usual sauces and foo foo additions that take away from the fish. It was not a lot to eat for $12.00, but with the bowl of chicken broth soup (rich and flavorful) it was a nice meal. I probably could have eaten another roll or sampled some of the sashimi, but decided to not overdo it.

The sevice, while friendly, was a bit uneven. Things did not come out in a smooth order and there seemed to be no coordination among staff so things were hurry up and wait during the whole meal.

I would recommend this restaurant and would eat here again if in the area. It is always nice when a place exceeds my expectations.

Reviewed 30 June 2016

We are not familiar with Hutchinson at all. After spending time buying a car, we asked the finance person his recommendation for a Chinese restaurant. He didn't have one but highly recommended Mr. Cao for Japanese. We are glad we took him up on his idea. Delicious fresh sushi. The portions were generous and the price was right. Atmosphere is great. Kind of modern, light and airy rather than dark Japanese restaurants we've been to previously.

Reviewed 11 April 2016

We ordered a couple of rolls of sushi and the tuna tataki. My wife also had the ginger salad, which was fresh and crisp, but unfortunately swimming in dressing. The service was quick and friendly. The next time, I will order several orders of the tuna tataki. It was absolutely outstanding. Not that the rolls weren't good, but tataki was just so much better.