“3.5 Would be my Rating” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City
“3.5 Would be my Rating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

The exterior to this fortress is beautiful. The large fountain, the exterior lighting and even the massive concrete stairs leading to the main entry. Being winter, the fountain was not working, at night the exterior lights were blinding even with the shades closed and the massive concrete stairs were not fun with suitcases.

Our initital room, not determined to us via one of the travel budget websites so finding out was going to be an adventure. It turned out not to be, we were given the stuffy Lincoln Bedroom. Upon entering the room, it was in the corner , located in the basement, it had a nice bed and a eerrie bust of Lincoln. We asked for a switch, and ended with the Pirate Room.

Pirate room was pretty solid, i'd make the following changes.

1. Television should be flat screen, and on an angle so that both the bed and the whirlpool can see it.
2. TV should not have fuzzy picture.
3. Bed was not very comfortable. Is it possible, more premium rooms have better beds?
4. Did not see a fridge in the room.
5. The shower felt like a 1000 stinging bee stings because the water pressure was so high, the water came out like laser beams.
6. We 'rented' a dvd from the collection , because the cable was turrible. The DVD collection was so dated, that we ended up watching a 10 yr old James Bond movie. DVD's are like 5 to 10 bucks, can't management purchase something new for their library?
7. When we arrived, we were not given the cider as the website boasts, rather when we came back after 10 in the evening, we found a half bottle of cider in an ice pail. Have the freebies available when people check in.
8. I agree with most on here that the breakfast was subpar. The service was very cheery and nice, but the food was less than desired. The drink selection was solid. Would be helpful to hire a new chef for ideas, seriously. Or even better, give everyone a menu from a place that rhymes with Sobb Seven's so they can get that breakfast.

Will we go back? Eh....maybe if they made TV upgrades...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mac_Maximum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Kearney, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

My husband suprised me with a night's stay here for our 10 year anniversary. I nearly died when I saw our big our room was (we stayed at the Monte Cristo), there were rose petals on the bed, and champagne chilling by the sitting room. Definately a memorable stay! Nothing much to complain about, everything was very nice and clean. And, if no one is scheduled to stay in some of the rooms they leave the doors open so you can take a peek at their other themed rooms! Some were small , standard sized hotel rooms while others were much bigger (I definitely got spoiled staying in the Monte Cristo!), staff was friendly! Bed was comfortable as well. Very nice place to stay for a romantic night.

