“Great family friendly place but expensive”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
“Great family friendly place but expensive”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The rooms are worn but what do you expect when herds of children happily wander the halls! My kids loved the waterpark and magi quest games. It was expensive but I liked the time spent with them and how much fun they had.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Staff was excellent all around. I must say this first. Secondly, i must add that i am not a big fan of disney and co like resorts.

The rooms were disappointing. We had the kid camp room and it was definitely one where you wanted to keep your socks on at all times. The queen bed was uncomfortable and sagged, the kids's beds were rock hard, the sleeper couch .... Let's not even go there. There was door slamming until about 1 am when we finally got the front desk to do something about it.

The waterpark was ok. The kids had fun, especially our three younger ones. All in all, it was way too expensive for what it was.

1 Thank Jane B
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We visited Great Wolf Lodge over Spring Break so the kids could have some fun. The pool/water park area was great. The tables where people ate needed serious attention. They were dirty and food was left everywhere. The service at the snack bar was extremely slow!! Had to ask about out food 3 times!! Over 20 mins for a personal pan pizza and PBJ meal seems excessive One register open with that many people during spring break? Need to address those staffing issues. We paid over $600 for the Royal bear suite. I understand it is sprIng break but to spend that much $$ seems unreasonable especially when the rooms are in such poor condition. The bathroom had mold and mildew. Have you ever heard of tilex? It does a great job of killing those things. The bear paws was a good deal and the kids had a great time. The woman working the area with the build an animal was wonderful!! Wont be back until rooms are updated and clean!!

1 Thank Tdhwalker
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We value all feedback and use it to make our lodge a greater experience for our guests. I’ve shared your review with our Director of Food and Beverage as well as my Director of Housekeeping.

I hope that you and your family will join us again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 21 March 2012

While it was a pretty fun spot for a one night stay away from home over Spring Break...I am NOT happy to have bed bug bites that started appearing a few days later & PRAYING those little things did not attach to anything & follow us home! My son & I stayed on the pull out couch & it wasn't until yesterday in researching that I'd read anything on bed bugs. They don't show up until a few days later. The kids had a good time, but after checking in around 4 & staying down at the pool until 9 - that was plenty of time in the water park for us Mom's. We made the dad's put on their suits to swim with the kids for a couple hours in the morning until we checked out & left at 11. GWL was responsive when I called & said I would get a refund on my room. One of my main concerns now - are they really going to treat it as they should? A couple of Dr's have said this is serious and they will have to shut down & spray the facility. Funny that another family that was there inquired about a red rash on her kids & wondered if our kdis had any sort of reaction. I'm thinking her's got bit too!

3 Thank ksmama
Thank you for the review. We have a strong prevention program; we consult regularly with a leading pest control service to be sure we are current with the latest prevention methods. All of our housekeeping professionals and managers are trained by this outside service so that they can immediately identify an occurrence.

Unfortunately, bed bugs are a growing problem in the hospitality industry and are most often brought into hotels by guests. On the rare occasion that we do get a report, we take immediate action bringing in professionals from our pest control service to investigate. If necessary, the service will clean the room using a combination of heat and chemical technology, treating everything in the room, including linens, bedspreads, bed frames, mattresses, box springs and rigorously inspecting all surrounding rooms.

I would be more than happy to provide you with a copy of the report from your room or to discuss it with you further. Please call us directly at 913-299-7001.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Enjoyed our time here with our son, d-law, and preschool gkids. Very family friendly. Kids enjoyed the water park and the story times in the lobby. Our suite was very quiet, nice and large, and included a balcony. The property is very easy to find. No worries about being cold, sunscreen, can easily let kids take naps while others are swimming. Check in was a bit slow, but it was spring break... what else would you expect? The rooms are on the verge of needing updating (e.g. new paint, furniture). We'll definitely be back next year.

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I took 3 boys ages 6,9, and 10 there for a quick spring break getaway. We checked in at noon (which was an hour earlier than you are supposed to) and was greeted by Amanda. She was very efficient and got us checked in and off to the waterpark. Within an hour we got a call saying our room was ready.

The water park was great! The kids loved it. I had 2 concerns regarding the waterpark. The most frustrating was the lack of seating. There was not a chair available our entire stay. People claim them with towels and you are stuck in a corner somewhere. Second was the lack of tubes to ride the bigger water slides... They need to come up with a better system. Right now you just stand around and wait and wait and wait for a tube to come available. Well once people realize that, they get a tube and literally hang onto it all day. I say there and watched people come off the waterslide get out of the pool (hanging onto the tube of course) and walk by a line of 20-30 people waiting and just get right back in line. Super frustrating to wait until a tube is available. Riders should have to give up their tube and get back in line. Needless to say I waited a couple times for over 30 minutes for a tube then gave up. I never did get to ride the waterslides. Other than those two issues we thoroughly enjoyed the water area.
I felt like the lifeguards did an amazing job watching out.

Room.... We were in the Royal Bear Suite and it was great! Had a large balcony, seperate bedroom, another queen bed, and a pull out sofa. There was a large seating area for 6. Microwave and mini fridge. Very comfortable and spacious.

Paw pass... If you have kids, get it! It's $60 and kept the kids entertained for hours with activities and treats. Well worth the money. We ate at the bar and grille for dinner and it was great. They had a buffet that night and the food was above average buffet food and a pasta sauté station. We all left stuffed.
We will definitely return!

3 Thank BeachgirlstuckinKS
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We arrived on a Wednesday during spring break. When we got there we waited 1/2 an hour to check in, then another 5 min for an elevator.
In the actual water park, there were no available tubes and the 3 main slides require them! It wasn't until I complained to a manager about the situation that he finally had a lifeguard form a line then began forcing people to give up tubes as they came off the slides. We waited 45 MINUTES! Another guest told me that they normally have a conveyor belt running the tubes up to the top (people were trucking their own tubes up the steps) but "it's been down for two months. Indeed I saw the conveyor belt, not working. This was SPRING BREAK! Another part of the problem with the wait was the timing of people coming down the slides. It was far beyond cautionary. Several people in line started complaining to the lifeguard. Only until we reached the top did we realize that there were only two lifeguards managing rafts going down for 3 slides. It was chaotic, to say the least.
The next morning, I went to get coffee and muffins. That was another 1/2 hour wait, standing in a long line. Two people were on duty to manage all the customers.
This is my family's one and only trip to GWL. The room charge was $300, and another $150 for food and snacks. Unreal for very poor service.
I let the front desk know about my experience, including info about my son who has autism and loves watersides more than anything in the world. Making an autistic child wait for something for such a long period of time is pure torture. Luckily he held it together. The desk said, "Oh we're really sorry about that."
I could go on about a few more things but I'll stop here. Stay away- A RIPOFF.

3 Thank Anthan67
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We value all feedback and use it to make our lodge a greater experience for our guests. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced with your wait in the waterpark, at check in and for your morning coffee.

I would like the opportunity to speak to you more about your review. Please call the lodge directly at 913-299-7001.

Kind Regards,