“Pleasant Surprise, Yet”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed September 7, 2017 via mobile

Have been in area for two years. First time to Panchos. A 24 hour restaurant, converted Dairy Queen, not appealing. However, the combination meal was very filling. And, freshly prepared. Not steaming hot, not charro beans, no guacamole on plate. Various sauces water downed. Over priced. Plastic forks and plates. Yet, the food was good.

Reviewed September 1, 2017

Okay. I have eaten at many "Mexican" restaurants all over the globe, and nothing is as good as what I know as Authentic Mexican near the border of Mexico.
I'm from California/Arizona, and what other folks (especially in the mid west) not from the west/southwest don't seem to know is this: If the place looks like a craphole, it's generally the best and most authentic Mexican food you can find in town.
I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just what I know!

If you have ever been in AZ, CA, MexiCali, or the south west and ate at Filibertos, Amados, Rivas, OR any 24-hour joint that has a salsa bar (with fill your own pico/hot sauce cups) then this place is for you! If the menu you're looking for DOES NOT have ground beef products BUT has shredded beef, carne asada, carnitas, chorizo, menudo, THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU!

After many years of living far from home (WA, TN, Germany), we got stationed in Ft Riley, and just like those many other places, I had no hope for authentic Mexican food near by. We drove by Poncho's on 6th Street a few times, and I had a feeling it was "Thee one" after noticing the 24 sign, and the lack of cuteness. I hate to be a turd, but we've found tons of 'cute' so-called Mexican restaurants in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and even in Europe. They all look nice and pretty, but the food sucked.
When I noticed the appearance of Ponchos, I had a feeling...I had this feeling that maybe, possibly it could have what we desired.
IT DELIVERED.
The food was so hot that we had to eat our burritos with forks. The carne asada was on point. The Pico de Gayo: On point. The taquitos (rolled tacos): Just like home.
The only cons I would say is that what I tasted that was advertised as "hot" wasn't hot, like the salsa. Not hot enough! The guac was a bit different than I'm used to (it wasn't slightly chunky like home), but not terrible.

Honestly, anyone that would give this place a bad review is nuts OR doesn't know what good, AUTHENTIC Mexican tastes like. Speaking from my upbringing, this is the closest thing I have found to true Mexican in all of our duty stations away from home. I will definitely be returning. Just writing about it makes me hungry all over again.

1  Thank TNoslen
Reviewed April 11, 2017

If you are looking for Mexican take out this is the place. Their flour tortillas are amazing. You can order them as a side. Breakfast burritos are huge. Not been disappointed with either their Chimichanga or the Chile Verde. Open all the time.

Reviewed March 27, 2017

Everyone that lives here says to try it and it's really good and a great price. It was a giant Chorizo burrito that I tried. well worth it!

Reviewed February 1, 2017 via mobile

Very large breakfast burrito, more than an average person could eat. Not cheap though over $7.00 for one. It wasn't stingy on the meat or any of the other fillings, it just wasn't very flavorful. No seasoning at all except for whatever sauce you may put on it. Tried lunch there another day fairly large portions but just too bland for me.