Room Tip: Although the standard size rooms were very neat, if you can afford it, the bigger rooms are the way...
2 Thank joshandkellyl
Leavenworth, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Chateau to celebrate a birthday recently. Once again, an overall outstanding experience. An OUTSTANDING staff totally customer focused coupled with the wonderful ambiance made for a very memorable stay. The Jacuzzi was great and the couples massage, which I HIGHLY recommend, was excellent. The Chateau offers self guided tours of the facility daily which allows you to select from the myriad of rooms available. I've read several reviews about the Jacuzzi not being large enough for two people, that is totally wrong. It's plenty big for two people, so don't be misled. I'm almost six feet tall and can submege my body up to the shoulders while my feet barely touch the other end of the tub with my legs stretched out! Plenty of on demand hot water so that is also incorrect. The television was a LG flat screen pleny big for our needs. Our room was very clean and orderly and the appointments were very nice. This was our third visit having stayed in the "Castaway Isle", "New York Penthouse" and "Camelot" suites and have always been impressed and satisfied. I highly recommend the Chateau to any couple looking for a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: Take the tour if you are in the Kansas City area. If not, call to verify the size of the room and t...
2 Thank Howie K
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband surprised me with a night at the Chateau Avalon for my birthday. He booked the Mayan Rainforest and we loved it. I have never seen a room like that. The pictures on their website for this room don't come even close to doing it justice. It's very cozy and romantic. Yes, the room is small, but if you're looking for a lot of space and typical hotel amenities, you're looking at the wrong place. This is the kind of place you stay on your wedding night, anniversary, honeymoon, etc. Not a family or business trip.
I was also surprised that night with a massage. I can't remember the name of my masseuse, but she was fantastic. After the massage, my hubby had the tub full with bubble bath for us to sink in and relax even more. All the flickering candles (battery operated) were such a pretty, romantic touch, along with the rose-petal turndown service and bottle of Spumante (not the best I've had, but I don't drink and don't care much for alcohol anyway).
The bed was comfortable but the pillows were really thick, like as thick as 2 put together, and weren't as comfortable as I had hoped. The "torch" light next to the bed didn't work right and made a really loud noise, so we just didn't use it. The next morning my husband tried to take a shower and there was zero water pressure. Apparently several of the guests were doing the same and there wasn't enough to go around.
The breakfast was OK, but it's kinda hard to screw up a bagel and cream cheese, however, I had asked for hot chocolate and they brought me coffee (blech). Once that was fixed, I ended up not really liking the hot chocolate. It was really thick and strong.
I didn't notice it, but my husband said he could hear noises from the room next door and the hallway, but this room is right across from the front desk so I would expect some hallway noise. Neither one of us were really bothered by any noise so I would say the place is relatively quiet.
The person that greeted us on our arrival was very nice and any time my husband had to ask a question or have something taken care of, the staff was very courteous and accomodating. He did not like the person who was in charge of the front desk the next morning though. He said she was too businesslike and not very friendly.
Since this stay was a surprise, I have no idea how much he paid for the room, so I can't say as to the value.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The few small hiccups we had didn't deter much from our stay and were, for the most part, quickly and easily fixed, which does make a huge difference. I definitely recommend checking this out if you're in the market for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: When choosing a room, don't go by just the pictures on their website. Check out a brochure or t...
Udall, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Enjoyed our 2 night stay in the Mayan Rainforest. Very quiet - great place to sleep in until served breakfast in your suite. They have some top notch masseuses, enjoyed a great couples hot stone massage.

Kansas City, MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were so disappointed in our stay. Our room was the New York Penthouse. Even with a coupon we still paid over $200. The room was very hard to control the temperature since it was two levels. There is no shower other than the one in the whirlpool tub. In this room, the tub is in the middle of the room. When we tried to shower after using the tub....no hot water! There was only about a foot of walk space between the end of the bed & the tv for the person to walk around to their side of the bed. Very limited cable options...yes I know it's a romantic getaway, but we still wanted to just relax. The bed was NOT comfortable. I had to take a nap the next day at home to make up for my lost sleep. For the worst part....you can hear noise from other rooms...and we didn't want to hear what was going on in the next room!! Our breakfast was awful! I've had better breakfasts at Super 8! The ham & cheese croissant had diced ham & shredded cheese. I'm pretty sure it was just microwaved due to the rubber texture. My fresh fruit was 3 orange slices (thin). That was it. Seriously!! They call themselves a bed & BREAKFAST! The cinnamon roll we had was burnt & dry. Not impressed at all! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express by the Legends the night before our stay here. Their rooms & breakfast FAR surpassed Chateau Avalon. And, it was cheaper!
Some of the rooms don't have windows. If you want Sparkling Cider, you have to ask for it.

Room Tip: Pick one that has windows so you won't feel trapped. Also, one that doesn't have 2 levels.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aldlovetotravel
West Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We booked online via AARP Expedia and received probably the smallest room in the hotel. The front desk clearly stated that they would not move us to another room because we booked on Expedia. The king size bed dwarfed the tiny room leaving only 12 inches to walk between the bed and the table at the end of the bed. Mattress was old and uncomfortable. Second rate dvd/tv set up requiring the guest to manually plug in cable for dvd and unplug to watch TV. Hotel staff was pleasant. The only light in tiny bathroom was connected to the vent fan which sounded like a jet engine. We were awakened in the morning with music from the hallway and outdoor speakers. We were very disappointed with this over-priced and over-promised experience via the website. We cut our stay to one day immediately after arriving.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3.4 km away
Comfort Suites Speedway - Kansas City
1.0 km away
Hampton Inn Kansas City / Village West

Been to Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!