All reviews interior room hot tub indoor pool in town great place to stay clean rooms breakfast room ku basketball nice stay desk clerk free breakfast waffles bed was comfortable staff was friendly hot breakfast western cvs
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked several months in advance and requested 2 queen beds and confirmed the reservation. I then called the night before my stay to confirm my reservation- it was confirmed and I was to have two queen beds. We arrived to discover one queen bed in our room. However, there was nothing to be done because all of the rooms were booked. Every room in Lawrence was booked which left us with very little else to do. Initially I was told what they could do for me was provide us with a rollaway at no charge. I found that unsatisfatory and after a half an hour (staff member was very, very busy yet multitasked and remained professional, yet it took awhile) I spoke on the phone with the manager who told me he would offer me a room for my next trip to Lawrence for 25% of the regular room rate and give me a roll away. Since I booked at a third party discount site, no deductions could be taken from my existing reservation for the inconvenience. I accepted the discount rate for my next visit as I could not come up with a better solution myself. I am not sure I will redeem the offer for my return stay as after pulling back the sheets all the way I discovered the sheets were indeed blood stained as several other reviewers have described. Having stayed in a Best Western four nights in the last month and a half, I can say that this one is not on par with the others. While the staff that assisted with my issue were courteous and genuining trying to seek resolve, the actual facility is in need of major upgrading.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2012

the first review i gave was great, so we wanted to stay again we stay in hotels several times per month while picking up our grandchildren this way we don't have to drive a five hour trip in one day and we have fun anyways when u book a room online with a debit card you get charged usually twice then when the money clears it goes back on your card now if u don't have the money the first time why would u have it the second time ioh well, my bank called and said did i know there were two charges on my card i said no so i called and they told me i got on line to see if it said that any where and it didn't so i called the hotel to see what prices it would be and i got a man i think his name was tony i can't remember and he was very rude so i hung up i made reservations and when i got there who do you think was there but the same guy like i said i think his name was tonly or something i asked if i was going to be charged twice and he said the 800 number office does that not the hotel i said they told me it was the hotel and all i asked was why don't you have it posted or tell people when they use a debit card it will b charged twice he said i could call the 800 office and hit the wall where the number was located i called right there they said they didn't handle that but the hotel did he got very mad and slammed my card down at this point i was getting nervous i had car problems and this is all i needed i said well i don';t feel comfortable staying here with my daughter he said he would get into trouble but he would cancel my reservations after throwing my card again at me i said ok, at this point i wanted out of there i left called the 800 just to make sure it got taken off they were very nice and said sorry they connected back to hotel where the manage wanted to talk to me she said it shouldnt have happened but he said i was rude and arguing i siad i never argued and enjoyed our last stay i just asked a simply question that he turned into a problem she said he would be retrain itls like a bad haircut why comeback to the same person to fix it, i said i wouldn't be back she said ok i work in a person to person field and did say if any of my employees acted like this they would be fired and i never ASKED for anything but i do think i should have been compensated something i called the 800 number and they never tried to make it write they were nice about it but never offered anything the hotel didn't either we have stayed at many five star hotels since then and not so great ones but have never been treated this way the only thing we will b back there next weekend and thats where the grandkids want to stay and i worry if he is there what would he do and i should be given something for the horrible way i was treated which i have never asked for so yes our first time was great and so were the people which i posted here but the next couple weeks this happened then i regretted posting anything and i am worried if we stay and he is there what will he do so it would be a hard decision on if i stay or not i was just asking someone to make it right

Room Tip: the first time we were there great but the second time horrible iam afraid to stay there if this guy is still there thats how bad he was and rude he was the only problem i thought rooms were clean breakfast good service the last time good pool great even the people who were working on the other rooms construction people were very nice so they let one guy ruin it for me and my family i really don't think it was worth it for them and then they didn't try to make it right at all
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank michelle m
James A, General Manager at University Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

When using a debit card, the hotel informs the guest any time a debit card is authorized, a hold is put on that amount of money. As a result, we charge the card at check-in for the stay so the guest does not have the full room charge authorization charged, plus the amount charged at check-out. We do inform the guest we authorize a small amount to cover any incidentals. Any authorizations will be removed, normally within 48 to 72 hours. If the reservation is made through a third party, they will charge the card at the time the reservation is made. Then when checking in, a small amount will be authorized to cover incidentals.
I am sorry you felt the guest service representative was rude. This is something that would not be acceptable and would be addressed appropriately. As we take every guest response very seriously, I reviewed the security tapes, but was unable to find any activity matching the description you provided. Since we do not have anyone working the desk matching the name you thought it may have been and without knowledge of the time you were checking in, we do not have enough information to know who may have been working at that time.
In regards to the 800 number connecting you to the hotel, I am unsure of whom you may have spoken with. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to speak with you, as I would have worked with you to correct the problem to your satisfaction. It is our goal at all times, to meet, or exceed every guest's service expectation. We would like you to stay with us in the future, so we may provide you with the high level of service you expect.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

To be fair, this property has 2 buildings- one with interior corridors, one with exterior. We were in the latter, and it felt more like a motel than a full-service Best Western. It was clean, nothing remarkable positive or negative. Just an odd setup.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed 2 nights while on an adventure while considering KU for our oldest daughter. Room was clean and comfortable. Light over sink area was a bit testy. Pool was clean, and a good temp. Staff was friendly, and when we needed directions, the front desk attendant printed a map for us. Sadly, the breakfast offered was not great. Biscuits were hard as rocks. I recommend ditching the breakfast and heading to Wheatfield's bakery for the most delicious baked goods you'll ever put in your face. Also, a great place for supper is Aladdin's... awesome! All things considered, it was a good stay.

ps- remind the front desk that they need to purchase a cork screw. ;)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here about a year ago and this time we booked it on another website where we supposedly got a better deal if you didn't know where you were going. We were told we were getting a great deal and I guess for Lawrence during the basketball season it was a better price but not much...we could have booked on the hotel website and got a deal a little bit better. The hotel itself is clean and neat and the staff is friendly enough but we did not get the king room we wanted but the room was clean. Shower did not work well; just one solid stream until I messed with it for 15 minutes.

All things considered I was more upset with Hotwire than I was with the motel. I'm not sure we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends